• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Alright Bembry, It’s Time

benhillboy

• Premium Member

Bembry is a shooting guard who lacks a competent jump shot , even from mid-range. On top of that he also lacks elite level size or athleticism to make up for his lack of shooting. Unless he dramatically improves his shooting (which is rare for any player at this level to do) his future in this league is quite bleak. 

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

...he also lacks elite level size or athleticism to make up for his lack of shooting. 

Bud had him running PG quite a bit to my personal liking.  6’6” 210 has him listed at SF.  Have you not seen him catch alley oops with two hands with ease?

1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

Bembey is a BACKUP 2 guard. Not a starter

I’m aware of that.  I’m also aware of backup players who finish games for championship squads.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Bud had him running PG quite a bit to my personal liking.  6’6” 210 has him listed at SF.  Have you not seen him catch alley oops with two hands with ease?

I’m aware of that.  I’m also aware of backup players who finish games for championship squads.

I'm not saying Bembry isn't a good athlete. I'm saying he isn't elite. He kind of needs to be if he isn't going to fix his shot. 

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

Bembry is the only player left on the roster who precedes general manager Travis Schlenk’s arrival in Atlanta, a precarious position to be in but one Bembry embraces because it shows him that management and the coaching staff believe in him and see his value.

There were some nerves this summer when he learned his closest friend on the team, Taurean Prince, was traded to Brooklyn.

“You never know with the trade deadline,” Bembry said. “I’ve been nervous for every single trade deadline ever since I was a rookie. I would be like, ‘Oh, shit, the trade deadline is here.’ I’ve worked out for all of these teams, and you just think they might be coming for you. 

“I’m here for a reason, I feel like. They could have easily traded me. I still feel like I have something to prove, and I’m looking forward to doing that this season. I feel like if I can prove myself then I can stay here for a long time. You never know what can happen. 

Head coach Lloyd Pierce has noticed Bembry’s dedication to his growth and development plan. Pierce said that there’s no doubt Bembry has spent more time in Atlanta’s practice complex this offseason than any other player on the roster.

“He knows his growth long-term is going to come down to his growth on the offensive end, specifically with shooting,” Pierce said. “I’m proud of the kid. I think he’s done a tremendous job since he’s been here of committing himself to the Atlanta Hawks and committing himself to his growth and development.”

Those who follow the Hawks closely know Pierce isn’t mincing his words when he says how proud he is of Bembry. He’s one of Pierce’s personal favorites because of the spark he provides off the bench and his effort on defense.

“He has to be and will be our highest-motor guy defensively,” Pierce said. “He’s one of our best athletes. He’s one guy that I know for sure that I can stick on a perimeter player in the NBA and feel secure about, so that’s not going to change. As long as he’s doing that, I think he’s going to be all right. We’ve got a lot of versatility and we’ve got a lot of depth, and that’s the beauty of competition. They all have to earn it.”

Bembry will play because of what Pierce said about his defense, but Bembry’s offense has to improve for him to have a solidified role. He knows this.

“I feel like I’m the best player that I’ve been in my life, to be honest,” he said. “I think that’s because of the work I’ve put in with (assistant coach Chris) Jent, who’s been here before Lloyd was here.  His brother Adrian Potts — his best friend — was killed shortly before he was drafted. Bembry said these past few years have been a lot to handle mentally. He then had to deal with numerous injuries in his first two seasons that saw him play in just 38 and 26 games. That’s why he feels like last year was his “rookie” year. When I asked players at media day who stood out to them this summer, several said Bembry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member

It's highly unlikely that the Hawks will extend Bembry's contract before the October 21st deadline, but if they were - how much would you be comfortable with offering?

He is currently making $2.6 mil this year, his QO for next season is $3.7 mil.

(Malik Beasley (Nuggets), declined a 3yr/$30 mil extension).

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's highly unlikely that the Hawks will extend Bembry's contract before the October 21st deadline, but if they were - how much would you be comfortable with offering?

He is currently making $2.6 mil this year, his QO for next season is $3.7 mil.

(Malik Beasley (Nuggets), declined a 3yr/$30 mil extension).

I'm a Bembry believer. If he can EVER hit the 3, he'll be good for us. I'd lock him up for cheap if we can, $7-8ish M, Crowder money

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I'm a Bembry believer. If he can EVER hit the 3, he'll be good for us. I'd lock him up for cheap if we can, $7-8ish M, Crowder money

21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's the range I'm thinking.

Bingo: $8mill/yr

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...