• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who's your buyout guy?

sturt

• Premium Member

I don't know how to explain this... why would anyone... Hawks or otherwise... prefer to negotiate with Bembry when his contract is minimum anyhow??? But Keith Smith normally is a reliable source.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

@macdaddy, current rotation has been missing a wing ever since Cam was traded. And of course, we keep getting scorched by teams' outside shooting.

To me, it's a no-brainer.

Yes.   also, they outscored us by 19 points in the 3rd quarter.   But 11 of those were at the free throw line.

Take a guess how many trips to the line we made in the quarter.   We're playing scared. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Bembry's always been a defensive asset.

He's having a season, though, where he's resolved his turnover issues which were huge, and is making 3s.

Given that new page turned, I have no idea how ATL wouldn't be salivating to bring him in... and that he already has (seemingly good) relationships with his original team is just icing on that cake.

• Like 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, sturt said:

Bembry's always been a defensive asset.

He's having a season, though, where he's resolved his turnover issues which were huge, and is making 3s.

Given that new page turned, I have no idea how ATL wouldn't be salivating to bring him in... and that he already has (seemingly good) relationships with his original team is just icing on that cake.

He's made 15, 3s on the season.  41% is nothing to sneeze at but it's a pretty small sample.  I've been burned before with his shooting.  

Augustin has shot 39% from 3 in the playoffs.  Bembry yet to see the playoffs.   

I always like Bembry though so if they bring him back i'll be happy but I'd always rather have more shooting.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, warcore said:

You should root for whoever the Hawks are playing against... you'd be thrilled. 

Can't argue with that.  We are among the top 10 worst teams in both FG% allowed and 3pt% allowed.  (7th and 5th worst respectively)

We are also among the top 10 best teams in FG% and 3pt%.  (6th and 3rd respectively)

So Atlanta Hawks games should generally feature great shooting on both ends of the floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Why is that, though?

How does one make the case that the crying crying crying need on this team is not stronger defense?

because our defensive issues are as much effort and scheme as they are ability.   How are we going to have Wright and Bembry on the floor at the same time?  Are we just going to post up Gallo every play when the bench is in?  

If we had actual scorers other than Trae then I could see the need for a defender who's an offensive liability (and i hope i'm wrong about bembry but i'm not convinced) but i just don't see where we can afford that.   I mean were we better last year with Rondo or Lou on the floor?

Like i said I"m not saying i'm 100% right on this but the eye test to me shows that it's not just defense that's a problem.   But as we've seen before this roster CAN play good D.   I'm less convinced that guys like Wright and Bembry can learn to score effectively.   

• Premium Member

Why can't we have both...Bembry and Augustine, dump TLC. 

Yes, we have Delon at backup PG, but sometimes watching the offense can be so anemic. Any Significant Ball pressure renders hum useless since he's not aggressive enough.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why can't we have both...Bembry and Augustine, dump TLC. 

Yes, we have Delon at backup PG, but sometimes watching the offense can be so anemic. Any Significant Ball pressure renders hum useless since he's not aggressive enough.

Yes!   Please please please.   

I guess a simpler way to say what i'm saying is bad shots, turnovers lead to transition offense for the other team and we get killed.   Turn some of those bad shots into good ones or even better yet trips to the line and all of a sudden our job on the defensive end gets easier. 

• Premium Member

You're not going to depend on certain players for offense. But you still benefit from having them on your roster anyhow. I believe Delon, Big2O and, yes, Bembry if he were added all qualify as net positives, even though they're only adequate offensively.

The 2nd unit will always have either LouWill, BogBog and/or KVon... all of whom have in their histories evidence that they're backcourt assets capable of carrying a team occasionally... and then, Gallo.

Most other teams' 2nd units don't have anything to compete with even that.

I don't see McM playing any more than 10 guys. I just don't. That's his max. So, Trae + Delon @ point... KVon + BogBog + Hunter + Bembry [or insert other name here] @ wing... JC + Gallo @ PF... CC + Big2O @ C... with LouWill getting occasional minutes depending on his own health as well as that of others on the roster... those are the guys who either are going to get it done, or it's not going to get done.

Thus, no actual room for Augustin unless you're kicking one of those to the curb and out of the rotation.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, sturt said:

You're not going to depend on certain players for offense. But you still benefit from having them on your roster anyhow. I believe Delon, Big2O and, yes, Bembry if he were added all qualify as net positives, even though they're only adequate offensively.

The 2nd unit will always have either LouWill, BogBog and/or KVon... all of whom have in their histories evidence that they're backcourt assets capable of carrying a team occasionally... and then, Gallo.

Most other teams' 2nd units don't have anything to compete with even that.

I don't see McM playing any more than 10 guys. I just don't. That's his max. So, Trae + Delon @ point... KVon + BogBog + Hunter + Bembry [or insert other name here] @ wing... JC + Gallo @ PF... CC + Big2O @ C... with LouWill getting occasional minutes depending on his own health as well as that of others on the roster... those are the guys who either are going to get it done, or it's not going to get done.

Thus, no actual room for Augustin unless you're kicking one of those to the curb and out of the rotation.

DJ would mainly take Lou's minutes imo.   

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

DJ would mainly take Lou's minutes imo.   

I suppose I'm with you in spirit... off-season, before Delon was obtained, I was one who advocated for the wisdom of making your 2nd unit guys as close to a clone of your 1st unit guys as you could... and I pointed to how LouWill indeed had been so much more like Trae on the floor than Rondo had been.

But I feel like we're past the point where it makes much sense.

The overarching problem has been, until very recently, McM didn't have his full expected rotation available to him. (And of course, now we have JC's situation. *sigh* )

So I want as little tinkering with roles as possible.

I want Delon to continue to become more and more enmeshed with the 2nd unit as a PG, his intended role from Day 1 that he really didn't get to assert until Cam's exit.

If we bring-in a new back-up PG, then there's a ripple effect to that that I'm not confident is a net positive compared to what patience will eventually achieve. (At least, I'm not confident if that's a DJ Augustin kind of asset... I actually would be intrigued if it were an offensive asset like a Dragic... which isn't happening, of course.)

The difference with Bembry is that the hole in the rotation is already there, and it needs to get filled as soon as possible by the highest quality asset we can feasibly obtain. It has to be somebody. Well, it doesn't have to be, but to not fill it is to put more strain on the existing rotation.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, GameTime said:

This is all worthless discussion. Nate isn't changing his rotation for nobody.

He played Solo last season.

Cam's health improved enough that he got the call over Solo this season to a large extent.

No Solo. No Cam.

There is a void in the rotation.

They've made do. But that's meant playing LouWill more than is probably best for guy on the doorstep of retirement to be playing.

It's time to fill that void.