• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Analyzing Schlenk

sillent

1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

One thing I have to say I like about Schlenk is he has a real vision of what he wants to build here in Atlanta. Sund and Budcox didn’t have appear to have a clear vision for this team. Now it comes down to execution. That is what will separate him from BK who also had vision (lol).

What is Schlenk's "clear vision"?

Tearing down the team is the easy part.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

What is Schlenk's "clear vision"?

Tearing down the team is the easy part.

Building a team of high IQ and/or skilled basketball players who can shoot, pass, and handle. Putting a defensive coach in place that can help minimize their defensive weaknesses. That’s just what I can glean from the outside looking in. This is looking like a team that will excel with moving the ball, creating space, and attacking whatever opportunities come from that.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Building a team of high IQ and/or skilled basketball players who can shoot, pass, and handle. Putting a defensive coach in place that can help minimize their defensive weaknesses. That’s just what I can glean from the outside looking in. This is looking like a team that will excel with moving the ball, creating space, and attacking whatever opportunities come from that.

If they all reach their potential, I'll give you that.  I'd like for a few quality vets who have been on good teams, to help shoulder the load until they're ready to blossom.  If Schlenk keeps the team too young, we're destined to look a lot like Phoenix for the next 4 years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If they all reach their potential, I'll give you that.  I'd like for a few quality vets who have been on good teams, to help shoulder the load until they're ready to blossom.  If Schlenk keeps the team too young, we're destined to look a lot like Phoenix for the next 4 years.

I agree with the last part 100%. I think we should be trying to get back into the playoffs the 2019-2020 season. I wish we could get a player like Joakim Noah here. He’s (or at least was) a winning player, great defender, and underrated passer. He’s had a bad run in NY, but I still think he could help this team win ball games and shift to the bench as our talent level improves.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Whether they all reach their potential or not, it seems to be the clear vision he is striving towards.  Skilled players who can shoot and move the ball.  Can’t wait to see what Young, Huerter, Collins and Spellman turn into and who we add the next couple years.  We will be intentionally terrible by design this season — plenty of minutes for our young guys and great position in the draft again this year.  Whether our guys develop this season will likely dictate if we design our team to be in the lottery again next year or if we are going to actually shoot for improving our record.  In the meantime, it should be all about developing our young talent.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

My worst fear.

• Like 1

After the Dennis and Moose move Schlenk should top it off by getting rid of Baze. If we can get a 6'7 - 6'9 sf (wing that can 3, D & play make that should cap off our roster. Would love to see Junior Robinson make it & possibly Zach Smith as a long shot to develop. 

12 hours ago, sillent said:

After the Dennis and Moose move Schlenk should top it off by getting rid of Baze. If we can get a 6'7 - 6'9 sf (wing that can 3, D & play make that should cap off our roster. Would love to see Junior Robinson make it & possibly Zach Smith as a long shot to develop. 

I'm not sure moving Baze this year makes a whole lot of sense. The team still needs some degree of vet leadership and Baze can provide that.  His path into the NBA suggests he knows what it takes in terms of commitment to be a successful player,  even with limited talent. I'd love to see some of his attitude, work ethic, and team-centered play rub off on all the young guys. His contract is what it is, but its not blocking anything for us in terms of signing a key guy.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

I'm not sure moving Baze this year makes a whole lot of sense. The team still needs some degree of vet leadership and Baze can provide that.  His path into the NBA suggests he knows what it takes in terms of commitment to be a successful player,  even with limited talent. I'd love to see some of his attitude, work ethic, and team-centered play rub off on all the young guys. His contract is what it is, but its not blocking anything for us in terms of signing a key guy.  

It is only one year after this season so I agree that there is no burning need to get rid of him.  He could be a valuable expiring piece next offseason.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

It is only one year after this season so I agree that there is no burning need to get rid of him.  He could be a valuable expiring piece next offseason.

and you could send out Plumlee with Baze for, what ~30 mil in salary. Add one/some of our 1st rounders and you start looking at a KG or Ray Allen-like trade. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

I would like to think TraderTrav is not done yet; but moving Bazemore this year might be to much to ask of him, I would much rather have another 10 - 20 million in cap to start next years off season with vs Bazemore but so would every other team not named GSW. Houston, Boston, OKC, and Toronto.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Buzzard said:

I would like to think TraderTrav is not done yet; but moving Bazemore this year might be to much to ask of him, I would much rather have another 10 - 20 million in cap to start next years off season with vs Bazemore but so would every other team not named GSW. Houston, Boston, OKC, and Toronto.

You could get a guy on a long-term deal that has friction with his current team by combining Baze, picks / young players and cap space.  Let's theoretically say that Anthony Davis gets fed up with NOP this time next year.  Suddenly, they are looking at an expiring contract with AD being an UFA (his last year is a player option) and now you send Baze, Spellman, $3M, our lottery pick and another first and take back AD and Omer Asik.  That gives them picks, a young player, >$10M in cap relief / lowered expense, etc. and only eats up ~$11M of our cap space ($3M for cutting Asik and AD's salary - Baze / Spell).  That leaves you room to add a maximum salary to Young, Huerter, Prince, Collins and AD.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

You could get a guy on a long-term deal that has friction with his current team by combining Baze, picks / young players and cap space.  Let's theoretically say that Anthony Davis gets fed up with NOP this time next year.  Suddenly, they are looking at an expiring contract with AD being an UFA (his last year is a player option) and now you send Baze, Spellman, $3M, our lottery pick and another first and take back AD and Omer Asik.  That gives them picks, a young player, >$10M in cap relief / lowered expense, etc. and only eats up ~$11M of our cap space ($3M for cutting Asik and AD's salary - Baze / Spell).  That leaves you room to add a maximum salary to Young, Huerter, Prince, Collins and AD.

We will see and with the way Schlenk operates, we won't hear a solid rumor until the morning of the trade.

3 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Bazemore, Prince and Bembry are next.  Slinky is systematically getting rid of all players not drafted or acquired by him.  To the best of my recollection, these are the three guys who are left from the Bud era.

I think he will probably try to get rid of Baze at some point for sure but I don’t know about Prince and Bembry just yet. I think it’s possible we keep both of them  long term depending on how well they play of course 

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, Buzzard said:

We will see and with the way Schlenk operates, we won't hear a solid rumor until the morning of the trade.

I've got my personal bias where I'd love to see AD but that type of deal could be done for any high priced vet that becomes available.

• Like 1

Just now, JTB said:

I think he will probably try to get rid of Baze at some point for sure but I don’t know about Prince and Bembry just yet. I think it’s possible we keep both of them  long term depending on how well they play of course 

If Slinky didn't draft 'em, sign 'em or trade for 'em, he doesn't like or want them.

Just now, Watchman said:

If Slinky didn't draft 'em, sign 'em or trade for 'em, he doesn't like or want them.

Can’t say you’re wrong about that but I think there’s a CHANCE slinky keeps 2 of the 3 of those guys around