• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

Who's your buyout guy?

sturt

The worst thing about the G League if you want to protect your players, only the 2 players you have on two way contrats are safe.  You can send down players under NBA contracts (see JJ).

The best thing about the G League is the same thing if you are looking to add a player to your roster.  These are not "buy out" players.  These are "call up" players.

Every G League team has several players available.  A few veteran NBA players and a multitude of young men who, for the love of the game, are playing regularly right now!

No one there might fit what we want.  It is another option.  I'm sure scouts are watching.

:hi:

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

What about Chaundee Brown?

Hmmm... wellll.............

My perspective is that the open slot desperately needs to be filled by a player who

- Has some history of holding down a job in some NBA team's rotation

- Projects, then, to actually be on the floor and in our rotation from day one (... and thus is not predestined for 3rd unit status from day one, as would be an ultra-high percentage of those not currently occupying an NBA roster spot)

- Will represent, by almost any measure, a new defensive asset, likely to improve our perimeter defense, and all the better if he's also solid in the post

Complicating our situation, any legitimate options meeting those standards who are on the market or expected to be soon are also going to be coveted by other teams, and so that competition quite possibly will prevent them from coming to ATL, given what we can offer money-wise + what we can offer role-wise + what we can offer in terms of certainty that we'll be making a deep playoff run.

All this leads me back to Alize Johnson, and not because I'm persuaded he clearly satisfies all those conditions just laid out above, but because he seems to be the best of a lot of not-so-compelling options.

It may help, too, that unlike Tyreke, it doesn't appear that there was ever any chill in his relationship with the head coach while he was in IND.

Submitted without comment...

Nets waived Jevon Carter today to make room for Dragic... I wouldnt mind him in CP to guard Rife.. Hes a pesty defender, who gave Trae fits in College.. So He would definitely be good practice guy.. lol..

• Premium Member

It's not been reported in any of the normal outlets as far as I've seen, but the box score for ATL tonight indicates that Iwundu is back with us... ostensibly, signed to a contract through the end of the season since he's filling the one open roster slot, and anyone not on the roster by Tuesday (as I understand it) won't be eligible for the post season roster.

2022-02-27_10-23-34.png

Not a big Iwundu fan here.

Of course, it's not like there's any overwhelming no-brainer option out there, but if they liked him that much, then you'd think he'd have long ago been re-signed. Seems more plausible that Schlenk was waiting/hoping for some other option to shake loose, and that just didn't happen.

Is he a better option than Bembry would have been?

He's bigger than Bembry, but Bembry's both a better defender and, this year anyhow, a better offensive asset.

But if size matters, as it apparently does... Alize was the better option, imo.

Oh well.

Truth is, we all have ascended surely to the premise that McM isn't playing more than 10 guys regular minutes in the post season regardless.

So, the fact that our 3rd string has three wings that you really couldn't feel good about--none--if you had an injury that forced them into the rotation. is mitigated... ie, for as long as Huerter, Bogdanovich, and Hunter stay healthy... and with those, Young, Wright, and Williams in the backcourt and Collins, Gallinari, Capela and Okongwu in the front court.

That's your ten.

Effectively, then, where the 2020-21 roster that beat the Knicks and Sixers and made it to the EC Finals had Solomon Hill occasionally getting rotation-level minutes, and in a pinch, Tony Snell... ie, since Hunter was mostly sidelined, as was Reddish.

This roster replaces Hill with Hunter, and likely ratchets down some minutes from Williams in favor of Wright.

That's certainly theoretically a net gain, and I should be a happy camper.

But I'm just not. The Bembry thing really just gets my goat. You could have had a legitimate rotation guy (this season anyhow) just by claiming his minimum salary off of waivers, but you passed. Not quite mind-blowing, but almost.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

I guess Shlenk isn't going to sign anyone.  The deadline to signed waived players is tomorrow.

Feel like he'll ultimately sign Skylar to a contract if nothing else... no point in going into the postseason without a break-in-case-of-emergency 15th man.

• Like 1

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, sturt said:

Feel like he'll ultimately sign Skylar to a contract if nothing else... no point in going into the postseason without a break-in-case-of-emergency 15th man.

Can two-way players not play in the playoffs if their contracts aren't picked up by tomorrow?

On 2/27/2022 at 1:20 AM, sturt said:

The Bembry thing really just gets my goat. You could have had a legitimate rotation guy (this season anyhow) just by claiming his minimum salary off of waivers, but you passed. Not quite mind-blowing, but almost.

I don't get why the Hawks wouldn't have picked him up off waivers unless he left town bitter at the franchise.  Seems like a no-brainer upgrade to someone like TLC.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Can two-way players not play in the playoffs if their contracts aren't picked up by tomorrow?

I could dig it up, but I'm about 75% certain they cannot. Only your 15-man. @JayBirdHawk what say you?

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't get why the Hawks wouldn't have picked him up off waivers unless he left town bitter at the franchise.  Seems like a no-brainer upgrade to someone like TLC.

I know, right?

Can't make any sense of it, me. But then again, I'm left to wonder if there's some advantage to letting him hit the open market that gets overlooked... like, MIL obviously wanted him, so why didn't they go ahead and claim him off waivers??? Dunno.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

I could dig it up, but I'm about 75% certain they cannot. Only your 15-man. @JayBirdHawk what say you?

I know, right?

Can't make any sense of it, me. But then again, I'm left to wonder if there's some advantage to letting him hit the open market that gets overlooked... like, MIL obviously wanted him, so why didn't they go ahead and claim him off waivers??? Dunno.

2 way players are ineligible for the playoffs unless contract converted. I don't know of they have to be converted by tomorrow to ne eligible.

I think we can sign a player after the 1st if they weren't a 'waiver/cut' player. Example: a player that wasn't signed to a team all year, we can sign them.  I think though. Haven't had time to really research it though.

• Premium Member
On 2/17/2022 at 11:14 AM, sturt said:

Hmmm... wellll.............

My perspective is that the open slot desperately needs to be filled by a player who

- Has some history of holding down a job in some NBA team's rotation

- Projects, then, to actually be on the floor and in our rotation from day one (... and thus is not predestined for 3rd unit status from day one, as would be an ultra-high percentage of those not currently occupying an NBA roster spot)

- Will represent, by almost any measure, a new defensive asset, likely to improve our perimeter defense, and all the better if he's also solid in the post

Complicating our situation, any legitimate options meeting those standards who are on the market or expected to be soon are also going to be coveted by other teams, and so that competition quite possibly will prevent them from coming to ATL, given what we can offer money-wise + what we can offer role-wise + what we can offer in terms of certainty that we'll be making a deep playoff run.

All this leads me back to Alize Johnson, and not because I'm persuaded he clearly satisfies all those conditions just laid out above, but because he seems to be the best of a lot of not-so-compelling options.

It may help, too, that unlike Tyreke, it doesn't appear that there was ever any chill in his relationship with the head coach while he was in IND.

Submitted without comment...

Good for Alize...

...much more likely to get some significant minutes, all things considered...

Bad for the Hawks... in my "humble" opinion.

I could see Mays getting the 15th spot and then Travis signing Cat Barber to a two-way deal.  Barber is averaging 8.5apg and shooting 43% from three this season in the G-League.

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

I could see Mays getting the 15th spot and then Travis signing Cat Barber to a two-way deal.  Barber is averaging 8.5apg and shooting 43% from three this season in the G-League.

Or Tillman.  That dude has been beasting in CP.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

CLARIFICATION not previously understood by yours truly, at least...

The pivotal question that divides those players who are playoff eligible if signed for the remainder of the season and those who are not is "Was this player waived prior to the end of business on March 1?"

Here's Hoops Rumors elaborating... good read...

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/03/players-waived-after-tuesday-wont-be-playoff-eligible.html