• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks made it to the Quarter Turn of the season....

REHawksFan

@REHawksFan Great write-up, but I think we should add the team added several key pieces over the COVID-19 period, to which I'm including Capela. With any team, adding as much as the Hawks have, you'd expect them to struggle with chemistry on and off court.  Add-in the lack of practice (see @JayBirdHawk) and you get the inconsistency we are seeing from the team.  Being at .500 is exactly where I thought they would be.  The next 20 games will start to tell us where the team is in terms of developing chemistry, a second scoring option, and health. If all of those develop, then we likely are looking at a .600 club, lose on one of those, then stay at .500, and if on all three, sub-.500. 

@JayBirdHawk I completely agree with how you see the next stages of development.  For me, Reddish is the key to puzzle. IF he gets the game to slow down and his confidence goes up, he becomes that true second option.  Hunter is wonderful at what he is, but I just don't see the get a basket when it is needed skill-set that Trae and, potentially Reddish, have. That isn't to say Hunter isn't part of the winning solution, he is, but just not that secondary go get it guy. 

Overall, I'm happy to see the Hawks starting to figure it out. There is a long way to go to be a 50+ win team, but they are at least showing potential to get there. 

On a personal note, now that international travel is canceled for my organization, I actually get to watch games. One of the few nice consequences of this damn pandemic. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

For me, Reddish is the key to puzzle. IF he gets the game to slow down and his confidence goes up, he becomes that true second option.  Hunter is wonderful at what he is, but I just don't see the get a basket when it is needed skill-set that Trae and, potentially Reddish, have. That isn't to say Hunter isn't part of the winning solution, he is, but just not that secondary go get it guy. 

I will disagree somewhat with your take on Hunter, he has shown he can get you a bucket when needed in a variety of ways granted it's a very small sample size. He has become adept at driving to the basket and gettimg the shot or getting to the foul line, or pulling up for a 3, pump fake 1 dribble shoot. The next step would be to make a play for someone else when those avenues close. 

Having said that, to become a true #2, wether him or Reddish, you have to be able to do that when defenses focus on stopping you. They're not yet a focal point of defenses so they're playing free ball right now. Cam would need to show the consistency that Hunter has so far to be in the discussion right now.

• Like 4

Due to the rash of injuries, I am good with where we are at this point. Its going to be tough staying at .500 for the next 18 games though if we don't become more consistent. Consistency with Trae is seriously needed given how up and down Rondo and Goodwin are. Huerter and Reddish is sorely needed with Bogi and Dunn out. Gallinari needs to stay healthy and start playing 20 or more minutes.

Like I said, if not for the injuries this team would be above .500. So .500 with them is acceptable. This upcoming part of the season is tough though.

Go Hawks!

• Like 3

• Premium Member

It continues to amaze me how some posters can watch Trae and Hunter play and conclude that Trae is far superior to Hunter with regards to initiating the offense.  I personally think that Hunter is an excellent facilitator and certainly more consistently good at it than Trae. Now Trae is a better passer no doubt but Trae make way more poor decisions that Hunter and it's not even close.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Of course he makes more poor decsions -- he's making MORE decisions because hes the primary ball handler.  Hunter has been looking good lately, but don't get ahead of yourself and think he could actually run the offense to anywhere near the level Trae can right now.  There's a reason Trae is bad on defense but routinely leads the team in +/-

Lebron and a lot of other players handle the load more than others... That should make your decision making poorer. We are talking percentage.  Dre almost never makes a poor decision. A high percentage of Trae decisions are poor!

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Of course he makes more poor decsions -- he's making MORE decisions......

......and every teams focus is geared to stopping him. No one else on this team has that to deal with night in night out.

I hope this thread doesn't get derailed with 'who is the best player'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

......and every teams focus is geared to stopping him. No one else on this team has that to deal with night in night out.

Too late. When we start arguing if Hunter or Trae should initiate the offense you know this thread has already gone off the rails.:laugh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I will disagree somewhat with your take on Hunter, he has shown he can get you a bucket when needed in a variety of ways granted it's a very small sample size. He has become adept at driving to the basket and gettimg the shot or getting to the foul line, or pulling up for a 3, pump fake 1 dribble shoot. The next step would be to make a play for someone else when those avenues close. 

Having said that, to become a true #2, wether him or Reddish, you have to be able to do that when defenses focus on stopping you. They're not yet a focal point of defenses so they're playing free ball right now. Cam would need to show the consistency that Hunter has so far to be in the discussion right now.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/1/27/22252218/atlanta-hawks-deandre-hunter-trae-young

Great write up on what Dre has been giving us so far this season

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yep. There's only one player that team's actually game plan to try and stop and that's Trae. 

Now with that said, moving on. 

I like your player list of needs for the next set of games. IMO, we gonna need Cam to play under control, Clint and Gallo to stay healthy, and Hunter to up that FGA just a bit.  If they do that, I think they can hang with the best and hopefully stay around .500 until the schedule eases back up.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Sounds like the majority of fans are happy with the .500 record. Happy with the loss last night because the team was competitive and can explain why the team lost to non playoff teams early using commonly used explanations such as youth,injuries, trap games,back to back, chemistry etc.  Almost at the 20 mark where the chemistry excuse will disappear hopefully the next will be injuries.  Then we'll be down to 3.

• Premium Member

Good Stuff in this one.  Lines up with what I posted above.

“I really admire what Lloyd (Pierce)’s doing,” Nets coach Steve Nash said. “This is a tough matchup for us. They stretch you out. They space the floor. They put the ball in players’ hands and give them some freedom of confidence but within a structure. It’s very difficult to guard. They have a little bit of diversity in their offense. They play hard. They got length. Lloyd is a great young coach and only getting better. The Hawks are really lucky to have him.”

Irving, unprompted, said, “This is a good Hawks team, and we could have folded at any point in the fourth quarter.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Good Stuff in this one.  Lines up with what I posted above.

Great article. Me finally subscribing was the best decision I could have made. No slight to the AJC as they have gotten better, but the Athletic's content is still ahead of them.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Great article. Me finally subscribing was the best decision I could have made. No slight to the AJC as they have gotten better, but the Athletic's content is still ahead of them.

Covid lockdown and no games got me to subscribe.  I did when they had a special. 

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Sounds like the majority of fans are happy with the .500 record. Happy with the loss last night because the team was competitive and can explain why the team lost to non playoff teams early using commonly used explanations such as youth,injuries, trap games,back to back, chemistry etc.  Almost at the 20 mark where the chemistry excuse will disappear hopefully the next will be injuries.  Then we'll be down to 3.

Happy and content are different vibes.

We are where we should be based on expectations before the season. If we won every game that we gave away, we would be number 1 in the East, which while excellent, is not what any of us would have predicted.

Its the NBA, not college football. You can lose games, a lot of them actually, and still find yourself in the mix.

I have laid out our path the close the first half of the schedule and we are where we should be. A long winning streak wont come for while looking the games ahead.

We very well could fall 3 games under .500 here soon, but by the break, we should be a couple game over. And that's just being objective. It aint got nothing to do with LP and his coaching/rotations or Trae's turnovers.  Just plain out objectivity.

9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Covid lockdown and no games got me to subscribe.  I did when they had a special. 

Same!

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Happy and content are different vibes.

We are where we should be based on expectations before the season. If we won every game that we gave away, we would be number 1 in the East, which while excellent, is not what any of us would have predicted.

Its the NBA, not college football. You can lose games, a lot of them actually, and still find yourself in the mix.

I have laid out our path the close the first half of the schedule and we are where we should be. A long winning streak wont come for while looking the games ahead.

We very well could fall 3 games under .500 here soon, but by the break, we should be a couple game over. And that's just being objective. It aint got nothing to do with LP and his coaching/rotations or Trae's turnovers.  Just plain out objectivity.

When do the expectations go up then? Cause it sounds like you are content with a middling team that can lose to anybody.  Or do you just keep them low to avoid feelings of disappoint or something like that?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

When do the expectations go up then? Cause it sounds like you are content with a middling team that can lose to anybody.  Or do you just keep them low to avoid feelings of disappoint or something like that?

Last year the expectation was being in the lottery.  This year the expectation is to be in the playoffs.  Big change.

• Like 4