• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Analyzing Schlenk

sillent

Analyzing Schlenk I've noticed a few things. He's great at finding talent in the draft but not so good with making superb trades. He's not always honest  (see Dwight trade talk) but he's adament about what he wants to do (see drafting Stef, Klay, Draymond talk). Overall he is very smart and crafty. He is pretty good with going against the grain and finding a good meal when he chooses his players. Even in the lopsided Dwight trade we got serviceable players in Marco, Miles and Tyler Dorsey. Everything about that trade looked bad even trading back in the 2nd round but we got Tyler Dorsey and he has been a pleasant surprise. For those knocking on him we drafted him to replace Tim Hardaway Jr. at the time who was a ball hogging gunner. Dorsey fit the bill. We now have Trae, Kevin, Omari as well as John and Tyler that were picked by Schlenk. We also have Prince and Bembry playing in only their 3rd yr. For now Dennis is still here and Dedmon, Lin as well as Baze, Plumlee, Moose being serviceable vets. Schlenk is very smart and understands the value of a winning culture. He also again is very crafty with the teams finances and knows he has to eventually keep and pay alot of our youngsters. If 3 or more of our young core play into allstars and demand more $ who would we be able to keep out of Trae, Huerter, Spellman, Collins, Dorsey, Prince, Bembry and how much would be requested from each? If we add 3 more 1st rounds how much would that cost especially if they are low picks?

He could be up his bag of tricks (good/bad balanced approach) to what he expects from the team in the coming year. He could be saying he doesn't expect to win this year to not put any pressure on his young core and coach. The draft lottery will not be near as predictable as it has in the past so playing to lose may not be a winning option at all. Either way it goes Schlenk has shown to be someone that is better finding a diamond in the rough than picking the consensus best player with a top pick. If all of our players play to the best of their abilities who knows how far our team could go. The East is not as weak as it seems but with a team full of gunners that are also unselfish players we may win many of our games just by outscoring our opponents. We will definitely be different from any team in the East because we were built more like a West coast team (the best of the West at that). With Schlenk's ability to find really good players even late in the draft the pressure to have our 1st round picks being low isn't really their if our players show how good we are early. Schlenk can still find good complimentary pieces later in the draft and we could be seen as another unfair team not because of the free agents we accumulate but all the draft picks that not only pan out but that we are able to keep for years to come. Why not be the surprise team this year and the talk of the town as sleepers starting this year. We have a deep, young, hungry, humble/confident young core and if they break out now we can get them still at pretty reasonable prices as well as pitch them on a dynasty with such a young core. We keep getting top pick after top pick and losing than eventually we just see good young players come and go and become a stepping stone team for great players instead of a great team that has and keeps it's great players. Oklahoma city is/was a great example of this before keeping Paul George. They lost Jeff Green, James Harden, Serge Ibaka, Reggie Jackson, Eric Bledsoe, Kevin Durant. Imagine if they could have retained mot of their draft picks. They would be the Warriors or at least the unfair team that the Warriors are now.

All of these young players are going to need to be paid and it's best to get them long term at their cheapest value and hopes that they can grow and win together. If Travis Schlenk is smart which I know he is he will try to build around the core currently constructed so he can better retain most of them as well as the 3 players or so drafted in next years draft. If we get a top pick or two than prepare to see some of our home grown players be stars elsewhere. We'll probably see that with Dennis soon (hopefully not too soon) but I'd hate to see that as a continues trend. I'm hoping Schlenk is smarter than that and so far he has proven to be very smart even against the consensus.      

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Travis would be great as a director of scouting, but he's a terrible GM.  He made one decision when he came on board that sealed his fate with me.

If he does the right thing and allows them to grow naturally I'll still be happy with him but if we turn into OKC/76ers and fail to retain players and make the playoffs for too many years than I'll be highly dissatisfied. 

• Like 1

Time is on our side.  It must be.   Too many green, unproven 1st round picks.  But, they will grow.

One of my late fathers quotes:  "Blessed is he that expeth nothing for he shall not be disappointed!"  That shoe doesn't fit my foot.  I expect us to win some games this year!!

:laugh:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Time is on our side.  It must be.   Too many green, unproven 1st round picks.  But, they will grow.

One of my late fathers quotes:  "Blessed is he that expeth nothing for he shall not be disappointed!"  That shoe doesn't fit my foot.  I expect us to win some games this year!!

:laugh:

Then you are going to be disappointed.

Yep.  Every time the Hawks lose, I'm disappointed.  I was last season.  I will be this season.

That doesn't prevent this year's team from winning some games - - and they will.  Some people may be disappointed every time they win a game.  Oh, well.  Only time will tell.

:cool:

• Like 2

@sillent I’m also optimistic and like a majority of his moves you laid out in your long ass paragraphs.

I’m a huge positional veteran mentorship guy, especially for 1s and 5s, so in retaining Dedmon for Collins and securing Lin for Young Schlenky is showing how much he values nurturing the teams’ most valuable assets.  He seems like he has a respectable long-term plan in place, which is much more than I can say for past brass like ASG and #BudCox.

I can’t make a call on the quality of his tenure until 2022. That’s if he’s still here.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

@sillent I’m also optimistic and like a majority of his moves you laid out in your long ass paragraphs.

I’m a huge positional veteran mentorship guy, especially for 1s and 5s, so in retaining Dedmon for Collins and securing Lin for Young Schlenky is showing how much he values nurturing the teams’ most valuable assets.  He seems like he has a respectable long-term plan in place, which is much more than I can say for past brass like ASG and #BudCox.

I can’t make a call on the quality of his tenure until 2022. That’s if he’s still here.

Sorry for the length of my post/paragraphs. They look shorter when I'm typing them. lol 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I'm nervous about having so many young guys whose contracts will all be up around the same couple years. I think Philly will get burned, and I worry we will too when it comes time to re-up off rookie contracts.

Especially if we keep adding lottery pick rookies. Right now it may be feasable but in 2/3 yrs the prices may be rising. If we are winning they may take cuts to stay together but if we're still losing we'll watch our rising stars slowly but surely become real stars elsewhere.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sillent said:

Especially if we keep adding lottery pick rookies. Right now it may be feasable but in 2/3 yrs the prices may be rising. If we are winning they may take cuts to stay together but if we're still losing we'll watch our rising stars slowly but surely become real stars elsewhere.

This is also why I think we should make a playoff push 2020-2021. Guys like Prince and Collins could bolt after 4 losing seasons.

• Like 3

This is also why I think we should make a playoff push 2020-2021. Guys like Prince and Collins could bolt after 4 losing seasons.

Unless there's a major change in the CBA, it's very unlikely they leave after 4 years unless we choose not to pay them. The qualifying offer is rarely taken when there is a multi-year contract with big money on the table.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sillent said:

Bud the Vice President is puzzling since he came from the Spurs who were notoriously good at getting their great players to take less. He could not even get our average players signed for less; and if he saw D12, Bazemore, and Dennis as part of a championship core, I have to question his ability to judge talent and fit.

Ressler has proven he will pay if his leader says we need them. Sap ( 1st contract ), D12, Bazemore, and Dennis are proof of that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nathan2331 said:
13 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Unless there's a major change in the CBA, it's very unlikely they leave after 4 years unless we choose not to pay them. The qualifying offer is rarely taken when there is a multi-year contract with big money on the table.

You are right, but I don’t want to take any chances and I would also prefer to look like a good FA destination before we have to resign them. That way we can be players in free agency.

• Like 1

One thing I have to say I like about Schlenk is he has a real vision of what he wants to build here in Atlanta. Sund and Budcox didn’t have appear to have a clear vision for this team. Now it comes down to execution. That is what will separate him from BK who also had vision (lol).

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

One thing I have to say I like about Schlenk is he has a real vision of what he wants to build here in Atlanta. Sund and Budcox didn’t have appear to have a clear vision for this team. Now it comes down to execution. That is what will separate him from BK who also had vision (lol).

BKs vision was almost the opposite, It was if he was allergic to shooters and just wanted tall ( 6'8" - 6'9" ) athletes.

• Like 2