• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Analyzing Schlenk

sillent

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I've got my personal bias where I'd love to see AD but that type of deal could be done for any high priced vet that becomes available.

Danny Ainge is the master of it. You have to be prepared to pounce when an opportunity presents itself. I think we are getting there,

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Danny Ainge is the master of it. You have to be prepared to pounce when an opportunity presents itself. I think we are getting there,

Ainge has made some brilliant draft day trades but really hasn't traded for a single great vet.  I do kind of wonder if this era of the Celtics may pass without a title and people will wonder what could have been had he given up Jaylen Brown for Kawhi Leonard or something like that.  He may be a little too unwilling to try to go big.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, AHF said:

You could get a guy on a long-term deal that has friction with his current team by combining Baze, picks / young players and cap space.  Let's theoretically say that Anthony Davis gets fed up with NOP this time next year.  Suddenly, they are looking at an expiring contract with AD being an UFA (his last year is a player option) and now you send Baze, Spellman, $3M, our lottery pick and another first and take back AD and Omer Asik.  That gives them picks, a young player, >$10M in cap relief / lowered expense, etc. and only eats up ~$11M of our cap space ($3M for cutting Asik and AD's salary - Baze / Spell).  That leaves you room to add a maximum salary to Young, Huerter, Prince, Collins and AD.

Asik is in Chicago. Traded in the Mirotic deal.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Asik is in Chicago. Traded in the Mirotic deal.

You are correct.  I just arbitrarily added him as someone NO would want to ditch so replace him with the loser of your choice.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ainge has made some brilliant draft day trades but really hasn't traded for a single great vet.  I do kind of wonder if this era of the Celtics may pass without a title and people will wonder what could have been had he given up Jaylen Brown for Kawhi Leonard or something like that.  He may be a little too unwilling to try to go big.

He is ready though. What he did with KG could be done again with another vet. I think he has more valuable pieces now than he did then. It will be entertaining to see if Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Tatum and his other good young players is enough to topple GSW. On paper that is a hell of a lineup.

• Like 1

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

He is ready though. What he did with KG could be done again with another vet. I think he has more valuable pieces now than he did then. It will be entertaining to see if Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Tatum and his other good young players is enough to topple GSW. On paper that is a hell of a lineup.

I don't think that lineup is close to GS but Tatum and Brown are still emerging and could really shift the calculus.  

• Premium Member

Only time will tell. As most have already noted, at the very least he seems to be trying to follow the Golden State model and being consistent to that vision. What it will all come down to, as it so often does, is whether the guys he has acquired turn out to be any good. 

• Like 1

Just now, AHF said:

I don't think that lineup is close to GS but Tatum and Brown are still emerging and could really shift the calculus.  

And that is pretty much what I am talking about. I like Tatum more than Brown for stardom and cap is not going to get easier for them either. Brown and Horford are soon to be looking at new deals. Ainge was rumored to be wanting to move Brown and not Tatum to move up for a big ( Bamba supposedly ) in this years draft.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

And that is pretty much what I am talking about. I like Tatum more than Brown for stardom and cap is not going to get easier for them either. Brown and Horford are soon to be looking at new deals. Ainge was rumored to be wanting to move Brown and not Tatum to move up for a big ( Bamba supposedly ) in this years draft.

Just saying that you look at NBA champs and see a bunch of MVPs.  Curry, Durant, LeBron, Duncan, Dirk, Shaq, Kobe, KG, Jordan, etc.  Not many teams without an MVP on the roster.  Leonard if healthy is an MVP contender (finished 2nd and 3rd recently).  Nobody on Boston's roster today will ever win an MVP or be close to one.

If it costs you Jaylen Brown to add Leonard, I'd have a hard time not pulling the trigger on that unless you conclude his health is a serious issue.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Just saying that you look at NBA champs and see a bunch of MVPs.  Curry, Durant, LeBron, Duncan, Dirk, Shaq, Kobe, KG, Jordan, etc.  Not many teams without an MVP on the roster.  Leonard if healthy is an MVP contender (finished 2nd and 3rd recently).  Nobody on Boston's roster today will ever win an MVP or be close to one.

If it costs you Jaylen Brown to add Leonard, I'd have a hard time not pulling the trigger on that unless you conclude his health is a serious issue.

Kyrie was in the talk last year until his injury. No one expected that much from Boston after Hayward was injured. Kyrie, Tatum, and Horford could have shocked the world and beat the Cavs in my opinion. Are they ready for GSW? They are still a little young but I don't think they are far off at all.

• Moderators
Just now, Buzzard said:

Kyrie was in the talk last year until his injury. No one expected that much from Boston after Hayward was injured. Kyrie, Tatum, and Horford could have shocked the world and beat the Cavs in my opinion. Are they ready for GSW? They are still a little young but I don't think they are far off at all.

I don't remember Kyrie being in the discussion at all (outside of the Boston media who are such homers they thought Antoine Walker should have been MVP).   They should be the class of the East this season.  Here is hoping they fall apart.  :diablo:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I don't remember Kyrie being in the discussion at all (outside of the Boston media who are such homers they thought Antoine Walker should have been MVP).   They should be the class of the East this season.  Here is hoping they fall apart.  :diablo:

I don't like Ainge at all but I was rooting for Boston to upset the Cavs, Seeing the same teams in the finals every year is getting old. I enjoyed the playoffs more than the finals to be honest.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I don't like Ainge at all but I was rooting for Boston to upset the Cavs, Seeing the same teams in the finals every year is getting old. I enjoyed the playoffs more than the finals to be honest.

It was a tough fight to see who was going to get absolutely destroyed by the Warriors.  The dysfunctional team with the superstar or the balanced team missing some key pieces?  

Either one would end up looking like this:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

It was a tough fight to see who was going to get absolutely destroyed by the Warriors.  The dysfunctional team with the superstar or the balanced team missing some key pieces?  

Either one would end up looking like this:

No more likes but that is a good one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, frosgrim said:

I'm not sure moving Baze this year makes a whole lot of sense. The team still needs some degree of vet leadership and Baze can provide that.  His path into the NBA suggests he knows what it takes in terms of commitment to be a successful player,  even with limited talent. I'd love to see some of his attitude, work ethic, and team-centered play rub off on all the young guys. His contract is what it is, but its not blocking anything for us in terms of signing a key guy.  

I just don't want to see anymore clumsy or (fake) heroic plays this year out of him. If he plays within himself and bottle his energy while eliminating the clumsy plays he'd be great to keep around.

• Like 1

Baze is still a positive defensively too. I’d be disappointed if we traded him at this point. He’s a good influence to have in the locker room. To trade Baze sends a signal that we are really in tank mode instead of rebuild mode.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AHF said:

You could get a guy on a long-term deal that has friction with his current team by combining Baze, picks / young players and cap space.  Let's theoretically say that Anthony Davis gets fed up with NOP this time next year.  Suddenly, they are looking at an expiring contract with AD being an UFA (his last year is a player option) and now you send Baze, Spellman, $3M, our lottery pick and another first and take back AD and Omer Asik.  That gives them picks, a young player, >$10M in cap relief / lowered expense, etc. and only eats up ~$11M of our cap space ($3M for cutting Asik and AD's salary - Baze / Spell).  That leaves you room to add a maximum salary to Young, Huerter, Prince, Collins and AD.

Although I like Spellman that would be a move I couldn't pass up.

8 hours ago, Watchman said:

If Slinky didn't draft 'em, sign 'em or trade for 'em, he doesn't like or want them.

"Slinky" has personally said he liked the Prince pick Budcox made & that the Warriors were actually looking at him themselves until we traded up (Teague = 12th pick) to get him. I don't know about Bembry but hopefully he gets & stays healthy and shows us all something special next year and from then on out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I want to agree I just need to see more samples in head to head match ups

I think Schlenk's grade keeps going up; while signing another decent player in Len is proof he wants us to compete, Now does that mean playoffs? No, but we have added players who know the NBA game in Lin, Anderson, and Len.

This is most definitely not the Philly model of filling out a roster with rookie contracts and Dleague players just to meet NBA minimum roster size. Another quality signing in Len for depth; and I am starting to think this team could be better than last years. Not just in talent, which I think is obvious, but also in wins. The wins being very hard to come by for a such a young team.

Go Hawks !!!

• Like 3