The Trae vs Luka trade fully reverses next year

sillent

19 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Can Luka do it once?  

He's got a point. Media and even mainstream folks love to move the goalposts around in their constant need to be right. But all I heard back when Nique was playing was...

'Well, he put up a bunch of points and all but he doesn't help his teammates...' 

'His teams never did much in the playoffs so he's not in the upper echelon of all-time players...' 

No one cared that the East was loaded back then with some of the baddest alpha dogs in the league's history throughout his prime (Dr. J, Bird, Moses, Isiah, Ewing, Jordan, Barkley), along with plenty of other viable players to contend with along the way (Toney, Cheeks, McHale, Ainge, DJ, Parrish, Dumars, Laimbeer, Jeff Malone, Aguirre, Pippen, Dantley, Cummings, et al) while the best Nique had riding shotgun with him was old Reggie Theus and an older Moses whom were both set in their ways.

Now why I mentioned Nique? It's because of what we're now hearing from Luka fans in the media and mainstream today when his playoff performances isn't enough to sniff the Western semis while Trae's debut damn near got him a ring...

'Aw, the West is full of contenders and Hall of Famers while the East is soft...' 

'Trae has all of those weapons around him to look good. Luka has no help!!!' 

Oh, the irony...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 4

We did fine on the Trae-Luka trade.  But we sorta got lucky because we did trade away a superstar.  To say we won it or will win it is still a ways off to me. 

Let's just look at Luka, he was #6 in 2021 MVP voting.  Maybe that was high but he's still viewed by most of the NBA as in that top 10 type category.

Trae is harder.  Break down which point guards if you throw out their contract or craziness you'd rather have over Trae.  Curry, Irving, and Lillard for sure for me.  If for some reason Trae demanded a trade, would he get us back Ja Morant or Jamal Murray?

So until Trae does what he did the last half of the season and playoffs again, Trae is not as valuable as Luka.  Then if Cam becomes the second best player on our team, for sure that would swing that Memphis or Denver trade.  But would Trae and someone better than John Collins get you someone valued up there in that top 10 category?

5 minutes ago, Iman said:

We did fine on the Trae-Luka trade.  But we sorta got lucky because we did trade away a superstar.  To say we won it or will win it is still a ways off to me. 

Let's just look at Luka, he was #6 in 2021 MVP voting.  Maybe that was high but he's still viewed by most of the NBA as in that top 10 type category.

Trae is harder.  Break down which point guards if you throw out their contract or craziness you'd rather have over Trae.  Curry, Irving, and Lillard for sure for me.  If for some reason Trae demanded a trade, would he get us back Ja Morant or Jamal Murray?

So until Trae does what he did the last half of the season and playoffs again, Trae is not as valuable as Luka.  Then if Cam becomes the second best player on our team, for sure that would swing that Memphis or Denver trade.  But would Trae and someone better than John Collins get you someone valued up there in that top 10 category?

MVP is a narrative and popularity contest. So you are basing your idea based off of media and not play on the court? 

How about Luka does what Trae did and get his team to the conference finals?

If the Hawks wanted to trade Trae, they could get any point guard outside of Curry probably and they may be able to get Curry if GS is looking to the future. 

Luka's top 10 is subjective.  Trae being 15 is subjective.  You look at what they do on the court and the success they've brought their team.  Luka had the edge the first two years even though  Trae's supporting cast wasn't stellar. Trae took it to another level in the playoffs and got his team to the ECF.  Something Luka hasn't done.  So outside of media hype, what has Luka accomplished to make you need to see more from Trae?

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still think everyone on this thread is viewing Trae from the perspective of him being on our team.  I didn't say trade Trae for Curry or Irving I was bringing up the trade value of Luka vs the trade value of Trae.  Also you can see why Trae is prone to getting left off all NBA or even all star teams when you direct compare him to other point guards.

Let's just break it down as far as what this team achieved this year.  Do you think if you put Luka on the same Hawks team this year that we would have went further or less far in the playoffs.  I think we would have went all the way myself.  But then again the reverse argument is we were missing Cam this year, and what about what he develops in to in the future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I don't honestly.  And maybe I am just  homer but I don't see Luka raising the level of the team around him the way Trae did this season.

I think they reversed the perception of the type of players they were supposed to be. Trae was supposed to be a guy that shot a ton and was more of a scoring point guard and Luka was supposed to be a Luka Magic, he is turning more into ISO Luka. Seriously when I watch games, they isolate him like JJ way too much. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

And their #2 player was unhappy playing with Luka by the end of it.   

Also, it was strange to me about how Goran didn’t sign with them. Goran is probably most familiar with Luka’s game but for whatever reason didn’t want to join him in Dallas, that seems off to me, something really strange about it. It’s kind of signaling that Luka is a d!ck and so was his dad which is why Vlade said :doublefinger: I’ll go with Bagley. 

The verdict is in: Luka is mean to his teammates and doesn’t share the ball when it’s needed most and is somewhat selfish in doing so imo. A fake unselfish guy to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MarylandHawk said:

I tell you what, if there is a Hawks Mavericks finals, it will be the highest rated finals ever. The NBA is winning. So long to those old LBJ, Kevin Durant, curry narratives. New Kids on the block. 

I’m rooting Hawks Grizz and I predicted that 2 years ago for 2024. Sac Kings would be kinda cool too. Somebody new though for sure. 

• Like 1