• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Pierce talks about the scheme. Will play an extreme verison of pace and space. More advanced system than the Warriors

NBASupes

Pierce, about to start his first season as Hawks head coach, wants players that come with three different skills – the ability to shoot stationary, in movement and off the dribble. He already knows Huerter possesses the first two characteristics. A player’s ability in movement will be key as a new scheme is implemented.

Said Pierce: “When you have a guy like (fellow draft pick) Trae (Young) who can facilitate. If you have a guy like Dennis (Schröder) who can facilitate. If you have a guy who has the defense constantly moving, that’s an added skill. It’s an added value. It’s what makes Golden State hard to guard because all those guys are moving, all those guys are shooting off the dribble and all those guys can catch-and-shoot. That is just from the 3-point line.

“It gives you that other layer of shooting. A lot of the league is just catch-and-shoot 3-pointers, specifically in the corners, but if you get a guy who is moving the defense and allows guys to attack and then when there is separation you are going to get free opportunities. He is an added weapon without the basketball.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/shooters-shoot-kevin-huerter-impresses-even-with-hand-injury/jaPwEyFhAoKMlTKr98uYOL/

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I thought he didn't know anything about offense...At least that's what I was told by the experts here.

The Dr who plays a Basketball expert on Hawksquawk or he is the same one that stayed at a Holiday Inn last night?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aali34 said:

Now I really can't wait for summer league

Expect a lot of turnovers.  All teams that take the approach the Hawks are taking with regards to asset accumulation try to apply this offensive strategy, and the reason is simple.  They know these young players cannot play at that kind of pace without making a shitload of mistakes.  That's the real reason they want to go ahead and push this style.  This will be a very turnover prone team for 2-3 years while these wet behind the ears young'uns get use to the speed of the game.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Expect a lot of turnovers.  All teams that take the approach the Hawks are taking with regards to asset accumulation try to apply this offensive strategy, and the reason is simple.  They know these young players cannot play at that kind of pace without making a shitload of mistakes.  That's the real reason they want to go ahead and push this style.  This will be a very turnover prone team for 2-3 years while these wet behind the ears young'uns get use to the speed of the game.

At least its better than running an Orlando style offense

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, KB21 said:

The writer has some good points, but fails to address that Brooklyn has players like Russel, Okafor, and Mozgov who aren't very quick. Not to mention a lack of shooting across the board. 

Collins, Bazemore, Young, Huerter and Prince are better equipped for that type of pace.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I thought he didn't know anything about offense...At least that's what I was told by the experts here.

You don't know if you got a coach until you see the things they do in game. For example, in the Boston/Philly series Brad Stevens was schooling Brett Brown on every adjustment.