• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rate the Hawks Draft

TheNorthCydeRises

Grade the Hawks Draft  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

So we can't judge players based on what they did and didn't do? He was a trash defender and he wasn't even trying at times. He also doesn't have the tools to be a good defender so I don't expect things to change in the future. Maybe I'm wrong and his offense will justify the pick, but I'm not holding my breath. Just my two cents.There's a difference. Trae wanted to be drafted. I really believe Bamba wanted to go to Atlanta. Obviously he's better in interviews than most other prospects, but I felt like he genuinely wanted to be a Hawk over other teams. That alone shouldn't get him drafted, but to me it counts for something.

What I'm saying is that there is a finality to the way people are talking about his defense. As if he couldn't possibly get better.

What I'm saying is that there is a finality to the way people are talking about his defense. As if he couldn't possibly get better.

I don't think he will. I don't see how he is ever not a liability on defense. He has limitations physically, and I don't think he'll play hard enough on defense to even try to offset them. Hopefully he proves me wrong on the court.

I gave this an A. We got the player our team coveted and garnered another 1st next season. Barring a traumatic injury to one of the Mavs best players they will not have a top five pick next year. I did not like the first rumor in which we were sending Baze in this deal. I think Baze has value with our team and as a potential trade chip.

I said in one of my last post in the have you changed your mind thread that taking Trae at 3 would not shock me. But preferred trading down if we did. I am glad we added another first instead of taking him at 3. Trae was one of the most prolific offensive machines in one of the best conferences in the country. I cannot envision Trae as a bust. Passing and scoring is how he will make a living.

I like Huerter and Spellman. They could both become starters one day. Huerter to me is at least a perfect sixth man with a great shot and underrated handles. I think Spellman with his defense and ability to stretch the floor could be a starter by next season.

Three rookies; we are obviously not competing with the Celtics or Warriors after one draft. But this is a step in the right direction.

• Like 3

For all of those hating this trade. I've been on the Trae Young bandwagon for some time. I'm on this board as saying he is who I wanted all along. The hype with Doncic is all that right now...it is hype.  Here, take a look at his weaknesses as listed by nbadraft.net  http://www.nbadraft.net/players/luka-doncic

Weaknesses: He can be considered marginally average athlete by NBA standards ... Not overly long, more of an average actually... His first step is slow even for European standards ... Not a very good leaper of one foot, his good jumps come of two feet ... Must continue working on his body ... He lost some flexibility while he was bulking up ... Can be really emotional at times and lose concentration for a few plays... He can depend too much to his instinct at times ... If he doesn't have momentum it's difficult for him to finish plays at the rim... He must improve in changing speeds and pace ... His ball handling still needs some polishing, especially with his left hand ... Has problems against aggressive ball pressure from smaller, faster opponents ... The lack of explosiveness makes it really difficult for him to create his own shoot against great athletes with good wingspan ... Isn't always able to punish switches when he has a versatile Big against him, especially if there are no shooters around him ... He has the tendency to over-dribble, trying to find his way around his defender, icing-out teammates momentarily ... It's a question mark whether he will be able to create consistently at the next level on ISO situations ... Finds it difficult to finish in traffic and against elite length ... Finishing against contact might be an issue at the next level ... Shooting selection can become a little iffy occasionally with some off balance shoots and long floaters ... Can fall in love with his pull-up game and settle too much against switches ... Kind of streaky shooter for now ... Inconsistent 3-point shooter ... Must have feet set to shoot well in Catch and Shoot situations ... His off the ball game should still improve a little bit more ... The fact that he can see angles that no one else can see leads to some extreme passes and, as a consequence, some turnovers... His assist/turnover ratio could be better ... He could be more involved on the offensive boards ... Doesn't always box out and depends on instinct and position to grab defensive rebounds ... He is not always engaged on defense ... He should raise his intensity on the defensive end ... Doesn't keep a low stance all the time when he is guarding a ball handler , which makes it easier for his opponent to blow by him ... It's a question mark who he could guard at the next level, since he has problems against smaller, quicker opponents, but also against athletic wings ... Not always physical enough when he is defending in the post ... Has problems reading screens on the defensive end ... Has been targeted on defense on Pick and Roll situations that force switches to exploit his defensive limitations ... Must be more aggressive on defensive close outs ...

Weaknesses: His biggest flaw is his lack of quickness and lateral speed, which affects his effectiveness in 1 on 1 defense against more explosive opponents ... Furthermore this also limits his offensive effectiveness in ISO situations when he has to rely on his body control and fakes to create the space for the shot or to draw contact ... He also needs to work on shot consistency, especially his mechanics and foot positioning ... Sometimes he lacks the killer instinct when facing weaker opponents ... 

In short...we made the right deal.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, thecampster said:

For all of those hating this trade. I've been on the Trae Young bandwagon for some time. I'm on this board as saying he is who I wanted all along. The hype with Doncic is all that right now...it is hype.  Here, take a look at his weaknesses as listed by nbadraft.net  http://www.nbadraft.net/players/luka-doncic

Luka is a shorter and less athletic Toni Kukoc.

Do not fall in love with highlights and draft hype. Doncic averaged 14.5 ppg last season while shooting 30.9% from 3. Yes...30.9%. He only played 25 mpg.

He is athletically limited, a defensive liability, won't be able to consistently get his own shot in the NBA and is a below average 3 point shooter.

• Like 3

B. None of the guys look bad on cut clips. Trae more talented than anyone else that they ever drafted. Ain't bad. Only time will tell. Omari is the only one who can truly help right now. I hope they play Trae at SG some to built up his off the ball skills.

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

B. None of the guys look bad on cut clips. Trae more talented than anyone else that they ever drafted. Ain't bad. Only time will tell. Omari is the only one who can truly help right now. I hope they play Trae at SG some to built up his off the ball skills.

The Hawks haven't had anyone with this scoring potential in 25-30 years. That should be something to be excited about.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I thought he was being cute with that him an denis playing together crap.

3 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

The Hawks haven't had anyone with this scoring potential in 25-30 years. That should be something to be excited about.

ISO joe, terry surely I’m missing someone else but point remains that’s not true.

4 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

You would think but some people do not see it that way. Trae will change their mind. I am not saying Doncic is a bust; but I am saying Trae is not one either.

Highlighting Dennis for a trade will be the only thing that will keep him down the 1st half of the season. Maybe we get Dennis moved before then.

6 minutes ago, Royjr9 said:

ISO joe, terry surely I’m missing someone else but point remains that’s not true.

It appears that Trae has the ability to put up 25-27 PPG. Terry never did that... JJ did average 25 PPG once, but as good scorer as he was... He wasn't the type of scorer to make other people shit in their pants. Trae also appears to be a better pass than JJ.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, falconfan13 said:

C is the best i can do it needless to say im not very happy with it at all and im actually more pissed right now than i imagine most people still might be.   I just got home from work and the last thing i seen was the Hawks take Doncic at 3 on my phone so this whole time until i just now got home i thought we had drafted Doncic and finally once in our sorry ass existence made the correct move but why would i expect that we are the damn Hawks and we just did what we always do. 

I agree, except I would give it a D.  The Hawks did not maximize their situation;  they did not even come close.  They had the #3 pick and enough cap space to purchase the #4 pick.  

They came away with a short stack gamble at PG, a back court "companion" that has yet to show any defensive talent, and a 6-9 Center that has had chronic weight issues.  

By simply keeping Doncic and purchasing the #4, they could have the distributor of the future and an excellent front court player.  

This was really a failure to maximize.  I did not grade an F, because in today's cream puff society, everyone gets a trophy.  

Is a C

We could get Doncic and traded for a worst player, we could have even get Bamba, a game changer and drafted Young, that was projected 10-12.... I am really disapointed

At 19 we drafted Huerter and we had Robert Williams available, even Okogie or Jacob Evans, hate the pick

30, I like the pick

34, Khyri Thomas, Diop and Robinson available and we trade the pick for nothing? I knew some good prospects would slide, this draft was full of good players, even Frazier was a good bet

Really, really disapointed

3 minutes ago, ggp said:

I agree, except I would give it a D.  The Hawks did not maximize their situation;  they did not even come close.  They had the #3 pick and enough cap space to purchase the #4 pick.  

They came away with a short stack gamble at PG, a back court "companion" that has yet to show any defensive talent, and a 6-9 Center that has had chronic weight issues.  

By simply keeping Doncic and purchasing the #4, they could have the distributor of the future and an excellent front court player.  

This was really a failure to maximize.  I did not grade an F, because in today's cream puff society, everyone gets a trophy.  

The hype for this Doncic seems really unjustified. 

57 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Do not fall in love with highlights and draft hype. Doncic averaged 14.5 ppg last season while shooting 30.9% from 3. Yes...30.9%. He only played 25 mpg.

He is athletically limited, a defensive liability, won't be able to consistently get his own shot in the NBA and is a below average 3 point shooter.

Trae is a short stack that does not have the athletic ability to over come that SHORT coming.  No amount of weight training will change his defensive deficiencies.  In college, against kids, his turnovers were high.  

Right now, Young is a poor back court companion with Schröder.  Neither will defend much.  

Regardless of which player was taken, the Hawks will lose a lot for the next two seasons.  Which prospect is more likely the tougher minded?  The young kid that performed against men and put the his team on his back to win a championship, or the kid that shot a lot of jumpers but was stymied once he faced serious amateur competition?  

Would it surprise anyone to see Young turn into a pouting brat in three seasons?   

3 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

The hype for this Doncic seems really unjustified. 

Why?  The kid put his team on his back and won the games he had to win.  He has faced grown men for two seasons and managed to look good doing it.  He is better than Young and will likely develop a better body in the next two years.  He has proven his maturity and ability to handle adversity more so than Young.

He is a better player than Young and would have been a better ambassador of the team internationally.  

The Hawks failed to maximize their position in this draft.  Their GM failed from a talent perspective and their owner failed because he did not spend the money he needed to spend to advance the team. 

And so, another mediocre decade begins.  Young will "dazzle" some fans with long distance shooting, but not provide much more than that.