• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Young, first round picks on Hawks roster

Gray Mule

3 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

KB21 believes these players can't - wont.  I believe that they can - will.

Truthfully, these young Hawks are likely to be somewhere between the two of us.  Both of us believe that this Hawk team will play some exciting ball.

Dream won their game today and the Braves just won their game.  Atlanta sports are looking good right now! 

I believe that our Hawks are high IQ players, athletic enough to use this IQ to win some games.  I know.  I expect a lot out of them and Lloyd Pierce.  He may not be the "dumb as a box of rocks" clutz.  We will see.

GO ATLANTA !!

When has a team that has had this much youth that will be playing, AND absolutely zero impact veterans won anything?

KB21 - Never.  But, there's always a first time for everything.  We agree that this is unexplored territory.  The Hawks will not be great.  The thing is, there are several NBA teams that are not going to be great either.  They must play, and attempt to put a whoopin on these Hawks. 

Atlanta does have some veterans on this team - - Maybe young veterans but much more experience than our three draft picks. 

Hawks will have much better bench than they had at the end of last season in my opinion.  Note:  Opinions are like noses.  Every one has one and no two are exactly alike.  Explosive offense - Poor defense.  But, they will grow and learn.

33 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

KB21 believes these players can't - wont.  I believe that they can - will.

Truthfully, these young Hawks are likely to be somewhere between the two of us.  Both of us believe that this Hawk team will play some exciting ball.

Dream won their game today and the Braves just won their game.  Atlanta sports are looking good right now! 

I believe that our Hawks are high IQ players, athletic enough to use this IQ to win some games.  I know.  I expect a lot out of them and Lloyd Pierce.  He may not be the "dumb as a box of rocks" clutz.  We will see.

GO ATLANTA !!

Agreed!!

45 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Travis sabotaged himself with his decision to tank from the very beginning.  

Actually that's usually what new GM's are brought in for in any business. To rebuild/restructure the business model. If everything was all good there would be no need for a new GM. Most companies/teams expect their new GM to do that and they can do it with less of a conscious and remorse because they're new and haven't built relationships with the current staff yet. I'm starting to think your comments come from youth. Hoping it's youth instead of hate because hate clouds the mind of rationale thought.

29 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

KB21 - Never.  But, there's always a first time for everything.  We agree that this is unexplored territory.  The Hawks will not be great.  The thing is, there are several NBA teams that are not going to be great either.  They must play, and attempt to put a whoopin on these Hawks. 

Atlanta does have some veterans on this team - - Maybe young veterans but much more experience than our three draft picks. 

Hawks will have much better bench than they had at the end of last season in my opinion.  Note:  Opinions are like noses.  Every one has one and no two are exactly alike.  Explosive offense - Poor defense.  But, they will grow and learn.

Ran out of likes but again agreed. I actually don't think the defense will be as poor as expected either. Atleast not once coach Pierce is able to implement some schemes. I got a feeling we are going to see just how important he was to the 76ers defensive success. Besides Embid and Anderson they didn't really have many great defenders on their squad. We do have Dedmon, Prince (time for him to bring back the defense), Bembry, Justin Anderson, Len, and possibly Baze to help out with that now. Out of those players we have someone who can guard at every position and whether starting or from the bench. Spellman may surprise like Collins so we actually don't look as bad there as we originally did.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sillent said:

Actually that's usually what new GM's are brought in for in any business. To rebuild/restructure the business model. If everything was all good there would be no need for a new GM. Most companies/teams expect their new GM to do that and they can do it with less of a conscious and remorse because they're new and haven't built relationships with the current staff yet. I'm starting to think your comments come from youth. Hoping it's youth instead of hate because hate clouds the mind of rationale thought.

Ran out of likes but again agreed. I actually don't think the defense will be as poor as expected either. Atleast not once coach Pierce is able to implement some schemes. I got a feeling we are going to see just how important he was to the 76ers defensive success. Besides Embid and Anderson they didn't really have many great defenders on their squad. We do have Dedmon, Prince (time for him to bring back the defense), Bembry, Justin Anderson, Len, and possibly Baze to help out with that now. Out of those players we have someone who can guard at every position and whether starting or from the bench. Spellman may surprise like Collins so we actually don't look as bad there as we originally did.

New GMs aren't brought in to put a structure into place that calls for intentional losing.   There is a clear difference in rebuilding/restructuring and outright tanking, which is what the Hawks are doing.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

And Spellman needs some work on his muscle definition - his arms have some 'baby fat'

They are all three big-time candidates for "man, can you believe how they looked as rookies?"

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KB21 said:

Here's the thing.  How many of these young players will be with the Hawks when they are good again?

Justin Anderson - Unlikely

Alex Len - Maybe

Taurean Prince - Maybe

DeAndre Bembry - Unlikely

John Collins - Yes

Tyler Dorsey - No

Trae Young - Yes

Kevin Huerter - Yes

Omari Spellman - Maybe

Mark the tape...I want to see how this prognostication turns out in 2 years.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KB21 said:

Here's the thing.  How many of these young players will be with the Hawks when they are good again?

Justin Anderson - Unlikely

Alex Len - Maybe

Taurean Prince - Maybe

DeAndre Bembry - Unlikely

John Collins - Yes

Tyler Dorsey - No

Trae Young - Yes

Kevin Huerter - Yes

Omari Spellman - Maybe

So if this were a Spades hand, that's 3 and 3 possibles.

Image result for spades hand 3 and a possible

16 hours ago, KB21 said:

When has a team that has had this much youth that will be playing, AND absolutely zero impact veterans won anything?

Denver 1994 is the closest thing to what you're talking about

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DEN/1994.html

But even they had 27 year old Dikembe and 29 year old Reggie Williams as key starters.

On this team, Lin and Plumlee will be 30 by the time the season starts.  Baze and Dedmon will be 29.

Everybody else is 25 and under.

10 hours ago, nathan2331 said:
11 hours ago, KB21 said:
They won't be good in 2 years.

Pierce would have to be one of the worst coaches in NBA history for that to happen. I don't know how good he'll be, but there is no reason to expect our players not to develop, unless you just want to hate everything you don't agree with.

That's not true.  Pierce could be a dang good coach, and the team could still be losing.   Minnesota, even with KAT and Wiggins, wasn't good in KAT's 2nd year.   Thibs only won 2 more games than Sam Mitchell did in that season ( from 29 to 31 wins ).  It took Minnesota trading for Jimmy  Butler, to become good again.

If we're not good in 2 years, that's much more of an indictment on Schlenk, than it will be on Pierce.  This team does not look good AT ALL to be a good defensive team.  Even if they're top 15 in offense, they could be atrocious on the defensive end.