• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2019 Hawksquawk Dynasty Draft - Picks and Discussion

AHF

29 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

😆 wait u got all 3? Wow. 

The goal for the fun of it was to get all five, or as many as I could, of the top five 2018 picks. You put a damper on that. I think we already had this conversation @Spud2nique lol

Edited by Buzzard
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

All aboard! The Draft Train gets to leave @AHF Station no later than 12:40 PM Eastern, after which time @pimp will be free do the conducting!

~lw3

The only train that i'm qualified to conduct is the Soul Train, but i'll do my best when the time comes.
original

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Busy morning so apologies for holding up the train, even if it comes with the funkiest of beats.

Over the years Ashley and my relationship with Duke has been up and down.  There have been some rough times and some good times.

shep.jpg 

But is there a better outcome than turning a former Dukie back to the light?  We don't think so.  And we've flagged a promising young man from Raleigh-Durham for our next pick.  We think this point in the draft is a little tricky but that this player gives us:

• A very nice floor with his proven production in his age 19 rookie season with some per36 15 pt, 10 rb, 2.5 ast, 2 blk
  • A very nice ceiling with his high skill level and chiseled physique 
  • And some critical versatility with his ability to effectively play both PF and C

2016-0311-Kentucky-Wildcats-fan-Ashley-J

At this point in the draft, if you can't reach out and try to rehabilitate a victim of K syndrome are you really doing your best for your fellow man?

With the 74th pick in the draft, Ashley and I are happy to welcome:

Wendell "The Block Panther" Carter Jr.

carter_jr._story.jpg

giphy.gif

Keep working those moves, Wendell!

@pimp is finally up

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

Busy morning so apologies for holding up the train, even if it comes with the funkiest of beats.

Over the years Ashley and my relationship with Duke has been up and down.  There have been some rough times and some good times.

shep.jpg 

But is there a better outcome than turning a former Dukie back to the light?  We don't think so.  And we've flagged a promising young man from Raleigh-Durham for our next pick.  We think this point in the draft is a little tricky but that this player gives us:

• A very nice floor with his proven production in his age 19 rookie season with some per36 15 pt, 10 rb, 2.5 ast, 2 blk
  • A very nice ceiling with his high skill level and chiseled physique 
  • And some critical versatility with his ability to effectively play both PF and C

2016-0311-Kentucky-Wildcats-fan-Ashley-J

At this point in the draft, if you can't reach out and try to rehabilitate a victim of K syndrome are you really doing your best for your fellow man?

With the 74th pick in the draft, Ashley and I are happy to welcome:

Wendell "The Block Panther" Carter Jr.

carter_jr._story.jpg

giphy.gif

Keep working those moves, Wendell!

@pimp is finally up

There’s a guy I know...u may have heard of him Jambrado Jamaalo..I dunno but he wants Wendell’s Swahili robe 👘 when you guys are done.

Nice pick he’s a solid fundy big.

• Like 1

With Kevin Durant out due to injury, we need a replacement scorer for him until he is healthy.
We also need that guy to fit nicely as a bench scorer when KD does return. 
I think i found our guy...

11295697.jpgWith the next pick, the Atlanta Air Force selects 
DeMar DeRozan
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTdj1r0DgvvG3BplyLnGA

21.2 pts - 6.0 reb - 6.2 ast 
One of the best mid-ranger scorers in the league, who's probably was still on the board due to his lack of 3 point shooting. That's fine with me. We don't need him to shoot the 3.
We need someone that can come of the bench , and score from mid-range drive, and draw and kick  .We have plenty of 3 point shooters around DeMar, and his 6.2 apg has our shooters drooling.
giphy.gif
Lillard
Durant - Hield
Leonard - DeRozan
Porzingis
Drummond - Harrell

@IheartVolt

• Like 3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Nice pick he’s a solid fundy big.

I don't think he'll ever be in MVP discussions but he feels like a lock to be somewhere between key rotation player and borderline All-Star for the next decade.

• Like 2

The Flaming Flamingo's are looking for a seasoned floor general to lead our second unit. While many know this guy is on the downside of his career, we believe he will be perfect for spelling Curry and leading the second unit. Who knows what this guy could do in Coach Buds system.

Without further delay, The Flaming Flamingo's select Chris Paul to back up our PFG position. 

PG-Curry/Paul

SG-Mitchell

SF-Tobias

PF-Collins/Favors

C-LA

Coach Bud

@lethalweapon3 is up next

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IheartVolt said:

Paul will obviously not play PF... Where did my edit button go? 🙊

I don't know what the time limit is; but for us non paying members it goes away after a short period. We only have so many minutes to fix our post.

• Haha 1

• Moderators

With the 77th Pick in the Eighth Round of the 2019 Hawksquawk Summer Dynasty Draft, Lethal Nas X selects:

Brogdon-750x500.jpg

Ladies and gentleman, presenting, The President of the Summer Dynasty League. Namely, The Honorable Malcolm Moses Adams Brogdon (Point Guard/Shooting Guard, 6’5”, 230 lbs., Age 26 as of 10/1/2019), whose value is way more than a Buck these days, especially when he’s healthy. Please, Mister President, try not to pull a Chevy Chase coming down from Air Force One.

Feet, don’t fail us now! Malcolm Brogdon got in just enough games to qualify as the latest and most unheralded member of the Summer Dynasty League’s elusive, exclusive “50-40-90” club (50+ FG%, 40+ 3FG%, 90+ FT%). He's one of nine players all-time and just three among currently active players to be recognized for this unique achievement of marksmanship.

He punched his ticket to Da Club while also leading the entire SDL with a sterling 92.8 FT% and hitting threes at a career-best 42.6 percent clip. He became as close to an automatic bucket, at three levels, this league will find, while also being one of just 11 guards to earn at least one 1st Team and one 2nd Team vote for the end-of-season All-Defense honor. All while winning 50 of 64 games for a team that finished 2018-19 with a league-high 60 wins.

The problem for Brogdon is that while we have seen a lot of Presidential material, we’ve yet to see a complete season, in terms of health. 2012’s Mr. Georgia Basketball broke his foot while playing as a freshman at UVa. Ever since then, concerns about his shaky wheels gave scouts pause about his long-term utility at the pro stage.

Malcolm was not only, like new teammate De’Andre Hunter, named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year and NABC Defensive Player of the Year after his final season in Charlottesville, he was the first player in the conference’s long history to simultaneously win ACC (no adjectives) Player of the Year, too. Yet the whispers about the ticking time bombs extending below his waist caused the consensus 2016 first-team All-American to fall all the way to 36th in the second round of the 2016 Entry Draft.

If Hunter wants to learn what it takes to win Rookie of the Year in this league, he needs only ask this fellow Cavalier alum. In 2017, he became the first player in over 50 years to win the honor after being drafted in the second round.

Quite consistent with the 50-40-90 Club honor, Brogdon averaged the fewest points, and minutes, per game of any Rookie award winner. He didn’t even win a Rookie of the Month. But he did play 75 games, and that was enough in that season to outshine the runner-up who only appeared in 31 that season, a player with a similar history of lower-extremity concerns… LNX center Joel Embiid.

Malcolm’s sophomore season got interrupted by a torn quad, causing him to miss most of his Brewtown ballers’ post-All-Star-Break schedule. Then came the plantar fascia tear in his right foot last March, just as it seemed his team would run soon away with the Eastern Conference title. On both occasions, one could argue he rushed back too soon, and produced uneven performances in the playoffs.

There’s no telling how much further Brogdon’s prior team might have advanced if he were close to 100 percent health entering the postseason. By the same token, his exceptionality as an efficient scorer, play-setter and on-ball defender when he does play always seems too hard for observers, or opponents, to ignore.

Malcolm is expected to play a large share of minutes as a PG under LNX head coach Nick Nurse, who got plenty of time scouting him, along with Jimmy Butler and Embiid, during the 2019 Playoffs. But with his considerable size for a guard, LNX will be more inclined to play him as a backup SG and small-ball SF, positions he can handle more firmly once Shai Gilgeous-Alexander grows to the point Kemba Walker can join Brogdon as a sixth man.

As per bball-ref, Brogdon’s positional split at the PG spot dropped from 54% of playing time (SG 44%), in his award-winning rookie season, to 39% (SG 57%) in 2017-18, to just 9% (SG 84%) last season, as his team deferred point guard duties to more established veterans.  His On-Off effect dovetailed from plus-5.1 (per 100 possessions) to minus-2.1 between his rookie and sophomore seasons, but it rebounded to +4.9 last season.

About one-third of Brogdon’s time in the 2019 Playoffs was spent playing at SF, leading to some tough matchups versus Nurse’s title-bound squad, and no time at all playing PG as his team dropped four straight games. Still, his postseason On-Off of +7.4, second-best on his team, was impressive.

No matter where he plays, Brogdon is going to have to condition his 230-pound body to perform at a lighter weight, taking pressure off those lower limbs and improving his shot at longevity in this league. Here’s hoping that with LNX, when it really counts, Brogdon can finally put his best feet forward!

@capstone21 is an award-winning Pixar movie about a curmudgeonly 78-year-old balloon salesman on an intrepid dream excursion to South America with an unexpected stowaway. That is to say, Cap is Up!

~lw3

• Like 4

@LucastheThird hurt my feelings taking Covington, by far the highest rated SF left on my board @JayBirdHawk @Spud2nique @LucastheThird @pimp and  @AHF took my favorite young backup bigs. Brogdon was on my radar way back at 60/61. There are still some players left I have targeted in the top 100 but my pickings are getting slim.

Nothing against the old guys that have been taken but my players don't play pinball. They play a PlayStation.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3