• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Q: Do you believe Pierce is "Schlenk's guy," or do you think Pierce is a bridge to that next head coach? And why?

sturt

19 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Fixed. 2 winning season over .500 with a sub .500 record overall.:approved:

And they should, they have enough high lottery picks.

No kidding JayBird. Orlando hires a guy who was fired by another bad franchise. That is a good thing by some here. I guess Clifford could end up being the Bill Belichick of the NBA; but my money says not!

• Premium Member

Like I said...

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Without the benefit of hidden mics and cams, we're all just guessing about how good a given assistant coach is (which itself is an inherently subjective activity) based on what we see on the resumes, I think we all can acknowledge that, right?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

That’s better than hiring a coach who has never even interviewed for another head coaching job in the nba just so your precious tank philosophy isn’t screwed up.  

So it matters that he didn't have another interview? So if he had several interview but we hired him you'd be ok with it? That makes no sense.

Kidd went straight from the bench to coach. Spoelstra just slid into Riley's spot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So it matters that he didn't have another interview? So if he had several interview but we hired him you'd be ok with it? That makes no sense.

Kidd went straight from the bench to coach. Spoelstra just slid into Riley's spot.

Kidd isn't good, and Spoelstra was an assistant for Riley/Van Gundy for years.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Kidd isn't good, and Spoelstra was an assistant for Riley/Van Gundy for years.

Again....So if he had several interviews but we hired him you'd be ok with it? 

Spoelstra - NBA Assistant coach from 2001 - 2008,  7 years, did not have an interview.

Pierce - NBA Assistant coach from 2007-2018, 11 years, 1 interview.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Again....So if he had several interviews but we hired him you'd be ok with it? 

Spoelstra - NBA Assistant coach from 2001 - 2008,  7 years, did not have an interview.

Pierce - NBA Assistant coach from 2007-2018, 11 years, 1 interview.

If he had been a guy other teams had shown interest in, I wouldn't be as skeptical about the hire.  

The fact that he wasn't on anyone else's radar along with the fact that the Hawks are amid a multi year strategic tank job let's me know all I need to know about this hire.  He was hired for the simple fact that he won't coach the players up enough to screw up the tank.

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If he had been a guy other teams had shown interest in, I wouldn't be as skeptical about the hire.  

The fact that he wasn't on anyone else's radar along with the fact that the Hawks are amid a multi year strategic tank job let's me know all I need to know about this hire.  He was hired for the simple fact that he won't coach the players up enough to screw up the tank.

You still have not answered. Would it make a difference in what your popurted outcome 'not screw the tank' would be if he was on every teams radar and had a plethora of interviews but he was still hired?

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You still have not answered. Would it make a difference in what your popurted outcome 'not screw the tank' would be if he was on every teams radar and had a plethora of interviews but he was still hired?

I see another great poster being sucked into KB's black hole. Reverse thrusters. Shields at maximum.  Use the power from life support if you have to. You cannot allow yourself to be sucked into that alternative universe.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I see another great poster being sucked into KB's black hole. Reverse thrusters. Shields at maximum.  Use the power from life support if you have to. You cannot allow yourself to be sucked into that alternative universe.

:laugh1: :laugh1:.

Thanks for the reminder Peo. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Let's say it like this.

It comes from the New GM's handbook.

1.  Firesale.
  2. Draft high.
  3. Bring in an inexperienced, defensive coach to coach through the transition.
  4.  Draft High.
  5. Replace Coach with experienced Coach.

This is the GM's playbook.   See Billy Knight and Stan Kasten. 

The question is when it comes time to replace the coach, has the coach created enough belief that he's not firable.. See Billy Knight. 

However, if things go as to the Book, Pierce is a transitional guy.   However, he could develop the team in a way that he becomes a future guy. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think it's two different things.  I think Spoelstra was supposed to be transitional.   Remember Pat Riley had the team the year before they hired Spoelstra and he won 15 games.   Enter Spoelstra as coach and they won 43.  Spoelstra was the least experienced youngest guy on the coaching staff under Riley.  They wanted him to keep the continuity and lose... but this dude proved that he could coach. 

Jason Kidd being coach was a Billy King ism.   King has always done things to grab the media.  He did this to bring one of their sons home.  The PG who led them to the championship finals.  Until Kidd was hired, they were strongly considering Brian Shaw.   King needed a better splash.  King also wanted somebody with no experience who could lose.  That's why he never considered other stalworths who were available at the time.....  Lionel Hollins had a strong showing with the griz and was available.   George Karl was also available.   I bet neither was even called. 

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Let's say it like this.

It comes from the New GM's handbook.

1.  Firesale.
  2. Draft high.
  3. Bring in an inexperienced, defensive coach to coach through the transition.
  4.  Draft High.
  5. Replace Coach with experienced Coach.

This is the GM's playbook.   See Billy Knight and Stan Kasten. 

The question is when it comes time to replace the coach, has the coach created enough belief that he's not firable.. See Billy Knight. 

However, if things go as to the Book, Pierce is a transitional guy.   However, he could develop the team in a way that he becomes a future guy. 

And I raise you 1 Brett Brown. I never thought he'd last in Philly, just got a 3 year extension.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Diesel said:

but this dude proved that he could coach

Others may say "but this dude proved that he could say and do the right things to have LBJ on his side."

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 0:49 PM, KB21 said:

Even Orlando hired a better head coach than Atlanta.

Pfft!

Orlando, the absolute WORST job out there, with a bad team AND a bad cap situation, hired an absolute RE-TREAD, and you want to give them kudos.

Unbelievable!...yet believable.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, KB21 said:

So a guy who is universally touted as being a Developmental Coach is being counted on to not "coach the players up enough to screw up the tank"?!

Wouldn't they have been better off hiring a guy is NOT good at developing players, in order to not screw up the so-called tank?

Your words are turning upon themselves, like an auto-immune disorder of logic. 

14 minutes ago, parfait said:

So a guy who is universally touted as being a Developmental Coach is being counted on to not "coach the players up enough to screw up the tank"?!

Wouldn't they have been better off hiring a guy is NOT good at developing players, in order to not screw up the so-called tank?

Your words are turning upon themselves, like an auto-immune disorder of logic. 

Obviously, more credit is being given to his role as a "developmental coach" than is warranted.  If he's such a damn great developmental coach, then where is Ben Simmons's jump shot?  Where is Markelle Fultz's jump shot?  All you have to hang your hat on as far as his so called ability to develop players is Robert Covington.  

I should also add that the only people I see who are touting him as this great player development coach are fans of the 76ers and now fans of the Hawks.  

Obviously, more credit is being given to his role as a "developmental coach" than is warranted.  If he's such a damn great developmental coach, then where is Ben Simmons's jump shot?  Where is Markelle Fultz's jump shot?  All you have to hang your hat on as far as his so called ability to develop players is Robert Covington.  

I should also add that the only people I see who are touting him as this great player development coach are fans of the 76ers and now fans of the Hawks.  

What is he supposed to have done to prove his ability to you? Pierce isn't a shot doctor and I haven't heard anyone claim he is. Embiid has developed and so has Simmons. Covington improved leaps and bounds. McConnell even is evidence. If we're tho believe Colangelo's burner account, Fultz had a trainer in his own private life that ruined his shot, I don't think the Sixers had anything to do with Fultz messing up his mechanics.

I don't know what exact role Pierce has played in each players career but there's no evidence to say he isn't the right man for the job. You can hate this rebuild all you want, but it needed to happen. We weren't signing elite free agents and the team was constantly losing what small amount of talent we had to begin with. The show was over. Hopefully within the next two drafts we can find a talisman so I don't have to cuss out G-Leaguers while watching a Hawks game.

1 minute ago, nathan2331 said:

What is he supposed to have done to prove his ability to you? Pierce isn't a shot doctor and I haven't heard anyone claim he is. Embiid has developed and so has Simmons. Covington improved leaps and bounds. McConnell even is evidence. If we're tho believe Colangelo's burner account, Fultz had a trainer in his own private life that ruined his shot, I don't think the Sixers had anything to do with Fultz messing up his mechanics.

I don't know what exact role Pierce has played in each players career but there's no evidence to say he isn't the right man for the job. You can hate this rebuild all you want, but it needed to happen. We weren't signing elite free agents and the team was constantly losing what small amount of talent we had to begin with. The show was over. Hopefully within the next two drafts we can find a talisman so I don't have to cuss out G-Leaguers while watching a Hawks game.

It did not need to happen, and being as bad as the Hawks are and will be for the near future could have and should have been avoided.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, KB21 said:

It did not need to happen, and being as bad as the Hawks are and will be for the near future could have and should have been avoided.

The team could have re-tooled on the fly, but GM Bud mishandled that situation...

and now he's been relegated to Dahmer-Ville. :pick_nose_eat: