• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our Biggest Rivals in the East?

sillent

I asked this last year and although I said the Nets the majority of us said the Celtics.

Who do y'all think will be our biggest rivals this year. I know the 76ers and Knicks will be coming at us. I expect us to go at the Bucks but honestly I'm aiming at the Nets once again to be the team we get up for the most.

They are the team that everyone looks at their big 3 and instantly places them at the top. I think that will continue to give us a drive to set the bar on them. 

What do y'all think?

Honestly, I don't want to be rivals with anyone who doesn't want to be rivals with us lol

There is going to be some residue left over from the Knicks series, and the league would be foolish not to spotlight Trae Young going back in to MSG for the first time, so the buzz will definitely be there for that matchup, especially early on.

The Trae Luka matchup will always get headlines, not so much about the teams, but it'd be nice if both teams were really good when we match up.

There is a natural division rivalry with the Heat if they're good, and the Hornets too.

I think the Bucks and Sixers games will be pretty intense too, but neither team probably cares to claim a rivalry with us, as they both will be gunning for Brooklyn.

My final choices are the Knicks and Heat during the regular season. But the Bucks and Nets come playoff time

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Trae-Luka Christmas Day. That's what I'm looking forward to most.

I think it'll be Hawks  Knicks on Christmas day.  The narrative of the Villian (Grench) going back to the garden to steal their Christmas is too good to pass up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Doesn't matter the record of either team.  Boston VS Atlanta.  That's it.

Now, who will be the hardest to beat?  That's different.  Several teams will be after our hide.  Especially those we beat in the playoffs - - Even the champs, who lost to the Hawks in two of our games.

But, the question is, "Who is our biggest rival?"  Boston.  We had rather beat them than any other NBA team.

:MooseGoggles:

• Like 4

Wait! You guys think they gonna give the Hawks a Christmas day game?? That’s adorable ☺️

I don’t think i have ever seen them play on christmas day before, and i’m not getting my hopes up for this Christmas . Anyway gonna say the Knicks are the current biggest rivalry. With all the playoffs trash talk and the fake tough guys and crowd chants.

• Haha 1

I know people think they are overrated but the Heat should always be public enemy number 1 for us. 

In the 17 year history of the Southeast Division, they have dominated as a franchise with 10 Division titles and 13 playoff appearances, highlighted by 3 Championships to none for the other 4 SE teams. 5 finals appearances to 1 for the other 4 teams combined.

Under the leadership of Pat Riley, they have been about as consistent and successful as any team in the league.

By comparison since 04-05:

Hawks have 11 playoff appearances and 2 division titles, no Finals, 2 ECF appearances

Wizards have 9 playoff appearances, 1 division title, no conference finals appearances

Magic have 8 playoff appearances, 4 division titles, 1 finals appearance.

Charlotte has 3 playoff appearances, no division titles, never won a playoff series (since joining the Southeast Division)

That being said, I know that the Division isn't as important in the NBA like other sports, but the results do illustrate the difference in success of being the class of your division versus just another playoff team. A team built to be the best in it's own division is usually in the top 3 -5 teams in the conference when it's said and done.

I think the Heat are for sure a rival for us based on that alone. Orlando and Wash have been thorns too, but not to the same level as the Heat.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I know people think they are overrated but the Heat should always be public enemy number 1 for us. 

In the 17 year history of the Southeast Division, they have dominated as a franchise with 10 Division titles and 13 playoff appearances, highlighted by 3 Championships to none for the other 4 SE teams. 5 finals appearances to 1 for the other 4 teams combined.

Under the leadership of Pat Riley, they have been about as consistent and successful as any team in the league.

By comparison since 04-05:

Hawks have 11 playoff appearances and 2 division titles, no Finals, 2 ECF appearances

Wizards have 9 playoff appearances, 1 division title, no conference finals appearances

Magic have 8 playoff appearances, 4 division titles, 1 finals appearance.

Charlotte has 3 playoff appearances, no division titles, never won a playoff series (since joining the Southeast Division)

That being said, I know that the Division isn't as important in the NBA like other sports, but the results do illustrate the difference in success of being the class of your division versus just another playoff team. A team built to be the best in it's own division is usually in the top 3 -5 teams in the conference when it's said and done.

I think the Heat are for sure a rival for us based on that alone. Orlando and Wash have been thorns too, but not to the same level as the Heat.

Getting two all time greats in Shaq and LBJ really helped the Heat.  I do see the Heat as a rivalry too.  The Heat and the Celtics are even in my grand book of hate. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The Trae Luka matchup will always get headlines, not so much about the teams, but it'd be nice if both teams were really good when we match up.

Watch the game get cancelled from national broadcast after the Mavs get off to a terrible start. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

I believe our Biggest rivals will be NY Knicks.   The reason i say this is because they are the center of the media world and last year, we broke a lot of hearts in NY... and let's not forget...

image.jpeg

While we may have moved on and forgot about it, the Knicks have had all offseason to think about this moment... on their homecourt after Capela told them that we would beat them.   NY has reloaded, gotten better talent at the PG... and they will be back with the mission of trying to embarrass us the way we embarrassed them.   Don't be surprised if these games are physical.

Of course there's always the Heat but they are not checking for us... and there's Philly but until they figure out Simmons, they can't focus on us... and the Nets don't even think we exist.  NY is going to be that team that gets geared up to play us and will play every regular season game like it's game 7 of the finals. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The NBA champs will not look upon us as their biggest rival.

But from our perspective, I believe they have to be considered our biggest rival.

There are other rivalries that are called that for a variety of reasons. But when the question is "which is the biggest," I read into that "which is the most significant and compelling... which is the one for which the team will/should feel most proud if/when they defeat that team?"

There is no other answer than Milwaukee. They won what, but for a referee's misplaced slipper, truly could have been Cinderella's... ours.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, sturt said:

The NBA champs will not look upon us as their biggest rival.

But from our perspective, I believe they have to be considered our biggest rival.

There are other rivalries that are called that for a variety of reasons. But when the question is "which is the biggest," I read into that "which is the most significant and compelling... which is the one for which the team will/should feel most proud if/when they defeat that team?"

There is no other answer than Milwaukee. They won what, but for a referee's misplaced slipper, truly could have been Cinderella's... ours.

Like you said, I doubt that Milwaukee are thinking about us.  I think they are more concerned with Brooklyn.. for had it not been for another misplaced toe... Brooklyn would have beaten Milwaukee without Harden and without Irving.  Milwaukee definitely has to feel like Cinderella.