• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's time to have that talk: Jeffery DeMarco Teague

NBASupes

When we made the trade Allen Crabbe for Jeff Teague. It was considered to be a colossal win for us even for guys who watch a lot of games like me. Even though both had negative WARs and were complete negatives, I was convinced that Jeff was a decent backup PG and that he could not only handle the role but lift the floor of our historically low bench offense when Trae's off the floor. Since he's been here, he's been just that in terms of raising the floor of our offense. He's raised the floor offensively and decently. Our offensive rating with him is 98 which is 10 points higher than it was before Teague came. To say he has been an offensive upgrade over Crabbe is an understatement. He has been a positive on that end. Not an major positive, but a decent backup level PG and at times a spot starter. 

The reason we are having this thread is, it's time to have that talk. Defensively, he's twice as bad as Kevin, worse than Trae Young and one of the worst defensive players in the NBA and by far the worst perimeter defender with IT0. Maybe even worse honestly. Jeff doesn't cover any ground defensively, okay, that's normal for a bad defender but he doesn't move much either. He moves less than anyone I've seen from that position in awhile. Even IT0 tries. He is constantly out of position because he loves to reach and go for steals. He doesn't communicate on defense at all. He lost all of his lateral quickness from his younger years. He can't stay in front of no one.

Even though he's experienced, he plays defense like a rookie at times. When Minny media said he's awful defensively now, I thought it was maybe underrated even if the WAR and the RAPTOR said, it's not. I blamed it on KAT more than anything. Boy was I wrong. 

Jeff is the worst defender I've seen in a Hawk uniform since old Bibby. Think last year in Atlanta Bibby and Miami Bibby. That's how bad he is defensively. I don't think he's NBA level anymore. I think it's time for Jeff to consider hanging them up. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

I usually would agree with you but I can’t here. I think there’s too much confusion on the court with the team overall. I’m not denying that Teague  may have gotten worse defensively since the last time we’ve had him but so many things can be leading to this type of play.
For example as you know....There’s a lack of energy and drive a lot of times throughout the games overall on both ends for this team and the defense communication has always been little to none whatsoever on this team.

I think Teague is still great quality to have as a backup point guard along with Goodwin and he’d be able to offer even more than he is now offensively as a backup point  if he could figure out what the hell his teammates are doing when he’s running point. He doesn’t know this team yet and even though there’s some improvements with him here over Crabbe (offensively) this is not the best he can do offensively as a backup! no where near in my opinion........

this is something to revisit after Schlenk makes quality moves to improve the bench and Teague goes through training camp, etc getting to know these guys.

If Jeff was strictly backing up Trae at point then it might look somewhat less painful. He is not worth anything at off ball like I had thought he could be for us. And agree with folks, organized offense is not our strong point so the acclimation has to be very rough for him. Two hills for him to climb. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I've never liked Teague's effort on defense, even the first time around.

And it's why I do think this is but a pit stop for him on the way to his next team. Schlenk almost has to be thinking to obtain a more defensively-accomplished back-up to Trae, and even better if it can be someone who can play beside Trae at times.

Really liking what I'm seeing in this Iowa State kid, Tyrese Haliburton.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

I honestly think that he doesn't want to be here. His body language has been bad since he has been here. 

Yeah unfortunately he’s not going to display his best on a team losing this bad. It is what is .

Teague is not happy playing with Trae because he can't play off ball. He is a goner after this season. You're not re-signing Teague to play 12 minutes a game.

Jeffrey Teague:

“I’m a point guard. I’m comfortable with the ball in my hands,” Teague said. “I don’t have a problem playing off the ball. It’s difficult, but it’s different. It’s different because I’ve been playing point guard in the NBA for 11 years. Sitting in the corner is a little different, but it’s part of the game.”

8 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Teague is not happy playing with Trae because he can't play off ball. He is a goner after this season. You're not re-signing Teague to play 12 minutes a game.

He might be a goner for good from any NBA team

I found an old link on Hoopshype where Jeff talks about his ankle that he injured last season.

Christopher Hine: Jeff Teague, who had ankle surgery in April, said today he didn’t start playing full-on basketball until training camp began. When asked if he felt 100 percent outside of his conditioning, Teague said: “I feel OK. I don’t think I’ll ever be 100 percent, but I feel OK.”

• Sad 1