• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

WELCOME HOME TRAE!!!

JTB

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Cwell said:

how. Luka would never in a million years be an NBA Superstar. He probably won't even be a legit starter down the line.  Trae can be really good or really bad. I'd take that chance over wasting a top 5 pick on solid at best

Well, according to you. According to everyone else Dallas fleeced us and won the draft. Hopefully you are right, and everyone else is wrong. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Travis took Trae and passed on Luka for one reason and one reason only...shooting. Not that Doncic cant shoot, but he got in a shooting slump and ended up shooting in the low 30's from three.

Not accurate in my opinion. Connecting the dots it is obvious tp me that the sole reason of Trae being here is the perceived edge in marketability in ATL over Doncic.  An exciting, black(ish?), hoister of shots, with highlight reel passes over the unathletic white guy who comes from a team first background, will sell more tickets in ATL. That's what ownership is thinking, and that's why ownership strongarmed our front-office into picking him. 

18 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Not accurate in my opinion. Connecting the dots it is obvious tp me that the sole reason of Trae being here is the perceived edge in marketability in ATL over Doncic.  An exciting, black(ish?), hoister of shots, with highlight reel passes over the unathletic white guy who comes from a team first background, will sell more tickets in ATL. That's what ownership is thinking, and that's why ownership strongarmed our front-office into picking him. 

Or it’s because Trae is the better shooter, better scorer, and better passer ?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Or it’s because Trae is the better shooter, better scorer, and better passer ?

Trae is a better 3pt shooter and passer, but hard to argue he is a better shooter and scorer than Doncic. Doncic scored 21 pp36m on 46% shooting (on 14 shots) in euroleague. Trae scored  27.9pp36m on 42% shooting (20 shots). So Trae scores more but is also more inefficient. Doncic also played in much tougher league than college level. 

Just now, Atlantaholic said:

Trae is a better 3pt shooter and passer, but hard to argue he is a better shooter and scorer than Doncic. Doncic scored 21 pp36m on 46% shooting (on 14 shots) in euroleague. Trae scored  27.9pp36m on 42% shooting (20 shots). So Trae scores more but is also more inefficient. Doncic also played in much tougher league than college level. 

Good point. I think Trae skill set will make him a better scorer in the NBA. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, EazyRoc said:

Good point. I think Trae skill set will make him a better scorer in the NBA. 

I think we went with the more exciting player in Trae. He will easily have the better highlights but will he have the better overall impact on Ws and Ls?? Obviously time will tell, but the indicators (higher efficiency, more proven) favor Doncic heavily in that aspect IMO. It was a move of style over substance at this stage. The leak coming from the media that it was our ownership who needed to convince our front office to take Trae over Doncic just solidifies that perspective in my eyes.

35 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

If the Hawks took Trae because everything was equal except blackness, they are idiots.  I simply don't believe the Migos couldn't incorporate Doncic in a rap song.  Maybe they simple liked Young better.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, deester11 said:

If the Hawks took Trae because everything was equal except blackness, they are idiots.  I simply don't believe the Migos couldn't incorporate Doncic in a rap song.  Maybe they simple liked Young better.  

Don’t believe for a second this was a race issue.  Too many posts with that crap on the board this morning.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I hope that's not the case. If so, Schlenk should leak that to the media, to let it be known this wasn't his pick.

So does that make our 19th pick a "token" white guy?  I cannot honestly believe so many think race was the issue.  I also am not entirely sure how much marketing drove the decision at 5 as had we stayed at 3 we would have had a huge number of Europeans that would be following us.  In addition, every day after grade would have been through the roof.

Ultimately, I reckon Schlenk/Ressler were sold on Trae.  While many of us are not too excited this morning, I damn sure am not looking at bloody letter grades about players that even at 1 have roughly under a 20% shot of even being an All Star.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I think we went with the more exciting player in Trae. He will easily have the better highlights but will he have the better overall impact on Ws and Ls?? Obviously time will tell, but the indicators (higher efficiency, more proven) favor Doncic heavily in that aspect IMO. It was a move of style over substance at this stage. The leak coming from the media that it was our ownership who needed to convince our front office to take Trae over Doncic just solidifies that perspective in my eyes.

Well accomplishments at either level have no real bearing on prospects projections into the NBA. Young at Day 1 has the better NBA skill set. Doncic was propped up by his accomplishments in the Spanish league. His highlight reels are incredible. He’s not an NBA athlete and that’s the difference between him being a very good player and a star in this league. I’m not buying that leak and sources. This draft screams Travis Schlenk. 

• Like 1

I think people undervalue Trae Young's ability to get to the FT line. He got to the line almost 9 times a game last year. In order to be elite offensively you have to get to the line at an above average clip. He does that with his craftiness.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think I've finally recovered after my initial dissapointment last night. In the light of a new day I guess it's not all a dumpster fire. Travis better be right. (I still question his negotiation skills).

When reports surfaced that the initial trade might be #3 and Bazemore for #5 and Wes Matthews to get out of Baze's contract next year (Dallas backed out from that one thank God), I was livid, I couldn't see straight......I just couldn't see beyond that, then I heard it was a 1st instead but top 5 protected, still disappointment there, the protection should have been top 2. 

Compounded by the reported #19 and Baze  for #23 rumor - I did not enjoy the draft.

These were also my issue: 

-  The guy touted as 'the next so and so' never turns out to be that guy. 
It's always some other random guy setting a standard to have everybody saying 'who's the next'.
- it just seems like Schlenk had tunnel vision in trying to recreate the Warriors that has me concerned. 

Anyway...Welcome to Atlanta Trae.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Flight said:

I wonder if Huerter is gonna be healthy in time to play any during summer league?

He won’t be back until mid August. It also makes you wonder how much higher he could’ve went if he was healthy and able to do workouts. He may just be a steal at 19.

• Like 4

It's probably being a homer, and watching the highlights of Trae's 48 point game versus OSU, but I'm warming up to the pick.  

Also, I've not heard a compelling reason why Doncic can carry a franchise.  He is slow and can't shoot ...but he has all the intangibles.  Ben Simmons type with average athleticism.  Doesn't make sense.  

• Like 1