• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do You Hear What I Hear?

hazer

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

If there's any way Memphis deals that 4th pick, I'd be all over taking Parsons' ridiculous contract back in exchange.  Even if that meant we had to send #19 and #30 back to Memphis.  We could snag two potential cornerstone pieces and still make a solid pick at #34.  I think we'd still have some room financially to do another deal like Faried/#14 to get back into the late lottery mix and/or acquire future picks.  Parsons could provide some scoring punch for the second unit if/when he's able to play.  He's a shell of his former self, but can still shoot from deep. 

I think adding Dennis to the deal makes it less appealing since the whole purpose is to save $.  Memphis is going to want to re-sign Tyreke Evans and stay out of the luxury tax.  Depending on what Evans gets, they may have a little room to add another piece if they move Parsons without taking any significant $ back.  

I'd send them Bazemore and #19, they need wing help to replace Parsons non production. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'd send them Bazemore and #19, they need wing help to replace Parsons non production. 

I'd do that too, but would that value Baze that much?  

Conley
Bazemore
Evans
Green
Gasol

That's a decent starting 5 in the West.  Bazemore is a much better shooter/step down in defense from the old days when they had Tony Allen at SG for them.  

2 hours ago, Dragitoff said:

If there's any way Memphis deals that 4th pick, I'd be all over taking Parsons' ridiculous contract back in exchange.  Even if that meant we had to send #19 and #30 back to Memphis.  We could snag two potential cornerstone pieces and still make a solid pick at #34.  I think we'd still have some room financially to do another deal like Faried/#14 to get back into the late lottery mix and/or acquire future picks.  Parsons could provide some scoring punch for the second unit if/when he's able to play.  He's a shell of his former self, but can still shoot from deep. 

I think adding Dennis to the deal makes it less appealing since the whole purpose is to save $.  Memphis is going to want to re-sign Tyreke Evans and stay out of the luxury tax.  Depending on what Evans gets, they may have a little room to add another piece if they move Parsons without taking any significant $ back.  

Yeah when you put it that way. I figured they want a player since they are moving the 4 pick. Plus Schröder could be insurance if Conley can’t go for what ever reason.

• Admin
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The goal is for Memphis to save money ... that doesn't give them back much money.  Taking back a negative asset and only saving 7 million dollars to drop back 15 spots.  Memphis is not even going to answer the phone

To even get them willing to part with 4 we would be taking on Parson's 25 million contract and giving back something of value that has a very low salary (Collins/19 plus prob more).  4 does have a lot value.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, h4wkfan said:

We would have to include more than just 19 and baze I'd think. Throw in 30 and probably future picks as well. 

I redid in another thread just now..#19, #30, Bazemore and Cavs 2019 (it's top 10 protected - i think we can add add'tl protection to it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

The goal is for Memphis to save money ... that doesn't give them back much money.  Taking back a negative asset and only saving 7 million dollars to drop back 15 spots.  Memphis is not even going to answer the phone

To even get them willing to part with 4 we would be taking on Parson's 25 million contract and giving back something of value that has a very low salary (Collins/19 plus prob more).  4 does have a lot value.

I added us taking back McClemore in the other thread that saves them $12 mil.

• Premium Member

I repeat my prediction...Only salary dump trades made will be teams trying to make room for players like Lebron and Leonard.  All other trades are Hawk fan pipe dreams.  And definitely no one is giving up a top 8 pick for a non all star.  Again Hawk fan pipe dream trade

4 hours ago, capstone21 said:

It's complicated because taking back Parson's puts us over the cap. The only way that trade can be completed is to trade it to be completed in the new calendar year (IE July 1st). In that case, the 4th pick + parsons = about $30 million in salary, which means we'd need to send back $11 million in pick holds (19 + 30 only = $3 million +).  Because of our cap situation this year, it couldn't be completed until after the draft...it would be a trade in principle and would go on next year's salary where we are currently $19 million under with holds.

Sorry salary + pick holds *

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, capstone21 said:

By itself #4 has a ton of value.

Memphis is devaluing #4 by attaching Parsons. That comes at a price. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If we can get it for something like Baze or Dennis and a pick that would be great.  I don't believe it will happen but I'd do that without hesitating.

I just don't see what Memphis is going to use that space for that would be comparable to the value they could get from the pick.

• Admin
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Absolutely but my point is they are not taking back bad contracts to make this trade ... to get 4 you have to take Parsons ... it might also mean giving up something of value to get 4 (19 + something else).  Maybe not but they won't be taking on Dennis / Baz.  

11 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Absolutely but my point is they are not taking back bad contracts to make this trade ... to get 4 you have to take Parsons ... it might also mean giving up something of value to get 4 (19 + something else).  Maybe not but they won't be taking on Dennis / Baz.  

Hey Cap, some scouts have stated they felt all non-lottery 1st rounders were essentially the same quality players.  With that said, I'd be hopeful we could get away with it only offering the #19 or (hopefully) soon to be acquired #14, but if it came down to it, seems like maybe that #30 would have some value too.  I think I'd also be down to include both #14/#19 for the #4/Parsons.  That would still give us 4 picks and 2 in the top 4.  

• Admin
Just now, Dragitoff said:

Hey Cap, some scouts have stated they felt all non-lottery 1st rounders were essentially the same quality players.  With that said, I'd be hopeful we could get away with it only offering the #19 or (hopefully) soon to be acquired #14, but if it came down to it, seems like maybe that #30 would have some value too.  I think I'd also be down to include both #14/#19 for the #4/Parsons.  That would still give us 4 picks and 2 in the top 4.  

That would absolutely work for me ... can we actually absorb both Faried AND Parson's contracts?  Wouldn't it be one or the other?

2 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

That would absolutely work for me ... can we actually absorb both Faried AND Parson's contracts?  Wouldn't it be one or the other?

Using the handy-dandy capulator, it would take some serious gymnastics and almost certainly dealing Schröder for a pick or a player making less than him.  That's renouncing Dedmon and all other FA's and Muscala not picking up his option (we could sign later for part of MLE if we wanted him back).  Another alternative would be waiving and stretching Plumlee or Parsons.  

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Using the handy-dandy capulator, it would take some serious gymnastics and almost certainly dealing Schröder for a pick or a player making less than him.  That's renouncing Dedmon and all other FA's and Muscala not picking up his option (we could sign later for part of MLE if we wanted him back).  Another alternative would be waiving and stretching Plumlee or Parsons.  

There is no option to renounce Dedmon.  Dedmon and Moose are both under contract with the team (not FAs today) and we are obligated to pay them unless they choose to opt out.   I think it is a toss up whether either will do so.  With out luck, I'd guess Dedmon opts out and Moose stays.

Just now, AHF said:

There is no option to renounce Dedmon.  Dedmon and Moose are both under contract with the team (not FAs today) and we are obligated to pay them unless they choose to opt out.   I think it is a toss up whether either will do so.  With out luck, I'd guess Dedmon opts out and Moose stays.

Understood that.  Maybe I should've phrased it they'd have to opt out and us renounce their cap holds.  

The best deal for Memphis will be the one they do or they keep #4 pick. 

If they get really competitive offers, best believe we gonna get rid of one of Prince or Collins, trade our other picks in this class and eat ALL of Parsons abomination of a contract. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

The best deal for Memphis will be the one they do or they keep #4 pick. 

If they get really competitive offers, best believe we gonna get rid of one of Prince or Collins, trade our other picks in this class and eat ALL of Parsons abomination of a contract. 

I would expect nothing less from Travis Schlenk.