If Porter's injury causes him to freefall through the draft . . .

TheNorthCydeRises

I'm not that interested in him period.  His game is all hype, no substance.  

That may be true, I don't like him either. But you can't dispute the potential upside that pick might have if we can rehabilitate him. I don't like his game, but even as a gunner of the bench he would be useful. If he really panned out, you have a perimeter superstar.
  • Like 1

I don't think there is a snowballs chance in Hades that Porter will be available anywhere near the 19th pick.  While between is back injury and very limited availability is doing him no favors, the few teams that have worked him out have been raving about him with some media outlets even reporting that Porter is in play for Memphis's pick at 2.

Should that happen, now that Doncic has announced that he is staying in the draft irrespective of team and draft position, my goodness would we both have some unbelievable options.  Heck, the Kings might give us Fox and multiple firsts to get a crack at him.  Saying nothing of many teams and media folks really banging the Bagley drum ever louder.

That would be one heck of a quandary choosing between Luka and Bagley.  On the Doncic front, I have no doubt the marketing department are salivating at the opportunity of having who is called "the most accomplished 19 year old ever".  In addition, by playing in the the Eastern time zone would help to maximize the international audience.  Granted, the home and much of the Eastern Conference  games would be late at night, but at least it would not be a further 3 hours earlier should he end up in Sacramento.

All that said, I would most likely choose Bagley.  While his defense get knocked, he is so young even by one and done standards and with his height and motor, he really could be special.  Averaging that many points on a Duke team lousy with NBA talent is impossible for me to dismiss.

Still want Anton though.  I will grant you this is not a uncommon refrain.

1 hour ago, Jungle Jack said:

I don't think there is a snowballs chance in Hades that Porter will be available anywhere near the 19th pick.  While between is back injury and very limited availability is doing him no favors, the few teams that have worked him out have been raving about him with some media outlets even reporting that Porter is in play for Memphis's pick at 2.

Should that happen, now that Doncic has announced that he is staying in the draft irrespective of team and draft position, my goodness would we both have some unbelievable options.  Heck, the Kings might give us Fox and multiple firsts to get a crack at him.  Saying nothing of many teams and media folks really banging the Bagley drum ever louder.

That would be one heck of a quandary choosing between Luka and Bagley.  On the Doncic front, I have no doubt the marketing department are salivating at the opportunity of having who is called "the most accomplished 19 year old ever".  In addition, by playing in the the Eastern time zone would help to maximize the international audience.  Granted, the home and much of the Eastern Conference  games would be late at night, but at least it would not be a further 3 hours earlier should he end up in Sacramento.

All that said, I would most likely choose Bagley.  While his defense get knocked, he is so young even by one and done standards and with his height and motor, he really could be special.  Averaging that many points on a Duke team lousy with NBA talent is impossible for me to dismiss.

Still want Anton though.  I will grant you this is not a uncommon refrain.

There is talk that we could trade for the 14th pick :cool:

I read the ESPN article. I saw where the Kings have been talking about picking him 2nd. NBA teams were feeling very good after seeing his medical records from Chicago. I can't see this guy's talent being over hyped. He has too many basketball people in his life. There is also talk that he is trying to get to a better NBA market. (i.e. Chicago). I also, saw ESPN mention every team in the top 7 but the Hawks are interested in him. :huh:

6 minutes ago, Brotha2ThaNite said:

There is talk that we could trade for the 14th pick :cool:

I read the ESPN article. I saw where the Kings have been talking about picking him 2nd. NBA teams were feeling very good after seeing his medical records from Chicago. I can't see this guy's talent being over hyped. He has too many basketball people in his life. There is also talk that he is trying to get to a better NBA market. (i.e. Chicago). I also, saw ESPN mention every team in the top 7 but the Hawks are interested in him. :huh:

Bingo this smells like a guy that is scared the Kings will take him and has a promise from someone in the top 10 he wants to fall to. My guess is Chicago, New York or Cleveland to play with LBJ.  

Oh my hip I can't move, but he was just killing it a few days later. We aren't going to be relevant this year,  and I'm fine to waiting a year for Porter to fully recover. He isn't even a year removed from his surgery. This article talks about year one people who opt for the surgery can play,  but the numbers will suffer. Year two they recover fully and usually aren't impacted the rest of their career. 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/5/17/17337374/michael-porter-jr-injury-history-nba-draft-2018-missouri

I also listen to NBA radio and one of the NYU docs came in from the doctors radio show. He said about 80% of the people recover and don't have on going issues. He referenced the same study in the above article. The only commonality they found with continuing issues is height. The taller the more likely to have on going issues. He didn't talk about how the percentages change as height goes up. It could be material could be nominal. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, ATLien_ said:

Bingo this smells like a guy that is scared the Kings will take him and has a promise from someone in the top 10 he wants to fall to. My guess is Chicago, New York or Cleveland to play with LBJ.  

Oh my hip I can't move, but he was just killing it a few days later. We aren't going to be relevant this year,  and I'm fine to waiting a year for Porter to fully recover. He isn't even a year removed from his surgery. This article talks about year one people who opt for the surgery can play,  but the numbers will suffer. Year two they recover fully and usually aren't impacted the rest of their career. 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/5/17/17337374/michael-porter-jr-injury-history-nba-draft-2018-missouri

I also listen to NBA radio and one of the NYU docs came in from the doctors radio show. He said about 80% of the people recover and don't have on going issues. He referenced the same study in the above article. The only commonality they found with continuing issues is height. The taller the more likely to have on going issues. He didn't talk about how the percentages change as height goes up. It could be material could be nominal. 

Was the Doc talking about the generous population or athletes in that 80%? He's gonna be taking hits, bumps, falls.

I can't lie, this whole business sours me on this kid.  I really think he's trying to depress his value in order to land in CLE.  I don't buy the hip stuff.  Why would his 'camp' leak that?  Sorry, that doesn't come out unless his camp leaks it.

This is gamesmanship to make sure certain teams pass on him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Was the Doc talking about the generous population or athletes in that 80%? He's gonna be taking hits, bumps, falls.

Yes the study mentioned in the above article studied athletes. 

A study done by two orthopedic surgeons from NYU’s Hospital for Joint Diseases, and one from Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Northwestern, compared those who had surgery after disc herniation (like Porter did) and those who chose rehab.

Using PER as a baseline, the study found that in a small, 61-person sample size, those who had surgery had a decline in games played and in PER in the year after their surgery, but showed no difference in the years following. Those who did not choose surgery saw no change in PER or games played, but had shorter careers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I can't lie, this whole business sours me on this kid.  I really think he's trying to depress his value in order to land in CLE.  I don't buy the hip stuff.  Why would his 'camp' leak that?  Sorry, that doesn't come out unless his camp leaks it.

This is gamesmanship to make sure certain teams pass on him.

I agree! That's why I would still draft him. I'm having flashback to when I was a Hornets fan and we traded Kobe because he wanted to go to LA. Then Baron Davis tried to play that same sh*t and Paul Silas was like, NOPE! The Hornets are keeping you. 

I know this case is a little different but I have seen too many cases like this happen in the NBA.

• Moderators

If we could get him at #19 it is an absolute no brainer.  It won't come close to happening but if the question somehow legitimately arose the answer is a clear "yes please, may I have another?"

• Like 1

Just now, nathan2331 said:
2 hours ago, Flight said:
There's no way he falls to 19. Even at that, I'm pretty sure we're the only team not giving him a serious look smh.

We shouldn't. He's not that good and he has serious injury concerns.

Yeah man, maybe this year we're the smart ones when it comes to the elite draft prospects for once....

• Moderators
Just now, nathan2331 said:
There's no way he falls to 19. Even at that, I'm pretty sure we're the only team not giving him a serious look smh.

Agreed.  This is a price point issue.  At #3, we will have comparable healthy prospects to pick from.  I had performance concerns about him before he got hurt.  Really wished he would have played healthy so we could have seen how his skills have developed and would translate against better competition than the rabble of HS/AAU ball.

7 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

If you read the articular, you will see that the injury isn't as bad as most would think.

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agreed.  This is a price point issue.  At #3, we will have comparable healthy prospects to pick from.  I had performance concerns about him before he got hurt.  Really wished he would have played healthy so we could have seen how his skills have developed and would translate against better competition than the rabble of HS/AAU ball.

I hope you all are right about him not being good but I seriously think you all are wrong. There is a reason why so many are trying to see him. Could be the same reason why the Hawks are known as one of the teams that aren't.... They could be holding their cards close, hoping no one tries to trade up for him.

and it looks like we will know a little more after today. 

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/06/15/michael-porters-pro-day-medical-evaluations-back-on-for-friday/

• Michael Porter’s pro day/medical evaluations back on for Friday

Teams want more info on Michael Porter‘s back and health. The Bulls got to examine him at a workout, and Porter’s agent sent the medical reports to other teams, which one front office person who saw them told Rob Dauster of NBC Sports they came back “fine.” But teams want their own doctors to have a look — especially after a Friday workout and medical evaluation day for teams was almost cancelled due to hip spasms.

That is back on for Friday, according to Shams Charania of The Vertical at Yahoo Sports.

Michael Porter Jr. has been cleared for second pro day evaluation Friday in Chicago for NBA draft lottery teams, his agency informed teams.

— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) June 15, 2018

Teams traveling to Chicago have understood Friday's workout purpose: medical/physical evaluation. Porter is a go for key day ahead of next Thursday. https://t.co/H0JqZDet8j

— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) June 15, 2018

What teams see Friday in Chicago will go a long way to determining where Porter gets drafted. Before the workout most projections have him in the 6-8 range of the draft, but climbing. If the doctors give a thumbs up, he could climb.

As pointed out in our breakdown of Porter’s game, if healthy he might be as talented as anyone in this draft. There’s a reason the Kings are interested in him at No. 2. He’s 6’11” but plays like a wing, making him a great modern NBA four who can hit from the outside and has the athleticism to get up and down the floor then finish with authority. Two years ago, in the summer of 2016, he was owning the summer circuit and projected as the No. 1 pick.

Then came 2017 — a back injury forced a microdiscectomy surgery on his back. He never looked right.

That makes Porter the biggest mystery in the draft — healthy and playing at his peak he’s with the elite of this class, but backs are tricky things and can linger. Were the hip spasms tied to the back issue?  There were questions about his handle and first step before this, will his athleticism be limited in any way by this.

The teams will get some answers on Friday. We all will see the results next Thursday at the draft.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Brotha2ThaNite said:

I hope you all are right about him not being good but I seriously think you all are wrong. There is a reason why so many are trying to see him. Could be the same reason why the Hawks are known as one of the teams that aren't.... They could be holding their cards close, hoping no one tries to trade up for him.

It isn't that I think he is no good.  It is that I have a similar level of questions that need to be answered about him as I do with healthy people.  I can see a path to him becoming a star but I can also see a path for Doncic, Bagley, Bamba, JJJ, Young, etc.  All of them have varying levels of questions.  Porter is the only one with medical issues so unless I think he is that much better a prospect than the others then I have a hard time leaning towards  him.  One of the reasons I can't say he looks that much better as a prospect is because we didn't get to see him play against quality opposition.  (I don't hold his college games against him at all - he was rusty and recovering.)

• Like 1