• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm beginning to realize why the fan base for the Hawks is so fractured

Peoriabird

I really think the fan base that is fractured is here and nothing will fix this but winning. Same for the casual fans but they are much more nonchalant.   It is us nit picky squawk fanatics that get all up in arms when something happens with one very non all star type player ( Lin ) who probably will not even be on our team next year. In my opinion most casual fans could give a rats ass if we traded for Lin or not. What they care about will be when the season starts and who is playing well.

The Braves, Julio, and Trae are probably the only headliners casual sports fans are even half way concerned with right now. We are the piece of work; casual fans probably did not even tune into one summer league game. I watched everyone of them as did quite a few here.

This is definitely a mild case of projecting in my opinion :laugh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

In my opinion most casual fans could give a rats ass if we traded for Lin or not. What they care about will be when the season starts and who is playing well.

The Braves, Julio, and Trae are probably the only headliners casual sports fans are even half way concerned with right now.

I was a little rough on the casual fans. This is probably the typical conversation some of them had the day they found out we had traded for Lin.

Fan 1-Did you hear? The Hawks traded for Jeremy Lin last night.

Fan 2 - Cool, last time I saw him play he looked pretty good.

Fan 1 - Yes. He is recovering from an injury right now but hopefully he will be decent again.

Fan 2- Yes I hope so. Does it really matter though? We are going to be in the lottery again.

Fan - True. Hopefully Trae Young is as good as advertised and we get another good one next draft. Hey, any news on Julio?

Now compare this to the 23 page thread https://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/427969-schlenksanity-lin-to-the-hawksfor-what/

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I was just listening to the latest podcast by Brad Rowland and Jeff Seigel and the take where just unbearable

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/7/15/17570130/locked-on-hawks-podcast-atlanta-jeremy-lin-trade-dennis-Schröder-nba-summer-league-las-vegas

Here are a few.

1) Jeremy Lin if healthy is the best player on the Hawks right now surpassing Kent Bazemore

2) John Collin's ceiling is Kenneth Faried who projects to be a career back up player

3) The Hawks have 5 centers on the roster and no power forwards

4) Tyler Dorsey is not an NBA player because he gives you nothing but shooting

5 Jock Landale was O.K. in summer league

6) Amari Spellman is a terrible prospect because he sucks on defense

7) Dennis Schröder can only be traded for a bad contract and will be a locker room cancer if his minutes are cut.

These are just some examples of comments coming from journalist covering the team who in other cities try to generate excitement and interest in the team.  If there is no interest in the team, there is no interest in their podcast which make the negative slant in their reporting even more puzzling. Nobody and I mean Nobody who has seen Collins play would think Kenneth Faried so It seems as though these 2 go out of their way to trash the Hawks and in turn some of the fans go just as negative.  I wonder what is the motivation behind Brad Rowland and Seigel to unnecessarily paint the team this way because I cannot accept that they believe some of the things that they actually repeat over and over

1) Utter nonsense.  Have they even watched Lin play since 2013?  And I guess they have no respect for the progression that Taurean Prince showed in the 2nd half of last season.  And he's definitely not the best PG on the roster, if Dennis is still on the roster.

2) LMAO @ this.  They said this after seeing Collins obviously expanding his offensive game out to the 3 point line?   The travesty with Collins last year, is that Bud didn't even use his skill set as an interior/midrange scorer.  He was simply running pick and roll.  And I truly believe that they didn't want Collins to become "too good, too quickly", to keep them alive to get top 5 pick.

3)  ???  . . .  Collins is a PF that can play center . . .  Moose is DEFINITELY a PF because he's not strong at all on the interior . . . Spellman is a PF . . . Dedmon is a C that can play PF . . . Plumlee is the only traditional C on the roster.

4) LOL . . can Dorsey shoot?  He's a fringe NBA player at best, but I wouldn't say that he isn't a NBA caliber talent.

5) Whoa . . . LMAO . . OK by what standard?  Where they simply trolling when they said this?  Did they use the Pero Antic scale of "playing OK", when evaluating Landale

6) Omari Spellman definitely showed flashes of being a good defender from what I saw, especially as a help defender.

7) This might be true, but if you're trying to trade him, why would you cut his minutes?  You'd want to showcase him as much as possible, to drive his value up.

I need to listen to this.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KB21 said:

I don't agree that Collins's ceiling is Faried.  I think his ceiling is Stoudemire.

I do agree that Bazemore was the best player on the team in 2017-2018, ,and based on Jeremy Lin in 36 games from 2016, he would have had the highest BPM on the team this past season as a healthy player.  Lin is an upgrade from Dennis if he is on the court.

I also don't agree with Brad and Jeff in that tanking was necessary.  In fact, I've had many heated arguments with both over that topic that lead to me getting banned at PTH and blocked by Jeff on twitter.

Speaking of Amare.  This new BIG3 league is good for him.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

Whether Bazemore is our first or second best player--it's a sad state of affairs for any team when the likes of a Kent Bazemore is even in discussion for being the best player on your team. it's sad that this is actually debatable. He would not even be a starter for most teams. Just sad!!! 

This is exactly what I'm talking about!  @Wurider05 actual thinks that this is a legitimate discussion when in reality it isn't. Only the Atlanta media is spreading this narrative when no one in the basketball world outside of Atlanta would ever entertain this notion

• Like 4

You guys are fkn crazy if you think Kent freakin Bazemore is the best player on the Hawks. lol. This dude is a turnover waiting to happen. Plus his shot is too inconsistent.. Hell, even his defense is overated around here if you ask me..I go by the eye test. Fk all the metrics, stats, etc.........................

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrell said:

You guys are fkn crazy if you think Kent freakin Bazemore is the best player on the Hawks. lol. This dude is a turnover waiting to happen. Plus his shot is too inconsistent.. Hell, even his defense is overated around here if you ask me..I go by the eye test. Fk all the metrics, stats, etc.........................

Saying that Kent is currently the best player on the team does not equate to Kent being a good player. 

2 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

I wonder how many hawksquawk members within a 50 mile radius attend games or are season ticket holders?   The majority of fans are casual hawk fans.  A lot of the lower level seats are corporate.  I live in the Chattanooga area and usually attend around 10 games.  Last year zero and until competitive it will be zero.  I'm not interested in spending time and $$$ watching lesser talents that cant compete.  I still have the Nique, Roundfield, Rollins days in my mind. 

I 75% agree with this.  As a person that has to drive 4.5 hours to see the Hawks, and tried to make 5 - 10 games a year myself, I'm definitely not interested to see this team lose a game, every time I go to watch them.  Last year, I got to 1/2 of a game ( thanks Atlanta United for taking up every single parking space downtown ).

I will say that I'm interested to see what the young guys do, so I will attend 1 or 2 games in November.  Or if I'm in the ATL area for whatever reason, I may swing by there to check out a game.  I've never been the type to go see the Hawks, just because they're playing a much better team.  I want to see them win . . period.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

I wonder how many hawksquawk members within a 50 mile radius attend games or are season ticket holders?   The majority of fans are casual hawk fans.  A lot of the lower level seats are corporate.  I live in the Chattanooga area and usually attend around 10 games.  Last year zero and until competitive it will be zero.  I'm not interested in spending time and $$$ watching lesser talents that cant compete.  I still have the Nique, Roundfield, Rollins days in my mind. 

Here's one. ?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I was just listening to the latest podcast by Brad Rowland and Jeff Seigel and the take where just unbearable

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/7/15/17570130/locked-on-hawks-podcast-atlanta-jeremy-lin-trade-dennis-Schröder-nba-summer-league-las-vegas

Here are a few.

1) Jeremy Lin if healthy is the best player on the Hawks right now surpassing Kent Bazemore

2) John Collin's ceiling is Kenneth Faried who projects to be a career back up player

3) The Hawks have 5 centers on the roster and no power forwards

4) Tyler Dorsey is not an NBA player because he gives you nothing but shooting

5 Jock Landale was O.K. in summer league

6) Amari Spellman is a terrible prospect because he sucks on defense

7) Dennis Schröder can only be traded for a bad contract and will be a locker room cancer if his minutes are cut.

I used to listen, can't listen to all that stuttering from Brad. I stopped listening when he heaped praise on Moose and DelaneySucks. Haven't listened to a pod since. Those guys are just fans like you and 

What's gonna happen is that all the Lin fans will here them rave about Lin and think they know what they are talking about. Crazy talk.

The fact they think Collins' ceiling is Faried when JC has already added a jumper, a 3 ball and the ability to make a play from the top of the key either for himself or teammate while Faried has NONE of that is lunancy.

The real kicker - Lanlock was OK in SL is just bat shite crazy.

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Brad and Jeff are terrible 

Jeremy Lin hasn't been healthy in 2 years and Kent and Prince is easily better right now healthy or not. 

Collins surpassed that projection as a rookie. While last season. He wasn't the perfect fit for the modern NBA, his offensive projections was higher than Shawn Kemp and close to Blake Griffin. He measures close to Karl Malone and his growth over the summer reminds you of Karl Malone year to year growth especially in terms of shooting.

Atlanta uses Moose and Dedmon at both positions and will exclusively use John as a PF. Spellman is a PF as well.

That's a terrible hot take on Dorsey. He does a great job of playing the passing lane and rebounding as well

Landale was trash. He showed some solid BBIQ and he rolled hard and screened hard but he is likely going to continue his career in a Basketball weak European country 

Spellman defense is solid, it's his conditioning that is trash.

The Dennis part is currently true for now. That's why its important for both him and us to rebuild his value similar to what we did with Bazemore. While he will still be difficult to trade with ease. If we can get an asset that would be good. Dennis has to prove to the league that he is a decent starting NBA PG. If he can prove that, he can be moved. He also has to mature. Vibe around the league on Dennis is too negative. Dennis knows that as well as his agent and he's working hard on his game. He still wants to be moved but realized no one wants him and he wants to proven doubters wrong now. We should see a much better Dennis

Yep to all this.

4 hours ago, High5 said:

I don't think 99.9% of Hawks fans have any idea who those two guys are. 

:hehe:

• Like 1

Man I freaking hate those guys. The negativity they spread around makes me wanna punch the wall. Those guys are the heftiest  Bud-d!ckriders I can recall and since BADenholzers exit they dismiss every move our fo did as wrong. 

What infuriates me just as much is that they think they're some kind of gods while answering in the comment-section, being as impolite and assholeish as it gets. 

F""king hate those guys

• Like 4

To be fair, I skipped around the hear the part about Collins and it wasn't that bad. He said he thought of Collins as a better version of Faried back when Faried was good, but also that he has the drive to surpass that. Not quite "his ceiling is Faried." @Peoriabird clearly isn't a fan of those guys so maybe his cliff notes are a little skewed overall.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, High5 said:

To be fair, I skipped around the hear the part about Collins and it wasn't that bad. He said he thought of Collins as a better version of Faried back when Faried was good, but also that he has the drive to surpass that. Not quite "his ceiling is Faried." @Peoriabird clearly isn't a fan of those guys so maybe his cliff notes are a little skewed overall.

Faried was just an energy guy PnR guy and rebounder at his best.  Collins surpassed that last year by showing some skill with his passing.

Faried never took the next step after showing out on team USA which he parlayed into a big contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Saying that Kent is currently the best player on the team does not equate to Kent being a good player. 

But he's not the best player on the Hawks...............................................Would you pick Baze 1st if you were playing a pickup game? Me either. lol

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, terrell said:

But he's not the best player on the Hawks...............................................Would you pick Baze 1st if you were playing a pickup game? Me either. lol

Exactly.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I was just listening....

Oh, the fan base isn't fractured........Just different views on treadmilling, the draft, the players, team direction, management, ownership etc......if we all thought the same and agreed....it would be boring like hearing the same thing over and over.

• Like 1