Our Biggest Rivals in the East?

sillent

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, pimp said:

i was trying to lay low because i felt like a idiot for saying that 😊

but in my defense it’s been like 35 years since we played on christmas lol

I did not remember who said, so went searching....lol

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Haha, don't lay low.  Come eat that crow and enjoy it with us.

Exactly, self serve crow...right this way.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, sillent said:

Exactly... Where are the Anthony Mason's of the league now? It's a copycat league and players get chosen typically because they are similar or compared to other great players.

Ain't nobody looking for the next Anthony Mason, Vernon Maxwell or Charles Oakley. Why because players are way more skilled then them.

It is a laughable subject when y'all bring that up as if it has any substance. You can bring that to the best or even worse GM's and they will laugh you out the building. 

You don't hear Charles, Shaq, Kenny or nobody mentioning any of those names as if those players had skills. Back in those days they needed goon squads to protect the skilled players. Now it's too many skills to go around to afford those type of players on a team. I don't know what's so difficult to understand about that.

You are so far off the reservation that I'm not going to keep this up but I will say there are a lot of players whose games have tried to be like Anthony Mason with balanced scoring (interior and perimeter), plus passing, and strong defense from a point forward role. Giannis is a like a super charged Mason to use one example.  Here is Giannis last year in his 8th season compared against Mason's 8th season:

image.png

Obviously, Giannis is better but both were hubs in their teams' offenses (5.9 assists to 5.7 assists), both led their teams in rebounding (11.0 to 11.4), both were disruptors on defense (1.2 steals to 1.0 steals), and both did a mix of damage around the basket and on the perimeter.  Giannis was obviously the more dangerous scorer by a pretty big margin but the roles they played were not that different for their teams and any number of teams would love to add someone like Mason to their roster today.  He wasn't the "goon squad" - he led the team with 11.4 Win Shares that season which was also 13th overall in the entire league.  You saying he was a "goon to protect the skilled players" as if he wasn't one of the skilled players makes me think you never watched him.  I can't come up with any other explanation.

Maxwell was an early 3&D guy.  His game is archetypal in this era.

As for a power forward who scores with his jumper, plays D, grabs rebounds and can move the ball on offense we've seen probably 100 of them.  The only difference between someone like Oakley and someone like Myles Turner is that Turner stretched his jumper a few more feet and Turner can't rebound as well.

2 hours ago, AHF said:

You are so far off the reservation that I'm not going to keep this up but I will say there are a lot of players whose games have tried to be like Anthony Mason with balanced scoring (interior and perimeter), plus passing, and strong defense from a point forward role. Giannis is a like a super charged Mason to use one example.  Here is Giannis last year in his 8th season compared against Mason's 8th season:

image.png

Obviously, Giannis is better but both were hubs in their teams' offenses (5.9 assists to 5.7 assists), both led their teams in rebounding (11.0 to 11.4), both were disruptors on defense (1.2 steals to 1.0 steals), and both did a mix of damage around the basket and on the perimeter.  Giannis was obviously the more dangerous scorer by a pretty big margin but the roles they played were not that different for their teams and any number of teams would love to add someone like Mason to their roster today.  He wasn't the "goon squad" - he led the team with 11.4 Win Shares that season which was also 13th overall in the entire league.  You saying he was a "goon to protect the skilled players" as if he wasn't one of the skilled players makes me think you never watched him.  I can't come up with any other explanation.

Maxwell was an early 3&D guy.  His game is archetypal in this era.

As for a power forward who scores with his jumper, plays D, grabs rebounds and can move the ball on offense we've seen probably 100 of them.  The only difference between someone like Oakley and someone like Myles Turner is that Turner stretched his jumper a few more feet and Turner can't rebound as well.

So Bucks it is.... I can see that. What I want entertain at all is a Giannis/Anthony Mason comparison 🤣 1st time and hopefully the last those 2 names are paired.

You would've been better off saying Zion😂

• Moderators
2 hours ago, sillent said:

You would've been better off saying Zion😂

What comparison is there with Zion?  Prime Mason is the better rebounder, better defender and better passer.

Zion is the MUCH better scorer.

Not much overlap.

Magic is to Mark Jackson as Giannis is to Mason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2