Who's your buyout guy?

sturt

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, sturt said:

CC appears to endorse this roster needs an injection of defense-first talent... what can I say... "great minds... " 🙂

2022-02-15_07-30-19.png

He's not wrong but I'd make the case that Wright is a better defender than BG.  Hunter is a better defender than Snell or Hill.  That's who those guys replaced.   Although Snell and Hill were probably smarter defenders than Hunter.  

But those barely played in the playoffs and we managed to play defense.  

But the overall point that you need a Crowder, Draymond, Smart type of guy is true. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

He's not wrong but I'd make the case that Wright is a better defender than BG.  Hunter is a better defender than Snell or Hill.  That's who those guys replaced.   Although Snell and Hill were probably smarter defenders than Hunter.  

But those barely played in the playoffs and we managed to play defense.  

But the overall point that you need a Crowder, Draymond, Smart type of guy is true. 

Well, Solo played a good deal in the playoffs. 

I had a feeling that we missed guys who were defensively minded. 

• Premium Member

I remain astonished... dumbfounded... flabbergasted...

That evidently no one claimed Bembry off of waivers.

None. Thirty teams. Every one of them passed.

If it had been any other of Bembry's seasons, it wouldn't have even occurred to me to monitor it.

But his defense has always been superior, and his main deficit has been turnovers--3+ per 100 possessions the last three seasons. He's friggin cut that in half... 1.5 per.

It used to be you could also ding him for his 3pt%, but about 1000 minutes logged for the season at this point, and he's 15/36.

You still can ding him for his free throw shooting, which has never eclipsed 70% even going back to his St. Joe's years. He's 60% this season.

But that's it.

Obviously, I've championed him coming back to ATL. Figured that was a long shot b/c someone would scoop him up ahead of us in the waiver wire order. Didn't happen. Ahead of us nor behind us.

So, I suppose that's solid evidence that he still shouldn't cost any more than a minimum contract. But I'm just wondering what our GM is waiting on. Was it that he's more interested in a Tyreke Evans who just became available? Or is there some other option... someone who has an opt-out playing overseas?

Curiouser and curiouser for high-patience [*wink*] people like me.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

contenders get dibs.  I'm sure he'd rather play for bud again too. 

Right. I'm just groaning b/c it didn't have to be that way, and until I know that TS has some better idea, the groan will just get longer. (hehe)

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, BangHolman said:

Tyreke. Evans.

Difficult to imagine a player could be away from the game since 2019, and still come back prepared to make a difference.

But it might be the best of several not-all-that-compelling options. For what it's worth, he's always been a solid defender.

Didn't realize this until just now.... maybe others did... the last head coach Tyreke played for? Yep. His last team was IND.

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, sturt said:

Didn't realize this until just now.... maybe others did... the last head coach Tyreke played for? Yep. His last team was IND.

Reading up on that... not getting the impression that McM would likely go to bat for bringing Tyreke in. Not that I'm seeing a stormy relationship, but McM suspended Tyreke for a game for being late once, and let it be known on at least one occasion that he'd had a private one-on-one with Tyreke coaxing him to be more aggressive. So, not stormy... but maybe chilly.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, sturt said:

Reading up on that... not getting the impression that McM would likely go to bat for bringing Tyreke in. Not that I'm seeing a stormy relationship, but McM suspended Tyreke for a game for being late once, and let it be known on at least one occasion that he'd had a private one-on-one with Tyreke coaxing him to be more aggressive. So, not stormy... but maybe chilly.

That just seems like he cares though.   Hopefully with the 2 years to think about it Tyreke appreciates it but you never know. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

That just seems like he cares though.   Hopefully with the 2 years to think about it Tyreke appreciates it but you never know. 

Honestly, I don't see any other half-way reasonable option to add a potentially legitimate rotation-level player... at least what I  would consider a legitimate rotation-level player. Every other wing that's currently on the market someone conventional wisdom says you'd sign to be part of your 3rd unit, at best and if at all.

*smh*

• Premium Member

Problem likely is that, as opposed to Bembry who we simply could have claimed off of waivers, TS likely will have to engage in a bidding war and with other teams that have a stronger argument that they're contenders. So, whether for that reason or b/c McM didn't have the most positive of experiences with the guy... or both... I'm pretty bear-ish on Tyreke wearing red and yeller.

• Premium Member

I may have stumbled onto someone finally who is available, seemingly signable, and who checks the boxes of "high motor," "gritty," "strong defender," and "productive." And overlooked.

The Bulls signed him for 21-22 originally, but gave up on him after just 16 games... but the Bulls were trying to make him a small-ball 5, when all of his plaudits with the Nets last season had come at the 3 and 4.

Alize Johnson.

Less than 12 months ago, he was applauded as a something of a revelation to the Nets' roster. I'm not persuaded that that was a hoax. I could be wrong. But it just seems he's went from a good situation to a bad one. Actuallly, "ones," since he did have an inexplicable 5-game cup of coffee with the Wizards.

Here's some of what was getting said about him last May:

2022-02-16_23-11-09.png

2022-02-16_23-12-11.png

2022-02-16_23-13-13.png

2022-02-16_23-14-38.png

2022-02-16_23-15-36.png