• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New All-Star Game Format.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

I think it'll be more competitive, or at least I hope it is.

Example For the First 3 quarters:

Team Giannis scores - 32+29+37 = 99 (2 charities gets the money)

Team Lebron scores - 31+33+32 = 96 (1 charity gets the money)

For the 4th quarter, first team to 123 points wins the big prize (99+24 = 123).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

This feels overly complicated but if it results in more engaged players and a more entertaining game then let's give it a try.  Just feels like something that won't be in place very long.

I'm not seeing the complication - it's like playing 3 12 minutes games, winner of each gets the money...total the score of all games add 24 to highest number....a race to the total number, who gets there first wins.

Like most things during the AS weekend, I expect it to be underwhelming and awkward. They definitely could have honored Kobe in a more interesting and less convoluted way. But there is a chance we see 4 exciting mini-games which would be cool. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not seeing the complication - it's like playing 3 12 minutes games, winner of each gets the money...total the score of all games add 24 to highest number....a race to the total number, who gets there first wins.

Everyone is familiar with the 4 quarter structure to a basketball game. 

In middle of the 2nd quarter you see this on the screen:

TEAM LEBRON 43 - TEAM GIANNIS 37  2nd 8:59

You see that same format all game and even the most casual basketball fans know what that means.  Now they will have something on the screen showing something like this:

TOTAL GAME:  TEAM LEBRON 43 - TEAM GIANNIS 37  2nd 8:59

Second Quarter Match:  TEAM LEBRON 14 - TEAM GIANNIS 15

Then when we arrive in the 4th quarter the screen will have no time showing and it will be something like:

TEAM LEBRON 108 - TEAM GIANNIS 104  4th

Score to Win:  132

That seems objectively more complicated to me to follow and the removal of the clock from the 4th quarter is very likely to result in a much shorter 4th quarter which will just be weird to see.

It is an exhibition game and so nobody will care too much with nothing consequential to a team's playoff aspirations on the line but it seems like casual fans will be scratching their heads trying to figure out why the screen is showing two different scores in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and then removing the clock and putting up this target score on the screen in the 4th.

We'll see how it plays out but it strikes me as something that will go down as a trivia question in the history books and be otherwise forgotten very quickly.

• Moderators

Just read an article that made it sound like they won't be showing the overall game score until the 4th quarter and that the score will be reset each quarter so maybe it will look just like:

TEAM LEBRON 14 - TEAM GIANNIS 15 2nd 8:59

Then in the third quarter:

TEAM LEBRON 4 - TEAM GIANNIS 3 3rd 10:40

Then they will post the overall score for the first time in the fourth quarter with no playclock.  If that happens, it will definitely confuse casual fans.  Fans won't want to keep a running total in their head of the overall score.  I predict that if they do this that online providers will give the overall score like in a normal game throughout to limit the confusion.

I think you'd be better off showing both the quarter and overall score.  

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's definitely a positive because the first 3.5 quarters of an all star game are the most boring spectacle in sports this side of the pro bowl.  

I'm definitely hoping it will generate more competitive play but I'm a bit skeptical that there is anything that will do that.

The 4th quarter will be interesting because you might only get 8 minutes of play with this format.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm definitely hoping it will generate more competitive play but I'm a bit skeptical that there is anything that will do that.

The 4th quarter will be interesting because you might only get 8 minutes of play with this format.

this is the beauty of guys like trae and luka being in.  They will care about winning.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I've been advocating for awhile for a division based All-Star game, setting up by design a scenario where players want to be that group that most led their conference to a winning final outcome, and by the same token, don't want to be that group that got ran out of the building during their time on the floor.

Simple set up.

At the beginning of the season, a random drawing is held that dictates the first 3 quarters' match-ups for that February's ASG and is announced. Hypothetically, it might look something like this in a given year.

1st Q = Atlantic All Stars vs. Northwest All Stars

2nd Q = Southeast All Stars vs. Southwest All Stars

3rd Q = Central All Stars vs. Pacific All Stars '

4th Q = East All Stars (starters by fan vote, bench by coaches/players vote) vs. West All Stars

Having said that, I also have long thought there should be some charity angle. And/but you can still do that. In fact, there's every reason to do both. I'm not a fan of the way they've chosen to introduce that element--I think it's too limiting and seemingly arbitrary; but at least they're going in a good direction.

Am good with it. Play hard guys.

The team that wins each quarter gets $100,000 for their team's charity. At the end of the third quarter, the cumulative score will be posted on the scoreboard, and the entire period will be played under The Basketball Tournament's Elam Ending, a rule recommended by players' union president Chris Paul, who coached in the aforementioned tournament in 2019, for the entire quarter. The NBA All-Star Game's Elam Ending will use a target score of 24 points greater than the leading team's score in honor of Kobe Bryant, who died on January 26, 2020. The winning team will win $200,000 for their charity. If one team wins each of the first three quarters and reaches the target score first, $500,000 will be donated to the winning team’s charity and $100,000 will be donated to the losing team’s charity.