• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rate the Hawks Draft

TheNorthCydeRises

Grade the Hawks Draft  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, High5 said:

If the reports are true that ownership wanted Doncic and Schlenk wanted JJJ so as a compromise they went with Young then that makes the draft a fail for me. I'm already uneasy about Young (and would have been much happier with Doncic or JJJ), but this makes it so much worse. We should not be "compromising" on our most important draft pick in forever. I thought Ressler owned up to his mistakes with Dwight and promised to let Schlenk do his job, but apparently not. 

This isn’t true.  

Trae Young has been Schlenk’s guy for quite a while.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

We are going to be a completely different team next year when Trae is on the floor. They will respect his shot; so no more daring our point guard to shoot the three while packing the D in towards Prince, Collins, and Dedmon.  I think Trae has as good a chance as any to be this years Donovan Mitchell. The rookie three point record may fall for the 2nd year in a row; and watch out for the rookie assist record. I know, rookie turn over record as well.

All I can say on your last point is I guess Schlenk thought there was no 1st round talent that he liked. Robinson, Trent Jr., and Thomas dropping was interesting; otherwise I don't think Travis likes Juniors and Seniors.

I guess the only other player i would have strongly considered was Bamba but everyone had soured on him so I can get use to the pick.  I do like the idea that we can have up to 3 lottery picks next year. to build our front court.

Just now, Peoriabird said:

I guess the only other player i would have strongly considered was Bamba but everyone had soured on him so I can get use to the pick.  I do like the idea that we can have up to 3 lottery picks next year. to build our front court.

I still can't give out likes but I agree. Bamba to me is the other high upside prospect next to Trae. I do not like JJJ. Next years draft is not as deep as this one by all reports; so higher picks in the 1 - 15 range will have even more of a premium next season.

Some people keep comparing our strategy to GSW. IMO with the way we are hoarding future picks, it reminds me more of Bostons strategy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plainview1981 said:

I'm surprised people want JJJ... He is going to end up being a spot up 3 point shooter for the most part.

He scares the hell out of me as a lottery pick. Boom or bust and mostly bust for me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

I'm surprised people want JJJ... He is going to end up being a spot up 3 point shooter for the most part.

A spot up three point shooter who is a DPOY candidate on a year to year basis.  

I love how people love to overlook the high impact and high value his defense brings to the table.  

There are some on here that wanted Mo Bamba, who is nowhere near the defender or shooter that JJJ is.  

Just now, KB21 said:

A spot up three point shooter who is a DPOY candidate on a year to year basis.  

I love how people love to overlook the high impact and high value his defense brings to the table.  

There are some on here that wanted Mo Bamba, who is nowhere near the defender or shooter that JJJ is.  

The Hawks are very low on talent. They need a player to build around and a defensive player/3pt shooter Robert Horry like player  will not be that player. 

2 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

The Hawks are very low on talent. They need a player to build around and a defensive player/3pt shooter Robert Horry like player  will not be that player. 

Perhaps a Serge Ibaka like career is possible for him, but he is going to be the 3rd best player on a great team at best.

4 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Rober shorty is another terrible comp for JJJ, but I shouldn’t be surprised at this point.  Apparently, if you can play defense at an elite level, you aren’t that talented.  

You don’t build around guys who put up empty PPG numbers.  

This damn phone!   Robert Horry

9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Rober shorty is another terrible comp for JJJ, but I shouldn’t be surprised at this point.  Apparently, if you can play defense at an elite level, you aren’t that talented.  

You don’t build around guys who put up empty PPG numbers.  

Ibaka is another name. Surely not a bad player, but players with these skill sets are complimentary players.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Hawks have signe Jaylen Adams from St Bonaventure to a two way deal.  Another strong shooter.  87% free throw shooter and 43% three point shooter.  

I thought we had 2 two way players already.

Bud's son and the Cleveland kid??

• Premium Member

This tidbit is interesting...Thanks Woj for tipping the picks or Travis would have traded up to #17.

Schlenk told 95.7 The Game in San Francisco on Friday that he had a deal in place to acquire the No. 17 pick from the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for a draft pick, but he never had to make that deal because the media were projecting picks prior to them being announced.

"Last night, for instance, we had the 19th pick and we're coming down and we're actually talking to Milwaukee on the 17th pick, talking about trading up to get a guy we like," Schlenk said. "There's were a couple of guys we felt really good about on the 19th pick, obviously Kevin [Huerter] was one of them, and it leaked who Milwaukee was going to take.

"So, all of a sudden, we were able to pull back out of that deal and keep the draft pick instead of packaging picks to move up because we knew that two guys on the board we felt really good about and only one team in between us so that was beneficial to us last night."

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I gave it a B going with my assumption that Dallas will pick around 7-12 next year. If we have to wait a couple years to actually get that Dallas pick then I'd drop it down to a C. I also wish we kept our second round pick.