• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Dennis trade talk should stop immediately!!!

Peoriabird

Let me start by saying I was a Dennis guy, before the fight. Even after the fight, I thought it was just a scuffle, until the details came out and Dennis was kicking the guy once he was down.  That level of low self-control is not what this young team needs around, especially with Young. For Dennis' sake, I hope he grows up soon, but I don't think that should be on the Hawks watch at this point in the team's development. 

Let me also say, that Young was the LAST guy I wanted from the top pick. However, he's a Hawks, so I want him to develop into the best player he can be.  To that end, Trae doesn't need an immature, and low self-control mentor, such as Dennis, around him.  I agree Young is no where near being ready to be a starter in the NBA, but he needs a better guy to show him the ropes than Dennis. 

Bottom line for me: Dennis needs to go for what we can get to move the process along. 

8 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I want another vet pg here to play in front of Trae. Honestly I’d like a Jameer Nelson type vet. A small guy who has been in the league for a long time to show Trae some tricks.

Yeah, whoever the vet is its also to help Trae preserve as well as build up his body this year. Can't imagine him going thirty minutes a night times 82 or whatever. Body would just never hold up at this stage.

9 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Problem is that the other guys at least showcased their "billed" talent in at least 1 game.  Even JJJ had 3 blocks tonight.

Trae's playmaking will translate, so I'm not worried about that.  But he has to get a lot more mentally tough on the court.  That was my major concern with him last winter.

It'll be a shame if Colin Sexton turns out to be the better player, especially with Colin right in the Hawks backyard.

Colin will look better, but Trae will be better over time.

11 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Yeah, whoever the vet is its also to help Trae preserve as well as build up his body this year. Can't imagine him going thirty minutes a night times 82 or whatever. Body would just never hold up at this stage.

Agreed. It takes a few years of natural maturity for the body to grow into itself but he can definitely get to work in the weight room now. That’s a must for him. With this body he can’t even endure a common cold much less an 82 game schedule.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTB said:

Dennis can stay for all I care but you don’t draft a player top 5 to watch him come off the bench . Smh

that just doesn’t happen in the NBA. What would be better is if we had at least one of two more veteran starters that can be on the court with Trae instead of mostly young guys who are still trying to figure it out.

Another thing, we can talk about Trae not being ready but he needs on court experience....nothing is better than that.

last I’m not too confident in what I’ve seen in coach pierce! I get Trae is struggling but not only does Trae looked confused, this whole offense looks like a train wreck. I’ve watched all the summer league teams every year and this is the most unorganized offense I’ve seen for a summer league team!....I’m not looking for perfect plays just looking for the team to at least be organized. Like last year for example we loss games but we could tell the players knew what their roles were....not the case this summer

I don’t know where the narrative comes from. Rookies in most cases are not ready to be starters their rookie season. You put your best players on the floor and right now Trae isn’t our best PG.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Agreed. It takes a few years of natural maturity for the body to grow into itself but he can definitely get to work in the weight room now. That’s a must for him. With this body he can’t even endure a common cold much less an 82 game schedule.

You know what ? For all the grief we’ve given Trae about being small, we NEVER were as vocal about Dennis being small. I mean dude was 165 when he came in the league.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

You know what ? For all the grief we’ve given Trae about being small, we NEVER were as vocal about Dennis being small. I mean dude was 165 when he came in the league.

Agreed. We looked at him as a Rondo type clone even though Rondo is more built. Not sure why we gave him a pass..lingth? ? 

• Like 1

Dennis didn't catch flak because he was not drafted in the top five of the lotto and we knew he wouldn't be looking at heavy minutes right off the bat. Here is hoping Trae does not carry heavy minutes way too soon himself.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Dennis didn't catch flak because he was not drafted in the top five of the lotto and we knew he wouldn't be looking at heavy minutes right off the bat. Here is hoping Trae does not carry heavy minutes way too soon himself.

Yep, plus Dennis was wirey, athletic, long wignspan. He could get whereever he wanted on the floor. And he wasn't AFRAID. 

Trae looks, how the kids say...shook.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I’m one of Trae biggest proponents, but even I knew that Trae would be better served backing up Dennis. It’s going to take him a season or 2 to adapt his game to the length and athleticism of the NBA. The good thing is that he’s not Kendall Marshall bad athletically. Hes stinking up Summer League because he’s still forced to play like he’s in Oklahoma. Trae is going to take time to be a full time starter.

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yep, plus Dennis was wirey, athletic, long wignspan. He could get whereever he wanted on the floor. And he wasn't AFRAID. 

• Like 1

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Pressure to the savior is getting to him. Hope he adjusts his own expectations. Im just shocked at just how bad of a shooting slump he’s in.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Pressure to the savior is getting to him. Hope he adjusts his own expectations. Im just shocked at just how bad of a shooting slump he’s in.

1st, he needs to stop shooting from 4 feet beyond the 3 pt line. And just slow down - stop rushing shots. He's pressing even more.

Can he shoot from midrange?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Because Dennis wasn't a top 5 pick, and potentially being hailed as the franchise's savior.   I definitely questioned early on if Dennis could last in this league, especially with that low projectory set shot that he was shooting.   But he's managed to use his speed to get enough space to shoot the midrange jumper.

Like Lonzo Ball, the midrange game is missing from Trae's game, because all of these coaches and analytics people swear up and down that "long 2s" are the worst shot in the game.   It's a philosophy that has killed the efficiency of some of these kids coming out of college.  True shot creators MUST have that midrange game in their arsenal, to keep them from being so easy to guard.  A guy like Trae, who is undersized, can't just live off of 3s, or trying to get to the rack.  He must have an intermediate game, much like Dennis has.

I agree. Like many have said the midrange is a lost art. I feel like Trae has that push floater in the lane...it’s not a midrange shot but from the distance that he usually takes the floaters, it’s not too far off. But point taken, he needs to develop a midrange for sure.

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He looks just like @kg01 trying to go up against me:

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Wait I just used ...nevermind..handle you biz soth!

I'm at work, don't have time to read every post in a thread. Posted that before I saw you had the same idea. Kinda funny though we both had the same thought. Cuz that's exactly what Law 2.0 is. Shook one. Boy is SHOOK and we're talking summer league.

26 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I'm at work, don't have time to read every post in a thread. Posted that before I saw you had the same idea. Kinda funny though we both had the same thought. Cuz that's exactly what Law 2.0 is. Shook one. Boy is SHOOK and we're talking summer league.

One of my fav songs. Will you be back on, or get on the Trae wagon if he scores 30 tomorrow?

• Like 1