• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Retire Jersey #2....

Diesel

• Premium Member

We should retire Joe Johnson's Jersey.

Pistol Pete's Jersey is retired and he only played for us for 4 years.   Joe was a 7 time allstar with us. 

Nique was a 9 time allstar with us and he never got us passed the 2nd round of the playoffs. 

• Like 4

The Hawks should have retired Joe's jersey right after he was traded to Brooklyn. Joe got it done, it was a shame most of our fickle fans didn't give him his due respect. All the crazy ISO Joe garbage was more a Coach Mike Woodson thing than Joe Johnson, IMO. Woodson had no clue on offense. It's also a shame he never got to play with Chris Paul. Joe Johnson, Chris Paul, and Josh Smith is a 2nd Round playoff team at least.

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, TRW said:

The Hawks should have retired Joe's jersey right after he was traded to Brooklyn. Joe got it done, it was a shame most of our fickle fans didn't give him his due respect. All the crazy ISO Joe garbage was more a Coach Mike Woodson thing than Joe Johnson, IMO. Woodson had no clue on offense. It's also a shame he never got to play with Chris Paul. Joe Johnson, Chris Paul, and Josh Smith is a 2nd Round playoff team at least.

Does anyone ever get their jersey retired while they are still playing?

• Like 1

Al Horford - Most winningest Atlanta Hawk of all time. Led us to our best season in Atlanta Hawks history. Most valuable Hawk outside of Trae and Nique. One of the most impactful Hawks to ever play the game. He impacted winning.

Joe Johnson - One of the most skilled Hawks of all time. Two way player and someone who did wonders for this franchise. 

If Memphis can retire their grit and grind era players. I am not sure why we can't do it for Horford and Iso Joe.

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member

We have retired Kasim Reed's Jersey.  Wait, Kasim Reed didn't play one minute.  Next, you will see Migos and 2Chains Jerseys in the rafters.  

Seriously though.... Joe deserves to see that #2 up there.   Maybe not this year, but within the next 5 years. 

Joe's post Hawk career has made him more likable among basketball fans.  His performance in the Big 3 has helped him as well.

If this team is winning, I could see a scenario where fans would really appreciate JJ's number being retired.  Someone from that era needs to be acknowledged.  

If Joe gets into the Hall of Fame, which I think is a 50/50 coin flip right now, that would definitely be the time to retire his jersey. 

And do it before the Brooklyn franchise does it.  That would be a HORRIBLE look for us, if his number in Brooklyn got retired, before the Hawks had a chance to do it.

• Moderators

I'm on the fence.  You're right he and probably Horford may 'deserve' it by Hawks rafters standards.   Would their hawks careers get them to the rafters in other places?  I don't know.   

Of course i'd still like to see Roundfield up there before anyone else.