• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are we gonna do the dynasty draft this year?

pimp

• Moderators

Let's us this thread to see if people are interested.

28 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Can someone explain how this works?  I've seen a lot of folks with players and coaches in their sigs but what do y'all do with them?  Been on this board a long time so I feel kinda foolish asking the question, but I don't get it.  Thanks.  

Basic idea is to draft from all NBA eligible players for now and the future.  You get a roster that doesn't have to worry about balancing cap or free agency, etc. - just age, talent, etc.  Here is how we've done it:

So without further ado, here are the rules:

1.  Draft Format: This is a sixteen round snake draft (15 players, 1 coach), so Draft order goes 1,2,3,4,...11, 11, 10, 9, 8...3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3,..

2. Eligibility: You can Draft anybody that is currently in the league or is or has been draft eligible. So players eligible for the 2019 draft can be drafted as can foreign players drafted in the past or draft eligible in the past who haven't played in the NBA. Players like incoming college freshmen are still not eligible for this draft because they have never been draft eligible and will not be eligible until next year's draft.  As a clarification, you can pick pretty much anyone to coach.

3. Making Your Picks/Discussion and Debate: When it's your turn to draft, you just post (in bold) the player's name and you should do a writeup on why you chose that player. If you don't have time for a writeup, you can just make your selection to keep Draft moving and then post writeup later when you have time. Your writeup should explain why the player rules and how well they fit with your squad and why your team is now going to dominate the '10s. You should always pm the next person in the list after you pick.
Example:
AHF Team Pick: Joe Johnson
I am taking Joe to bolster my scoring. While he is getting older, he will be playing limited minutes on my roster behind James Harden [note: already picked by me so can be discussed] and will still be able to dominate smaller wings like Avery Bradley [note: already selected so can be named]. Health is a concern but in round 11 there isn’t a lot of depth on the perimeter so this pick makes all the sense in the world.  Next person on the list has been PM'd

Discussion of picks is encouraged but do not discuss undrafted players to avoid influencing future picks. So, for example, if Wilt is picked #1 then it is a breach of draft etiquette to start discussion other available centers or how MJ is still available, etc. If you are explaining why you picked Wilt, you need to just generally address other available players or use the word "Player" as a substitute for someone specific.

Example: AHF Team Selects:  Dominique Wilkins. I took Nique because he was so dominant in the playoffs, and I don't think that Player would hold up as well as him when guarded by other elite picks. Next person on the list has been PM'd.  (Note:  Nique would not be a good choice at all as explained below).

We will keep a separate thread with a summary of all picks for easy reference.

4. Time Frame/Finances: You get the player as they are and their projected potential/output for their projected career from here on out. So if you Draft Joe Johnson, you are getting the 2019-20 Joe Johnson who has a very limited number of years left. If you Draft someone from this years draft you might get a young player who may project to play for 10+ years at a high level. Assume for purposes of this draft that all players get paid 1/15th of your salary cap every year so that you don’t need to bypass Michael Conley for Emmanual Mudiay just because Conley is expensive and you already have several high salaries.  This applies equally to coaches.  

5. Roster: Each team gets 15 players and one coach, no restrictions on positions...draft 15 centers if you want.  Your coach pick must be a current NBA head coach.

6. Evaluation Criteria: Draft as if you are starting a new franchise, so consider how your team will play into the future, not just year one. That said, you can choose to weight immediate success or long-term success as you wish.

7. Trades: Teams are free to trade players, coaches or picks but the total number of incoming and outgoing roster spots must be the same. I.e., you can trade your first round pick and fifth round pick for someone’s second and third round picks but can’t trade your first round pick for a second round pick and a tenth round pick. Trades are subject to review but will only be overturned where both a number of posters and the commish (AHF) feel the trade is so unfair that it could ruin balance. Basically, we want to avoid stacking one team up with lopsided trades but trades for fit or due to different projections of talent are fine.

8. Time Limits: We'll start off with an 8 hour time limit for each pick (see note on nighttime shutdown). So when the person before you picks, you have 8 hours from then to make your selection or you are skipped. If you are skipped, the next person's clock starts and they have 8 hours. You may make up skipped picks at any time. Just post who you want when you get back to the thread. We may decrease time limit if the draft drags to a crawl and people aren’t expected to take that long if they are available. Draft moving smoothly, but we'll decide that as a group.
One Caveat: The clock does not run from 11pm-7am EST. So if team 5 makes a selection at 9pm then team 6 has until 1pm the next day (2 hours until 11pm then 6 hours after 7am.)

Second Caveat:  If you miss your pick and make everyone wait 8 hours, if you haven't made that next pick you will only have 1 hour for your next pick. Once you are current on your picks, you will get a full 8 hours again.

9. PM The Next Pick: You should PM the person after you and/or tag them with an @name when you make your pick so they know it's their turn. However, everyone should also follow along with the thread and know when they are up soon. Please make sure you have set your preferences to receive emails when you are PM’d.

10. Anticipated Absences – Advance Picks: If your pick is coming up soon and you'll be away, just ask in thread who will take your pm and be around to post it when it's your turn. I like to pm someone picking after me, and ideally someone that I have 2 picks before they go again so I can pm them 2 choices in case my top choice gets selected.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, AHF said:

Let's us this thread to see if people are interested.

Basic idea is to draft from all NBA eligible players for now and the future.  You get a roster that doesn't have to worry about balancing cap or free agency, etc. - just age, talent, etc.  Here is how we've done it:

So is the point of it really in the discussion of each pick?  Or is there then some way of scoring each team to see who wins?  I guess I'm getting confused on what happens after the draft is over?  Is that just it or is there more to it than the thread discussion of who you pick and why?  

Sorry for being dense.  I guess I've never really paid attention to it but maybe I'm just missing something.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

So is the point of it really in the discussion of each pick?  Or is there then some way of scoring each team to see who wins?  I guess I'm getting confused on what happens after the draft is over?  Is that just it or is there more to it than the thread discussion of who you pick and why?  

Sorry for being dense.  I guess I've never really paid attention to it but maybe I'm just missing something.  

It is more about discussion of each pick, the entire rosters and the design philosophy that the drafter used.  There is no "fantasy" formula where a winner is numerically determined and that would be a tough thing to do since different teams have different target time horizons such as being made to win this year or being made to win 4 years from now, etc.  We have had follow-up threads where people did something like look at the total win shares generated by each roster over a certain time period and rank the results.  Any of that is fair game.

11 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I asked about this on the thread about a month ago and nobody responded. I assumed nobody was interested.

I think the short offseason and regular "events" during the summer (draft, summer league, free agency, etc.) have made this a summer where it is less needed.  As when you raised it, I'm happy to do it but not sure it fits quite as well as with a normal summer given the time that it takes.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AHF said:

It is more about discussion of each pick, the entire rosters and the design philosophy that the drafter used.  There is no "fantasy" formula where a winner is numerically determined and that would be a tough thing to do since different teams have different target time horizons such as being made to win this year or being made to win 4 years from now, etc.  We have had follow-up threads where people did something like look at the total win shares generated by each roster over a certain time period and rank the results.  Any of that is fair game.

I think the short offseason and regular "events" during the summer (draft, summer league, free agency, etc.) have made this a summer where it is less needed.  As when you raised it, I'm happy to do it but not sure it fits quite as well as with a normal summer given the time that it takes.

Makes sense.  Thanks.  I can see how that would be a fun thing to do to pass the time during a slow offseason - especially back when the offseason started prior to the playoffs.   

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

I guess I'm getting confused on what happens after the draft is over? 

I wish there was something more we could do to judge who has the best team vs debating it out. Something more concrete. At the same time, I’m not loving putting their stats in some analytical formula to represent the winner because it’s obviously more than stats, it’s chemistry etc.

But just something more..

23 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I wish there was something more we could do to judge who has the best team vs debating it out. Something more concrete. At the same time, I’m not loving putting their stats in some analytical formula to represent the winner because it’s obviously more than stats, it’s chemistry etc.

But just something more..

Just need a simulation like 2K or something where you could upload every team and the game system could play out an entire season and declare a champion.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Just need a simulation like 2K or something where you could upload every team and the game system could play out an entire season and declare a champion.  

We have had someone run 2k sims before as well.  Going over those results was an interesting part of the discussion that year.  Totally fair game.

49 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I did that one year. I made the entire dynasty teams. It was like the first year I participated. I may have shared the roster with a few back then too. 

I remember a couple of teams still being somewhat dominant because of the individuals they drafted over a real life scheme.

Id do it again though. I simulated the thing and if my memory serves correctly either @LucastheThird won it or @pimp. Hold up, may have been @TheNorthCydeRises as well he just generally drafts big name ballaz! 😃 

I said big name not big brand :indifferent:

• Like 2

• Admin
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I did that one year. I made the entire dynasty teams. It was like the first year I participated. I may have shared the roster with a few back then too. 

I remember a couple of teams still being somewhat dominant because of the individuals they drafted over a real life scheme.

Id do it again though. I simulated the thing and if my memory serves correctly either @LucastheThird won it or @pimp. Hold up, may have been @TheNorthCydeRises as well he just generally drafts big name ballaz! 😃 

I said big name not big brand :indifferent:

It’s bs because I had the best team 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

From 2 years ago.

• Like 1

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

10    Spud2nique    Luka Doncic
11    Spud2nique    Zion Williamson

I’ll take it let’s run!  :dance:

Should be fresh with Mr. Never Made the Playoffs and Mr. First Round Exit.  :biggrin:

(Oof - Did I have Jarret Culver on my roster?!?)

• Haha 1