• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rate the Hawks Draft

TheNorthCydeRises

Grade the Hawks Draft  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't create a poll, so I'll just give my grade.

B

While this squad probably couldn't even stop the Atlanta Dream, they did add 3 shooters who could be rotation players right away.  Young, of course, has to be the HOME RUN pick.  His talent needs to translate right away, even if he is the backup PG in his rookie year.  I think the other two can give us solid minutes in these next 3 years.

Current Roster

PG - Dennis / Young / Taylor

G - Bazemore / Bembry / Dorsey / Cleveland

F - Prince / Huerter

PF - Collins / Moose ( if he opts in ) / Spellman

C - Dedmon / Plumlee

Wow....conflicted.  I really wanted to see aggressive movement to get a second lottery pick.  If not for Orlando taking him, 5 is a bit early for Trae but he is a solid pick who will play in the NBA a long time. Huerter @ 19 is excellent value. We can wait on the hand to heal. Spellman @ 30 is very good value. Overall a B....though I really would have liked to see more movement.

I give it a B+. I feel like we got a star, a starter, and rotation big. Either way, I feel like we added when 3 real players to this team when teams struggle to add 1. The trade back could’ve been negotiated better, but we got our guy and another possible lottery pick next season. 

• Like 2

C is the best i can do it needless to say im not very happy with it at all and im actually more pissed right now than i imagine most people still might be.   I just got home from work and the last thing i seen was the Hawks take Doncic at 3 on my phone so this whole time until i just now got home i thought we had drafted Doncic and finally once in our sorry ass existence made the correct move but why would i expect that we are the damn Hawks and we just did what we always do. 

• Like 1

• Admin

Doncic trade was bad

Huerter can be solid but his and Young’s lack of d is not a good thing

Spellman is decent at 30 but players like khyri Thomas was still on the board

graham was a solid pick and was traded away ...

underwhelming draft that had so much potential leading up to it ... 

• Like 2

The Trey pick makes this draft just too hard to grade.  We may get a real star player or a total bust.  I like the 19 (wish Lonnie had still been there) and the 30.  We are a much better shooting team so tonight I a think a B- because the Dallas pick should not be protected and this draft cant really be graded till we see what that pick becomes

I’ll give us an A-

Doncic will be a star and so will Trae. 

Again, I think Trae is the best shooting prospect I’ve seen in a while and his passing is on point. Doncic had size and international flare on Trae.

Kevin Huerter was the best shooter out of the shooting guards and he’s got a machine like release. Needs to beef up fast.

Spellman is the best shooting center in the draft or up there if not the best.

Not sexy but we definitely have an identity now...we want to score 200 a night and give up 199.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

I’ll give us an A-

Again, I think Trae is the best shooting prospect I’ve seen in a while and his passing is on point. Doncic had size and international flare on Trae.

Kevin Huerter was the best shooter out of the shooting guards and he’s got a machine like release. Needs to beef up fast.

Not sexy but we definitely have an identity now...we want to score 200 a night and give up 199.

Giving up 220 per night.

• Like 4

Just now, Watchman said:

Giving up 220 per night.

Lol ya next year for sure. Possibly the one after that as well. But ultimately it’ll be like a video game ..

2022 NBA Finals Game 7

Hawks 157

Kings 156

MVP Trae Young

I'll go with a B as well

We got a lotto pick and a very high ceiling PG. One of the better shooting wing prospects to come out in a bit, and a nice high energy stretch big.

But if Doncic is what 99% of the draft world thinks he can be then it all gets thrown out the window.

... for the Hawks....remember, we drafted Marvin Williams over CP3 and grabbed Shelden over a ton of better players.  Our past efficiency with high draft picks is so bad ...  I would give us an A- on the "Hawks Scale".

Now if we were graded against the whole league I would say C+.

8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’ll give us an A-

I like your optimism and almost agree lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJlaysitup said:

... for the Hawks....remember, we drafted Marvin Williams over CP3 and grabbed Shelden over a ton of better players.  Our past efficiency with high draft picks is so bad ...  I would give us an A- on the "Hawks Scale".

Now if we were graded against the whole league I would say C+.

Note:  If we had drafted the best player available at the #34 spot with the intent of developing him into a solid roster player I would have given us a solid B....possibly even a B+

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I like your optimism and almost agree lol

I know I know ...I wanted Doncic too along with all of Slovenia. But I’m looking at it like it was a Magic (Doncic) Zeke (Trae) draft. 

I won't give the draft a letter grade, but I will describe this draft with this term.

Risky.

I mentioned yesterday that Travis Schlenk's roots in the NBA are in the ground next to Don Nelson's tree.  If you know anything about Don Nelson, you know that two things stand out.  First, he is unconventional in his approach to things.  Second, he valued an up tempo style and floor spacing three point shooters before it became the in vogue thing in the NBA.  His issue is that he seemingly didn't value defense at all.

The three players the Hawks drafted shot a combined 653 three point shots this past seasons.  They hit 256 of those three point shots for a 39.2% three point percentage.  53% of the total shots these players took were three point shots.  

Trea Young and Kevin Huerter both bring above average play making ability for their positions as well.  Trae is a tremendous passer.  It's his best trait, IMO.  His court vision and passing accuracy are the best in this draft.  He's not as good as Luka Doncic in the pick and roll game yet, but the guy knows how to pass the basketball.  

Kevin Huerter can handle the ball and has the chops to be a secondary ball handler.  He has some decision making issues at times.  There is some latent defensive potential in him as well.  He's actually a solid team defender right now. 

Omari Spellman is only 6'9", but he has a 7'2" wingspan, and has shown some rim protection ability.

This is a direct quote from Travis Schlenk when he took the job:

the goal is to find another Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green.

Well, he has tried to do that in one draft.  I do agree with those that see it as a concern that he is essentially trying to recreate the Warriors roster in Atlanta.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Doncic trade was bad

Huerter can be solid but his and Young’s lack of d is not a good thing

Spellman is decent at 30 but players like khyri Thomas was still on the board

graham was a solid pick and was traded away ...

underwhelming draft that had so much potential leading up to it ... 

Except Huerter is not a bad defender. 

• Like 1