• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Begining to look like Dennis is staying

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Hawks coach says Dennis Schröder on board to be ‘role model’ for Trae Young

Trae Young comes to the Hawks with the expectation that he will develop into a star NBA point guard. The Hawks already have an established point guard, Dennis Schröder, and the incumbent expressed a desire for a trade even before the team acquired Young in the draft last week. 

Managing that dynamic will be one of first-year coach Lloyd Pierce’s tasks. He said that after talking with Schröder following the draft he believes the veteran will help the incoming rookie adjust to the NBA. 

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-coach-pierce-says-dennis-Schröder-board-role-model-for-trae-young/BHOedbSox2boJbNbKbd6nL/

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Smells more like a complicated game of 'say the right things', folks.

Despite everything, I still like Dennis.  But I can certainly understand that this may not be the right place for him at this point in his career.  Seriously, he's too young to be serving as a mentor to 'the next guy'.  That's something a guy like Calderon should be doing.

I think it's unfair to ask him to do that.  Let's be honest, rightly or wrongly, they have decided to switch horses here.  Dennis is good enough to be a starter somewhere.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him in CHA or ORL in exchange for one of their bad contracts.

I don't understand...Dennis and Trae will get plenty of playing time...He's not a bench player coach.  Why is this so hard to understand especially since we as Hawk fans just witness Teague and Dennis on the same team

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I don't understand...Dennis and Trae will get plenty of playing time...He's not a bench player coach.  Why is this so hard to understand especially since we as Hawk fans just witness Teague and Dennis on the same team

Just seems weird.  Not something to get all hangry about.

And, be honest, 'mentor' isn't the first word that comes to mind when you think of Dennis.  I hope he stays and does a great job of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I think the difference is the expectation of each player. Dennis was picked at 17th and was not supposed to be a starter right away on a "winning team." Anyone picked in the top 5 can be reasonably expected to start right away, especially considering the Hawks won't be winning for a while. Might as well give the keys to the top 5 pick early on. Plus, all the other stuff about Dennis not wanting to be here gives caution that he might become a problem in the locker room. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, DS5 said:

I think the difference is the expectation of each player. Dennis was picked at 17th and was not supposed to be a starter right away on a "winning team." Anyone picked in the top 5 can be reasonably expected to start right away, especially considering the Hawks won't be winning for a while. Might as well give the keys to the top 5 pick early on. Plus, all the other stuff about Dennis not wanting to be here gives caution that he might become a problem in the locker room. 

Pierce doesn't agree with you

Pierce said he’s confident Schröder will work well with Young when he returns. 

“Talking to Dennis, he’s excited,” Pierce said. “He was excited about who were going to end up with in the draft and he was excited about where we are headed. I talked to him about playing with Trae and with the other guys. He’s back in Germany with his national team but he’s also excited about the guys that we have.”

• Like 1

Just now, Peoriabird said:

“Talking to Dennis, he’s excited,” Pierce said. “He was excited about who were going to end up with in the draft and he was excited about where we are headed. I talked to him about playing with Trae and with the other guys. He’s back in Germany with his national team but he’s also excited about the guys that we have.”

Maybe they really are being genuine, who knows. In my opinion, they're just saying the right things...they can't come out and say "we can't find any trade partners for Dennis so we're stuck with him." 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
Just now, DS5 said:

Maybe they really are being genuine, who knows. In my opinion, they're just saying the right things...they can't come out and say "we can't find any trade partners for Dennis so we're stuck with him." 

This has always been a fan and Brad Rowland narrative...I always felt that Dennis was going to be a Hawks this season unless the team got blown away by an offer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DS5 said:

Yep. You can bet Dennis knows that Young is his replacement. Dennis might not go before the season starts, but his tenure here will be coming to an end sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, DS5 said:

Difference is that I'm a Dennis fan, and this is not wishful thinking. I just can't see Dennis here past the trade deadline. 

Same here.  I think Peo's anger is being directed at folks who've never liked Dennis anyway.  I feel him there.  There are too many among us who just don't like the guy but won't just come out and say it.

• Like 1

I think Dennis will play better with Trae. Trae can be more of a floor general , and Dennis can do what he does best, attack the rim. Also, I think Pierce will keep Dennis on a short leash unlike Bud. I think it might be exciting to see them together, at least on offense.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I like it. I know a lot of yall want to say otherwise but I am not sold on playing Young so many minutes as a rookie. If he can play 24-26MPG, I am happy with that 

Got a lot of upset Dennis haters who spent a lot of time creating narratives and made up stories to get rid of him but it looks like he is staying! Of course the next move from their play book is to attack the GM...You watch!  LOL!

• Like 3

• Moderators

From a roster construction and development standpoint, I have a hard time seeing (a) Young and Dennis playing on the floor at the same time (defensively it could be epic and would almost certainly be worse defensively than Curry and Monta which was unsustainably bad) and (b) investing $15.5M and the #3 pick into splitting 48-58 minutes per game. 

We aren't going to be adding big FAs so no burning need from a cap management perspective to move Dennis but I have a hard time seeing how to successfully simultaneously feature Dennis and give Trae the significant minutes he needs for development.

If you assume that either Schlenk wants to have leverage to trade Dennis or that he legitimately wants to keep Dennis, then the rhetoric will sound the same:  "Dennis has a great attitude and can't wait to play this season for the Hawks."  

• Like 1

Trae off the bench? 

30 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Yeah right. No way he was "excited" when we drafted Trae. lol

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's cause they didn't like Dennis to begin with and they are mad he took Teague's spot.

Dennis is a flawed player but you would think he's utterly useless on the court the way some talk.

Granted Dennis hasn't helped his cause by his offcourt stuff.

Yeah, Dennis has real talent -- just has been a liability on D and struggled shooting the ball.  While he tailed off last year, he showed some legit improvement in his ball protection which was an important area of improvement behind the aforementioned weaknesses.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Yeah, Dennis has real talent -- just has been a liability on D and struggled shooting the ball.  While he tailed off last year, he showed some legit improvement in his ball protection which was an important area of improvement behind the aforementioned weaknesses.

Ball protection, the ability to absorb contact and finish, his midrange improved. He was money on that baseline out of bounds play in the midrange.

His defense and 3ball took a nose dive off a cliff.

What's funny is, I've already heard the narrative that the reason Trae was so bad defensively was because he had to carry the offense.....sounds familiar, same can be said about Dennis.

Then again if the Hawks are deliberately trying to lose games, why give a hoot on defense.

• Like 4