• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rebuild patience.........

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

A side note...Bud isn't in charge of player personnel in Milwaukee is he?  If so ...Sounds like he is up to his old tricks

7 minutes ago

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

A side note...Bud isn't in charge of player personnel in Milwaukee is he?  If so ...Sounds like he is up to his old tricks

Marc SteinVerified account @TheSteinLine 7m7 minutes ago

The Bucks always resisted calls to trade Jabari Parker and always scoffed at suggestions that he wasn't a fit alongside Giannis Antetokounmpo. Now they've lost a former No. 2 overall pick without compensation. Not how you expected Parker's tenure in Milwaukee to end

This has Budcox written all over it.

• Premium Member
Just now, GThawks3 said:

Still better chance to get a star player in the top 5.

But not necessary...which is the point. so the Hawks don't have to draft multiple top 5 players to find 1 or 2 stars.  That's a myth many of the fans on this site want to believe.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

I'm not sure we've ever had a GM as draft savvy as Schlenk.

That's a huuuuuge advantage, if in fact, that regard for him proves true.

Not very many of us think we'll be relevant in 2019-2020. I don't. (But I do think it's more than plausible that we'll have a foundational player emerge by that season.)

I think we could be relevant in 2020-2021, though.

Where it goes from there, though, I won't even hazard a guess, nor set any expectations.

This is why I like Schlenk so much. He went against conventional wisdom by taking Trae. It would have been easy to take Doncic based on his size and ability to be a big PG; perceived mismatches all day long. He could have just as easily grabbed JJJ or Bamba based on their measurables alone. ESPN and all the pundits would have given him a good grade and their would be peace on earth and goodwill among the fans and media

Instead he went with who he thought was BPA and nailed us a extra draft pick as well. The kahunas it takes to do this is just impressive as hell to me. Much respect for being the boldest GM on draft day.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

By his own analysis, assuming one can believe what he says publicly (which of course historically is a 50/50 bet), he saw the two as equivalent options.

The 1st was what made that decision easy.

Not all that brave, imo, but I do agree that media instant reaction is almost always to celebrate players not future draft picks in these things.

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Marc SteinVerified account @TheSteinLine 7m7 minutes ago

The Bucks always resisted calls to trade Jabari Parker and always scoffed at suggestions that he wasn't a fit alongside Giannis Antetokounmpo. Now they've lost a former No. 2 overall pick without compensation. Not how you expected Parker's tenure in Milwaukee to end

Ha, but No. That's not on Bud.  Parker was offered an extension during the season, he declined.

Bud wasn't the one who overpaid Henson (10.6), Delly (9.6), Snelly,(10.5) Tele(10.5)  and the Plumlee (12.4) we have (brought here by Schlenk), then made a trade to hard cap their team and put them him luxury tax hell if they matched a RFA offer on Parker from the Bulls, instead forcing them to decline his QO. That's on their GMJohn Horst, the same guy who let the cat out of the bag who they were drafting so Schlenk was able to keep the #30 instead of trading it along with #19 to move up 2 spots.

Oh...Parker isn't worth $20 million.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Building on @JayBirdHawk's post... I think it's terribly simplistic to look at the surface on these things. In the salary cap ecology, there is ALWAYS an advantage and a disadvantage to be weighed, if not multiple ones, in the decision to retain or let go of a player.

I'm still optimistic!  So much depends on things that none of us have any control over.  Right now the Atlanta Hawks have so many unknowns, I don't know where to start.

The first thing is health.  No NBA team has any guarantee as to the health of any of their players.  Any one of them could end up with a season ending injury in pre season. 

Next, the Hawks have three teen agers to train.  How quick will they learn?  How good will they be in year one of their NBA career?  Big questions that no one can truly know the answer.  We just have to wait and see.

How good will our new head coach and all his assistant coaches turn out to be?  We all hope and trust that they will be great.  Right now, we just have to trust the Hawk people who hired him.

To prove to all of us the adage, "You never know" consider our very recent example.  Summer League.  The baby Hawks gave up on the last game.  They with held some of their SL starting five.  In no way could they ever compete in this game.  A blow out for our opponent before the first tip off.

What happened?  This morning, I pulled up the replay to watch and I discover, Hawks win!  Do what?  That was supposed to be impossible, wasn't it?  Well, I suppose "You never know!"

If an eastern team wins half their games, they have a pretty good chance of making the playoffs.  Some here seem to think that actually making the playoffs this season would be a real disaster.  Bull Feathers!  If they turn out to stay healthy and are good enough, there is no way they shouldn't go.  That elusive, gotta have, all star NBA player that is going to insure our future for the next twenty years ain't in the draft.

This is year two of the rebuild.  We don't have to stay down, like the Sixers did.  I believe the Hawks will be bad in the first half of the season and, if they stay healthy, good in the second half, winning 41 for the season!!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I'm still optimistic!  So much depends on things that none of us have any control over.  Right now the Atlanta Hawks have so many unknowns, I don't know where to start.

The first thing is health.  No NBA team has any guarantee as to the health of any of their players.  Any one of them could end up with a season ending injury in pre season. 

Next, the Hawks have three teen agers to train.  How quick will they learn?  How good will they be in year one of their NBA career?  Big questions that no one can truly know the answer.  We just have to wait and see.

How good will our new head coach and all his assistant coaches turn out to be?  We all hope and trust that they will be great.  Right now, we just have to trust the Hawk people who hired him.

To prove to all of us the adage, "You never know" consider our very recent example.  Summer League.  The baby Hawks gave up on the last game.  They with held some of their SL starting five.  In no way could they ever compete in this game.  A blow out for our opponent before the first tip off.

What happened?  This morning, I pulled up the replay to watch and I discover, Hawks win!  Do what?  That was supposed to be impossible, wasn't it?  Well, I suppose "You never know!"

If an eastern team wins half their games, they have a pretty good chance of making the playoffs.  Some here seem to think that actually making the playoffs this season would be a real disaster.  Bull Feathers!  If they turn out to stay healthy and are good enough, there is no way they shouldn't go.  That elusive, gotta have, all star NBA player that is going to insure our future for the next twenty years ain't in the draft.

This is year two of the rebuild.  We don't have to stay down, like the Sixers did.  I believe the Hawks will be bad in the first half of the season and, if they stay healthy, good in the second half, winning 41 for the season!!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

I'm not worried about the Hawks personnel because I think that they can compete in the East with their current personnel.  I'm worried about the ghost of season's past and whether or not the conspiracies regarding roster tampering are founded.  If Pierce plays it strait up, we can compete for a playoff spot. But if there is roster manipulation like last year, It will be another long and painful season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

But not necessary...which is the point. so the Hawks don't have to draft multiple top 5 players to find 1 or 2 stars.  That's a myth many of the fans on this site want to believe.

NBA is a star driven league. There is a better chance you draft a star player in the top 3-5 picks. So yeah I’m rooting for a top 3 pick in the 19 draft to pair with Trae, Prince, Collins. 

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

NBA is a star driven league. There is a better chance you draft a star player in the top 3-5 picks. So yeah I’m rooting for a top 3 pick in the 19 draft to pair with Trae, Prince, Collins. 

Root on...I'm off that train!  By the way, not too many great teams have taken 2 or more trips inside the top 5 in a 2-3 year period.  Just saying.

23 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm not worried about the Hawks personnel because I think that they can compete in the East with their current personnel.  I'm worried about the ghost of season's past and whether or not the conspiracies regarding roster tampering are founded.  If Pierce plays it strait up, we can compete for a playoff spot. But if there is roster manipulation like last year, It will be another long and painful season.

Dennis, Baze, Prince, Collins, Dedmon as starters. They can compete with the lower 1/2 of the East. But conspiracy theory or not, if you want our three rookies to get 15 to 20 minutes a game, we will lose some of those 50/50 games due their inexperience,

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, Buzzard said:

Dennis, Baze, Prince, Collins, Dedmon as starters. They can compete with the lower 1/2 of the East. But conspiracy theory or not, if you want our three rookies to get 15 to 20 minutes a game, we will lose some of those 50/50 games due their inexperience,

I think the players that will receive the majority of the bench minutes will be Moose and Plumlee up front and Bembry and Dorsey on the wings and maybe Cleveland.  Trae will get minutes but that boy can play.  Even Spellman isn't mistake prone.  We'll have to wait and see with Huerter.  I hope we pick up another vet big

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I think the players that will receive the majority of the bench minutes will be Moose and Plumlee up front and Bembry and Dorsey on the wings and maybe Cleveland.  Trae will get minutes but that boy can play.  Even Spellman isn't mistake prone.  We'll have to wait and see with Huerter.  I hope we pick up another vet big

The bench rotations will be the show for us. We know what the first five I mentioned will bring to the table. There is Lin as well once he is game ready,

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

The bench rotations will be the show for us. We know what the first five I mentioned will bring to the table. There is Lin as well once he is game ready,

It will be so nice not seeing Delaney as the 1st sub...I can't wait!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Generally speaking, though, my perception of history is that you climb back to playoff relevance, first... THEN... you climb up to actual contention for a conference finals appearance... THEN... you climb up to being in the conversation for an NBA championship.

The one constant to getting to an NBA championship is you first draft a hall of fame player.  

Some people say the Lakers are an exception because they didn’t draft Kobe, they traded for Kobe on draft day.  I think that is splitting hairs, but if you can accept that Kobe was drafted by Lakers practically every championship team has drafted a HOF player to build around.  

GS- Steph

Cleveland- Lebron, Kyrie

Celtics- Pierce

Lakers- Kobe

Spurs- Duncan, Robinson

Heat- Wade

Bulls- Jordan

Rockets- Olajuwon

The Billups era Pistons are the one exception to nearly every trend, but apart from that team the standard is to draft a HOF player and build from that talent.

• Like 3