• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks made it to the Quarter Turn of the season....

REHawksFan

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, AHF said:

Last year the expectation was being in the lottery.  This year the expectation is to be in the playoffs.  Big change.

So you would be content with a performance similar to last year's Orlando Magic team then?

13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So you would be content with a performance similar to last year's Orlando Magic team then.

News flash, and I know that you already know this, but we arent winning the Finals this year. We are going to make the playoffs and we are going to lose in the playoffs. That's what this team's destiny is in 2021.
 If it's in the play in round, that would suck. Other than that you live with it based on the showing. 

Im hoping for 6th seed or better, with a series win. If we are 6 that means we likely face one of the Bucks, Celtics or Nets in the first round. None of those team scare me, but I can see us losing to each of them on pure playoff experience alone. Its that simple.

The goal is public knowledge in Hawk land. Get back to the playoffs. That's the next step, even if it's not the final step. But lets get there first.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

News flash, and I know that you already know this, but we arent winning the Finals this year. We are going to make the playoffs and we are going to lose in the playoffs. That's what this team's destiny is in 2021.
 If it's in the play in round, that would suck. Other than that you live with it based on the showing. 

Im hoping for 6th seed or better, with a series win. If we are 6 that means we likely face one of the Bucks, Celtics or Nets in the first round. None of those team scare me, but I can see us losing to each of them on pure playoff experience alone. Its that simple.

The goal is public knowledge in Hawk land. Get back to the playoffs. That's the next step, even if it's not the final step. But lets get there first.

I guess your answer was yes to being content with a sub .500 team that makes the playoffs but gets beat 4-1 in the 1st round.  O.K.

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I guess your answer was yes to being content with a sub .500 team that makes the playoffs but gets beat 4-1 in the 1st round.  O.K.

Passive aggressive much? Those weren't my words. Not close.

So you think we are a championship contending team this year?

Because I said I hope we are 6 seed and win a series. Which would be 2nd rd. Anything beyond 2nd is contender territory. 

So you think, right now we are better than Philly, Mil, Bos or Bkn and should beat at least 2 of them in a series this year?

Yes or No? 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Because I said I hope we are 6 seed and win a series. Which would be 2nd rd. Anything beyond 2nd is contender territory. 

So you think, right now we are better than Philly, Mil, Bos or Bkn and should beat at least 2 of them in a series this year?

Yes or No? 

You agreed with @AHF that you would be content with making the playoffs did you not?

• Premium Member
Just now, RedDawg#8 said:

So you answer questions with a question now? It was a yes or no buddy. Nice try

The question about how good the hawks are?  I don't know but I'm trying to get a feel for what you would be content with since you were the one that brought it up.

14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The question about how good the hawks are?  I don't know but I'm trying to get a feel for what you would be content with since you were the one that brought it up.

My brother, if you didnt get a "feel" for where I stand already, based on my extremely long-winded prior responses, then I don't know what to tell you man. I could not have been any clearer about the topic up to this point. 

I talk too much as is, Im in no mood to continue to repeat myself. 

Edited by RedDawg#8

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

My brother, if you didnt get a "feel" for where I stand already, based on my extremely long-winded prior responses, then I don't know what to tell you man. I could not have been any clearer about the topic up to this point. 

I talk too much as is, Im in no mood to continue to repeat myself. 

So let me get this straight...I asked @AHF a question...You answer for him and when I ask you for clarification about mixed messages that you conveyed while agreeing with and now speaking for AHF, you not only won't answer the question but you get defensive about it. 

I asked a very simple question...Would you be content with Orlando's result last year since you agree with AHF that making playoffs was good enough.  The answer should have been as simple as...No I would be disappointed or yes, that would be my expectations.  But for some reason to avoided answering the answering.  But anyway have a good day.

7 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

7 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Yes or No? 

55 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So let me get this straight...I asked @AHF a question...You answer for him and when I ask you for clarification about mixed messages that you conveyed while agreeing with and now speaking for AHF, you not only won't answer the question but you get defensive about it. 

I asked a very simple question...Would you be content with Orlando's result last year since you agree with AHF that making playoffs was good enough.  The answer should have been as simple as...No I would be disappointed or yes, that would be my expectations.  But you for some reason to avoid answering.  But anyway have a good day.

Bro, I answered you directly, in plain English, with detail TWICE.

I am HOPING for 6th seed or better with a series win. 

Orlando was an 8th seed that lost in round 1. How is that not clear to you, my hopes for us are higher than what Orlando did?

Semantics game: "Happy with?" No, I'm not "happy" until we win a ring. But my objective expectations, aspirations, hopes, whatever you want to call it, are 6th seed or better with a series win for this season.

You have successfully dodged my question for like 4 posts now while succeeding in making me repeat myself 3 times and counting. 

I'm clearly the jackass for entertaining you. But I would appreciate you state your expectations for the record since you insist on shading anyone else with an objective opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

What level of playoff success makes for a satisfying conclusion to the season depends on who we are facing, who is available on our roster, and how the games play out.  The first playoff appearance of the JJ/Smoove/Horford era was an inspiring run even though it was a first round loss.  If we got a #3 seed in the regular season then getting swept badly would be very unsatisfying.  

There are going to be a lot of moving pieces this year that will factor into the equation.

For a guy who wouldn’t even make a preseason prediction for how this team would do, I would think you’d be sympathetic to the view that we need to see how things develop.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Bro, I answered you directly, in plain English, with detail TWICE.

I am HOPING for 6th seed or better with a series win. 

Orlando was an 8th seed that lost in round 1. How is that not clear to you, my hopes for us are higher than what Orlando did?

Semantics game: "Happy with?" No, I'm not "happy" until we win a ring. But my objective expectations, aspirations, hopes, whatever you want to call it, are 6th seed or better with a series win for this season.

You have successfully dodged my question for like 4 posts now while succeeding in making me repeat myself 3 times and counting. 

I'm clearly the jackass for entertaining you. But I would appreciate you state your expectations for the record since you insist on shading anyone else with an objective opinion.

OK.  AHF clearly stated that he would be satisfied with a playoff birth and your response was "Exactly" So forgive me if I was a little confused by that reply.  Its good to know now that you would not be content with just a playoff birth... I would be disappointed myself because I think the team has more potential than last year's Orlando team.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

OK.  AHF clearly stated that he would be satisfied with a playoff birth and your response was "Exactly" So forgive me if I was a little confused by that reply.  Its good to know now that you would not be content with just a playoff birth... I would be disappointed myself because I think the team has more potential than last year's Orlando team.

You are asking for how people will “feel” about the conclusion to the season when there is a long road to pass.  Playoffs or not is a clear threshold but how you feel isn’t a binary outcome and is dependent on a lot of factors.  Given how much can change during this strange Covid season, I don’t plan on setting a bar in January beyond making the playoffs just to complain if they don’t meet it.  I’ll react to what actually happens.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

What level of playoff success makes for a satisfying conclusion to the season depends on who we are facing, who is available on our roster, and how the games play out.  The first playoff appearance of the JJ/Smoove/Horford era was an inspiring run even though it was a first round loss.  If we got a #3 seed in the regular season then getting swept badly would be very unsatisfying.  

There are going to be a lot of moving pieces this year that will factor into the equation.

For a guy who wouldn’t even make a preseason prediction for how this team would do, I would think you’d be sympathetic to the view that we need to see how things develop.

I look at it from a different perspective.  In any situation, there is the a target outcome if everything goes as plan and if that goal isn't met for some reason there is disappointment.  The Hawks have the potential to host a playoff series if everything functions like it should meaning that Trae cleans up his play and plays smarter consistently, Cam starts to understand his role better, slow down and make better decisions to the point where Cam and Hunter are without question our 2 best wing players.  Capela, John, and Hunter are fine.  Also the coaching staff has to tighten up.  Soloman Hill can't be our 6 man which mean either LP has to stop favoring this guy or the other players have to step up so much that even LP won't continue to making that choice.  I know that you guys think that I'm hard on the team but I want them win as much as you do and that is why I am so critical.  But if the team does not improve, they are headed toward that 8th seed or worse which would be a major disappointment for me.

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

I look at it from a different perspective.  In any situation, there is the a target outcome if everything goes as plan and if that goal isn't met for some reason there is disappointment.  The Hawks have the potential to host a playoff series if everything functions like it should meaning that Trae cleans up his play and plays smarter consistently, Cam starts to understand his role better, slow down and make better decisions to the point where Cam and Hunter are without question our 2 best wing players.  Capela, John, and Hunter are fine.  Also the coaching staff has to tighten up.  Soloman Hill can't be our 6 man which mean either LP has to stop favoring this guy or the other players have to step up so much that even LP won't continue to making that choice.  I know that you guys think that I'm hard on the team but I want them win as much as you do and that is why I am so critical.  But if the team does not improve, they are headed toward that 8th seed or worse which would be a major disappointment for me.

You wouldn’t even make a preseason prediction so I have a hard time when you are trying to put words in my mouth about my expectations.  My expectations is playoffs.  Beyond that my expectations will vary depending on circumstance.  Like if Trae is out, I think we aren’t winning anything against a top 3 team in the East and that is ok given that context based on how I think the team is capable of performing without him.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

You wouldn’t even make a preseason prediction so I have a hard time when you are trying to put words in my mouth about my expectations.  My expectations is playoffs.  Beyond that my expectations will vary depending on circumstance.  Like if Trae is out, I think we aren’t winning anything against a top 3 team in the East and that is ok given that context based on how I think the team is capable of performing without him.  

My questions did not center around predictions or a specific out come, my question centered around expectation for the team if everything fell right.  You wanted record predictions not me.  I want to discuss the potential posters see with this roster this year

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

My questions did not center around predictions or a specific out come, my question centered around expectation for the team if everything fell right.  You wanted record predictions not me.  I want to discuss the potential posters see with this roster this year

I’m not reacting to an imaginary scenario (I phrase it that way because I think it is almost a zero chance that everything goes right for a “best” case scenario come the playoffs and the range of reasonable scenarios could lead to a wide range of outcomes).  I’m going to react to what actually happens.  I think the team should be able to manage to the playoffs regardless of anything but the most extreme outcomes.

I definitely don’t buy into this equation:

* 5th worst team in the nba in 2019-20

* fewer practices and games in 2020 than any playoff competitor from last season

* a draft pick who has been hurt and doesn’t appear ready to make a major impact

+

* an “same old Hawks” offseason where TS failed to add any difference makers and where those new additions have had health issues

* an incompetent coach who doesn’t develop his players and has no competent systems or schemes

= top 4 team in the East

So it’s likely we are going to approach it from a different perspective.  And that’s ok.

• Premium Member
On 12/14/2020 at 6:28 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Here goes:

1 - 41-31 (56.9%)

2 - 1 All-Star

3 - 0 All-NBA

4 - 0 All-Rookie

5 - 7th Seed

6 - 40-32 Expected W/L

My offseason predictions^^

If we can get all the offseason signees available to play for a significant stretch of games ALL AT THE SAME TIME, from what I've seen so far, we should be a higher seed.  Bogdan and Rondo (9 games), Snell (8 games) Gallinari (6 games),Okongwu (4 games), Dunn (0 games), Hill has been the only FA signee to play in all games and we all wish to see him less. This isn't sustainable.

Our 'Core 5' from last season plus Capela have been carrying the load, all we've gotten is a sprinkling of the offseason acquisitions contributions, here and there.  That really puts us at a disadvantage.  Coupled that with as I mentioned previously, the limited available practices for a team with so many new players also puts us behind the 8 ball.

There are 4 games that I wish we could have back - Cavs, Knicks, and the 2 Hornet games) - but we can't, so we move forward to the next 18 games, hoping for better than 9-9.