Will Mark Cuban win his protest against the Hawks?

TheNorthCydeRises

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It seems like the NBA is waiting to see what happens to Dallas in the playoff race to make a decision.

Ugg. I fkn hate Cuban and the Mavs. lol. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It seems like the NBA is waiting to see what happens to Dallas in the playoff race to make a decision.

That doesn't seem fair. It shouldn't be dependent on that. It's either a redo or not based on the EVIDENCE presented. 

A date and time would have to be scheduled un advance as well.

• Like 4

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

That doesn't seem fair. It shouldn't be dependent on that. It's either a redo or not based on FACTS.

The NBA is a business. They would have to reverse gambling as well. It's not that easy 

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The NBA is a business. They would have to reverse gambling as well. It's not that easy 

Not sure how that is relevant to her point.  Either there are grounds to do all of that or there aren't.  In my view, it clearly doesn't rise to something that should allow for a replay.  Basically their protest amounts to a basket having been counted that was after the whistle was blown.  That has happened in various forms many, many times in NBA history without ever justifying a replay or even a change (in a situation where a shot was counted that was after the final buzzer).  If you think they got it wrong, then you mark it on the error sheet and educate your refs and move on.

• Thanks 2

Just now, AHF said:

Not sure how that is relevant to her point.  Either there are grounds to do all of that or there aren't.  In my view, it clearly doesn't rise to something that should allow for a replay.  Basically their protest amounts to a basket having been counted that was after the whistle was blown.  That has happened in various forms many, many times in NBA history without ever justifying a replay or even a change (in a situation where a shot was counted that was after the final buzzer).  If you think they got it wrong, then you mark it on the error sheet and educate your refs and move on.

I don't think anything, I was just mentioning what I've heard about how they feel about it.

• Moderators
Just now, NBASupes said:

I don't think anything, I was just mentioning what I've heard about how they feel about it.

Right but they have to make a decision whether every circumstance like this is worth re-opening a game or not and that can't depend on where the Mavs end up in the playoff race.  They should make that decision fairly quickly.  They have all the information they need to assess this:

• Possibility #1 - The refs made the right call.  Denied.  Move on.
  • Possibility #2 - The refs missed the call but they miss lots of calls and this doesn't justify replaying the end of the game.  Denied.  move on.
  • Possibility #3 - The refs missed the call and this is so egregious that it justifies all the hassle of replaying the end of the game and all the consequences like unwinding gambling, etc.  In this case, the longer you wait the harder it will be to unwind and put things back on track.  I don't see how you reach this ruling but whether the NBA agrees or not there still is not a good reason to sit on this for another month.
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

What? I'm talking about the NBA making a decision based on the merits of their review. It's eirher a yes or no.

Houston filed a protest earlier this year on a dunk by Harden that wasn't counted. They lost the appeal.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What? I'm talking about the NBA making a decision based on the merits of their review. It's eirher a yes or no.

Houston filed a protest earlier this year on a dunk by Harden that wasn't counted. They lost the appeal.

I think the NBA leaning to reversing it but they don't want to do it unless they have to do it. 

43 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I think the NBA leaning to reversing it but they don't want to do it unless they have to do it. 

The league may be capable of some shady things, but no way they're going to sit on this until the end of the regular season to see if Dallas needs a win or not.

That said, reversing this at all would be shady as hell. Dallas shouldn't even want to do it, but I think Cuban is still trying to win a twitter argument. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I want to know why this is different than the many other situations where baskets were counted that shouldn't have been.  Those never lead to games being replayed.  (Assuming they conclude the refs were wrong to begin with.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

If that's the route they choose based on their review, then fine....but it should not be dependent on Dallas' standing.  It should be on it's own stand alone merit.

• Like 3