• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons free of Devonta Freeman

Thomas

Saving a bunch of cash on the three years left on that contract don't you know. About time. Your last season Lion's trade interest is now open to offers @Spud2nique.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28910550/falcons-releasing-devonta-freeman-three-years-left-contract

The Atlanta Falcons are releasing two-time Pro Bowl running back Devonta Freeman with three years and $21 million remaining on his contract, his agent, Kristin Campbell, told ESPN on Monday. The move saves $3.5 million against the salary cap ahead of free agency, with the Falcons lacking cap space. It leaves $6 million in dead money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trufant and Sombrello also released.

Hardy won't be back, FA.

Hooper signs with Browns, now highest paid TE.

Well, Hooper just went from one of my favorite players to most hated. F'ing traitor. :threaten:

Starting to think the Ryan/Julio duo is just being wasted here in Atlanta.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thomas said:

Saving a bunch of cash on the three years left on that contract don't you know. About time. Your last season Lion's trade interest is now open to offers @Spud2nique.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28910550/falcons-releasing-devonta-freeman-three-years-left-contract

The Atlanta Falcons are releasing two-time Pro Bowl running back Devonta Freeman with three years and $21 million remaining on his contract, his agent, Kristin Campbell, told ESPN on Monday. The move saves $3.5 million against the salary cap ahead of free agency, with the Falcons lacking cap space. It leaves $6 million in dead money.

I’m kinda numb as a Lions fan. I hate to say it again but it trickles from ownership down. Martha Ford doesn’t care and neither will the next Ford. I feel the Knicks pain as Dolan destroys them. Even after that, we have to move on from Stafford to win imo. Stafford is the biggest stat stuffer and the highest paid football player or he was at a certain point is insanity. 

I made a mistake as a kid and stayed loyal. And now I suffer. Nice guys do finish last. Or maybe I was nice with a a sprinkle of aholeness here n there. Ahhh I meant well. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m kinda numb as a Lions fan. I hate to say it again but it trickles from ownership down. Martha Ford doesn’t care and neither will the next Ford. I feel the Knicks pain as Dolan destroys them. Even after that, we have to move on from Stafford to win imo. Stafford is the biggest stat stuffer and the highest paid football player or he was at a certain point is insanity. 

I made a mistake as a kid and stayed loyal. And now I suffer. Nice guys do finish last. Or maybe I was nice with a a sprinkle of aholeness here n there. Ahhh I meant well. 

I haven't watched a ton of Stafford as a pro but whenever I would see him i'd be jealous that he actually had a strong arm unlike Ryan.  

But the Falcons are toast anyway.  Ryan's strengths were always throwing to guys like Gonzalez and Coleman.  Julio catches, or at least used to, a lot of horribly thrown balls from Ryan.  I hate to say it but I'd love to see Julio play with a QB that can throw accurate deep passes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I haven't watched a ton of Stafford as a pro but whenever I would see him i'd be jealous that he actually had a strong arm unlike Ryan.  

But the Falcons are toast anyway.  Ryan's strengths were always throwing to guys like Gonzalez and Coleman.  Julio catches, or at least used to, a lot of horribly thrown balls from Ryan.  I hate to say it but I'd love to see Julio play with a QB that can throw accurate deep passes.  

I actually prefer Ryan to Stafford, barely. Ryan started out with so much promise but he’s tailed off. Ya I think both franchises need a fresh start. We started with Stafford over 10 years ago and I think the same with you guys, they were prolly separated by one or two drafts. Julio and Calvin sadly went to waste a bit. I’m used to it with Barry Sanders but it doesn’t make it ok.

• Sad 1

Julio caught 300 yards in a game with Ryan at the helm. Sixth on the NFL All Time list. 500 yards that day for Ryan as well. We choked in the SB later but only two teams got there in the first place so am gonna try real hard to remember the positives and protect Ryan as well as we can moving forward. I still blame that SB loss on both Shanahan being the arrogant F that he is and then Freeman for letting sackers right by him and he ultimately cost us a late game fumble. Ryan to Julio was more than fine in the big one.

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Thomas said:

Julio caught 300 yards in a game with Ryan at the helm. Sixth on the NFL All Time list. 500 yards that day for Ryan as well. We choked in the SB later but only two teams got there in the first place so am gonna try real hard to remember the positives and protect Ryan as well as we can moving forward. I still blame that SB loss on both Shanahan being the arrogant F that he is and then Freeman for letting sackers right by him and he ultimately cost us a late game fumble. Ryan to Julio was more than fine in the big one.

Agree with all of that but that was three years ago and we still have the same coach.  Julio and Ryan are not in their prime anymore.  I think we could still be dangerous around those guys if we had a decent scheme.   But i've seen enough of DQ to know that we'll just keep doing the same thing.   Our defense will be all hyper for game one and lay a bunch of guys out and then return to normal average after that.   Offense will just pass on passing downs, run on running downs, waste clock, attempt to throw deep and fail, punt the ball away with 2 minutes left in the game down 7.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I wish Freeman well. He had a good run at RB and he ran hard for a smaller back. The missed block during the Super Bowl still stings, but the Falcons should've never been throwing the ball in the first place. Julio already made what should have been the game sealing catch at the 20. Freeman looked well done this past season but I hope he catches on somewhere.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hawkman said:

Julio already made what should have been the game sealing catch at the 20.

Yeah, on third down just take the damn knee and then Bryant kicks. Getting that same old headache again man.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1