• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves/Nats on BSPN

Spud2nique

• Premium Member

The debate this morning is whether Davey recognizes how potent his line-up is, and whether it was the right decision to begin having position players pitch when we were down 7.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

lol ... I saw this during the game, this was the Reds fan reaction after his team walked in a run, the 4th walk in the inning. I wonder how that Reds fan reacted when Acuna hit the GW walkoff single in the 10th? lmao

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, turnermx said:

lol ... I saw this during the game, this was the Reds fan reaction after his team walked in a run, the 4th walk in the inning. I wonder how that Reds fan reacted when Acuna hit the GW walkoff single in the 10th? lmao

Haha that kid was awesome. He’s like... 😐... Ya, the Reds fan was probably losing his mind. Feels like a special year for us. I haven’t had this much fun and hopefully outlook on the Braves and Hawks in ...maybe ever. Mid 90’s when I was youngster 😆 

GO BRAVES! #chopon

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Kevin Gausman left town with the Reds.  Braves waived him and the Reds claimed him.

Wonder who gets the callup to replace him?

:smug:

I was never a fan anyways Gramps. Usually am a fan of most of our guys, not sure why he rubbed me wrong not by actions but rather existence lol.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

It's a tough slog, and we're always only a key injury away from hitting a wall. I really don't know how we survived these last 2-3 weeks w/o Max, and having to rely on a couple of players that most Nats fans had long-since given-up on, ie, Fedde and Ross. Fangraphs likes our chances of somehow someway making it to post season... 85%... whether that's catching the Barves or filling a WC slot. If the former, I really like our chances to have a death match series vs LAD. If the latter, it's a coin flip whether we can get past that WC qualifier; but if so, and if healthy, the Max/Stras/Corbin combo is as potent as any in the game, including LA and HOU.

22 minutes ago, sturt said:

It's a tough slog, and we're always only a key injury away from hitting a wall. I really don't know how we survived these last 2-3 weeks w/o Max, and having to rely on a couple of players that most Nats fans had long-since given-up on, ie, Fedde and Ross. Fangraphs likes our chances of somehow someway making it to post season... 85%... whether that's catching the Barves or filling a WC slot. If the former, I really like our chances to have a death match series vs LAD. If the latter, it's a coin flip whether we can get past that WC qualifier; but if so, and if healthy, the Max/Stras/Corbin combo is as potent as any in the game, including LA and HOU.

Ya I don’t like the way ur winning as a Braves fan. You are having some of those gritty 2-1 wins which shows a lot of heart and character in ur club. Max and Straus are ballin out. Jury out on Corbin.

36 minutes ago, sturt said:

Max/Stras/Corbin combo is as potent as any in the game, including LA and HOU.

I don’t agree here at all. 

Dodgers top 3 pitchers are a combined 35-7....that’s insane.

Houston’s top 3, 41-13.

Nats top 3: 33-15

Braves: 31-14

Dodgers and Stros are scary. Still another 40 or so left...

• Premium Member

You understand, of course, that W/L records are a product of more than just starting pitching. So, fun to look at, but not precise enough a stat to really assess what one might anticipate out of the 3 post season starters for a given team.

Let's look at WHIP and ERA, which are the two stats that most seem to gravitate towards as painting a strong picture of a pitcher's success.

2019-08-17_1218.png

Ryu statistically has the edge on Scherzer, but Scherzer is a first ballot HoFer having as good a year as he ever has and experience tends to count for something in the post season.

Kershaw has the edge on Strasburg now, but up until very recently Stras was getting Cy Young talk. Kershaw is more accomplished, but arguably Strasburg is more hungry. No one would be surprised to see either one win a game over the other.

So, those are indeed "death match" caliber games that are potentially historically significant if we get to see them.

Buehler has the edge on Corbin, but again, that's two pitchers that are essentially equals... a third death match caliber game, but between two who aren't the marquee names, at least not yet.

The other mitigating factor worth considering is that LAD plays in a somewhat weaker division than WAS by almost any way one would choose to measure it... so that's going to show up in ERA and WHIP among other things.

My words were "as potent as any in the game"... and I stand by that where LAD is concerned.

HOU is somewhat more intimidating. Verlander versus Scherzer would be a dream death match, with two old Tigers who are HoF locks going head-to-head in a World Series Game 1. Cole has a decided edge on Stras. But Greinke? He's a name brand of course, and has had a solid season overall... but he's not been immune from the 5 earned run game of late, having had two in the last month, one of them with his new team. That sounds a lot like the season that Corbin has had.

HOU's starters would be favored in all three games, given what we know right now... so you're right, WAS is not "as" potent... but it's not beyond the realm of belief that in these last six weeks, the WAS starters make some gains on that and could draw even. Verlander is Verlander, but Cole hasn't always been this good for this long, and Greinke like I said has shown signs that he's susceptible to a bad game every 5th outing or so.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Scherzer is a first ballot HoFer having as good a year as he ever has and experience tends to count for something in the post season.

If you are going to say this then you can’t discount Greinke either imo.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

But Greinke? He's a name brand of course, and has had a solid season overall... but he's not been immune from the 5 earned run game of late, having had two in the last month, one of them with his new team. That sounds a lot like the season that Corbin has had.

Hmmm 🤔 that’s where you lost me. Max is a household name and so is Greinke. Why does Max get a pass here in ur column? Seems like a little Nats bias comes into play.

• Premium Member

My guess is that you're reading and taking-in my response as-if I said that WAS is better than LAD and HOU.

That's not what I said.

I said WAS's top 3 is "as" potent as LAD's.

And I backed off of my original assertion and said HOU has a decided edge over WAS, but not so much that there couldn't be some significant closing of the gap in these last 6 weeks.

Does that help?

• Like 1