• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rate the Hawks Draft

TheNorthCydeRises

Grade the Hawks Draft  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, skimaskway23 said:

I think schlenk went with trae over doncic because of how lethal that 3 can be. Especially off the dribble, that can be a game breaker at times. 

Both are great playmakers but that 3pt range changes how teams are going to play us on screens

Luka may not have the long range shooting of Trae, but he has more tricks in his bag with his pull-ups, floaters, step-backs. Also, Luka can play off the ball, and has been effective in that role in Europe when called upon. Trae is highly ball dominant, and is a guy who is basically useless without the ball.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Luka may not have the long range shooting of Trae, but he has more tricks in his bag with his pull-ups, floaters, step-backs. Also, Luka can play off the ball, and has been effective in that role in Europe when called upon. Trae is highly ball dominant, and is a guy who is basically useless without the ball.

When a player can catch and shoot like Trae, he won't have any problems playing off the ball.  Plus Trae has more tricks around the basket.  You don't average 27ppg and get to the foul line 10 times per game shooting jumpers

• Like 2

21 hours ago, kurupt said:

40 minute games vs. 48 minute games. Doncic played 25 minutes per game (which translates to 30 mpg in the NBA) and averaged 14.5/5.2/4.6. That right there is 21/7.5/6.6 per 36 minutes. Also, Assists in international Basketball are not given out as easily as in the NBA (direct shot after the pass or at most 1 dribble or it is not an assist) and the scoring load is much more balanced, especially in the top teams.

Source: https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/luka-doncic-1.html

He is also notorious for the number of end-of-quarter heaves (half-court shots etc.) he takes (27 over all his games this year). Adjusted to "normal" hots, he shot 35%, most of them (like Trae Young for example) difficult, 1-1on1- step backs and the likes. I mean, he had a TS% of 62%, despite having a "bad" shooting year.

And many people forget that he just played 91 games since 30th of June 2017. Since he was 17, he played in 172 over 21 straight months. Meanwhile College players fell off a cliff after their first 15 or so games. He hasn't seen a weight-room during that time. He will be much more fresh and athletic after his first full summer "off" (= conditioning) since he was 17 years.

@  Buzzard

What a stupid ass argument. So just because I am from Germany I know less about basketball (and apparently less about Euroleague/European National Leagues) than any American basketball fan? Makes sense. I mean, I played against Daniel Theis and Dennis Schröder in Braunschweig and some other domestic talent that went on to play for the National Team, worked for professional Basketball teams, know a former NBA Championship winner who played here on a personal level...but hey, Darryl from Texas sure knows more about Basketball because he lives in the same country the NBA plays in. Makes sense. Thanks for making my point about ignorant people.

You're the kinda guy that writes stuff like "Schröder averaged similar numbers as Doncic, lol competition" - yeah, in the 5th best league on the worst team. That is like a 5th Division of the G-League and comparing their worst team with the Golden State Warriors.

kurupt, I am not a super basketball expert, but note that a LOT (!!!!!!!!) of people were upset by the trae pick.  "my name is luka" was there and I think that hawks fans wanted us to take a flyer on him.  I know that I did.

That said, the draft is always a crap shoot and neither doncic nor trae are surefire picks.  i think with doncic the question marks are more around his athleticism and strength.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, kerrypack said:

kurupt, I am not a super basketball expert, but note that a LOT (!!!!!!!!) of people were upset by the trae pick.  "my name is luka" was there and I think that hawks fans wanted us to take a flyer on him.  I know that I did.

That said, the draft is always a crap shoot and neither doncic nor trae are surefire picks.  i think with doncic the question marks are more around his athleticism and strength.  

The 1 thing that we do know is that Trae has a skill that very few have which is shooting from distance off the dribble and in a catch and shoot situation with ease.  He has to be in the top 99 percentile in that category.  Passing is probably in the 90th percentile also.  What skill does Luke possess that makes him a 1 percenter?

9 hours ago, bleachkit said:

You think a guy who can shoot like Trae, couldn't be effective off the ball?   Just because Trae wasn't used in this capacity in college, doesn't mean that he can't play off the ball.  The kid is a smart player and will be able to adapt his off the ball game quite easily to the pros.  He'll have to learn to fight through screens ( on offense and defense ), but I seriously doubt he'll be "useless" without the ball.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AHF said:

If they deal Dennis, it makes sense to sign a vet who can start if needed and can mentor regardless.  Short term deal.

It's a shame that the organization couldn't do the same for Dennis, especially coming off of that playoff performance vs Washington.   

Instead, they left him to be the fall guy for everything that was going to be wrong with the team.  Having a vet PG in his ear during this down period could've been very beneficial for Dennis.   Couldn't do that though.  That would've been a detriment to their master tank plan.

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

When a player can catch and shoot like Trae, he won't have any problems playing off the ball.  Plus Trae has more tricks around the basket.  You don't average 27ppg and get to the foul line 10 times per game shooting jumpers

Very true.  He won't have much issue playing off the ball.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/24/2018 at 9:22 AM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's a shame that the organization couldn't do the same for Dennis, especially coming off of that playoff performance vs Washington.   

Instead, they left him to be the fall guy for everything that was going to be wrong with the team.  Having a vet PG in his ear during this down period could've been very beneficial for Dennis.   Couldn't do that though.  That would've been a detriment to their master tank plan.

Dennis had 4 years of a vet to learn from in Teague so not quite the same considerations when he took over as Young would face next season but I totally agree they screwed the pooch bringing in worthless Delaney as the primary backup.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Dennis had 4 years of a vet to learn from in Teague so not quite the same considerations when he took over as Young would face next season but I totally agree they screwed the pooch bringing in worthless Delaney as the primary backup.  

If only Jarrett Jack had been healthy @kg01

• Like 2