Who's your buyout guy?

sturt

16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Realistically who would sign, D.J. Augustin. 

I got Dragic, Favors, and Gary Harris.

• Derrick Favors: The Thunder held onto Favors through the deadline in case they needed his expiring contract as salary ballast, but a respected veteran like him would probably prefer to try to join a winner. Sam Presti tends to grant such requests, especially when he's trying to tank, but Favors has struggled over the past few seasons and probably shouldn't be in a playoff rotation anymore. 

• Goran Dragic: Dragic has wanted a buyout for quite some time, and after getting traded to San Antonio, his wish has been granted. Dallas is the immediate favorite given his friendship with Luka Doncic, but watch out for Miami, who can now legally re-sign him thanks to the San Antonio trade. 

• Gary Harris: Harris flat out forgot how to shoot in his last few years with the Nuggets, but once he got to Orlando, he rediscovered the form that once helped make him one of the NBA's highest-paid shooting guards. Harris brings a little bit of everything offensively and remains a useful defender against most guards. He should be in a playoff rotation if he wants out of Orlando. 
Edited by Spud2nique

• Premium Member
On 2/11/2022 at 8:46 AM, sturt said:

Have to say... DeAndre Bembry's cut his turnovers in half (3.5 per 100 poss to 1.5), and has found some consistent stroke from 3. And we all know he's a demon on defense on the wing.

I'm a new convert to the idea.

If Bumbry is the best option I choose violence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I got Dragic, Favors, and Gary Harris.

• Derrick Favors: The Thunder held onto Favors through the deadline in case they needed his expiring contract as salary ballast, but a respected veteran like him would probably prefer to try to join a winner. Sam Presti tends to grant such requests, especially when he's trying to tank, but Favors has struggled over the past few seasons and probably shouldn't be in a playoff rotation anymore. 

• Goran Dragic: Dragic has wanted a buyout for quite some time, and after getting traded to San Antonio, his wish has been granted. Dallas is the immediate favorite given his friendship with Luka Doncic, but watch out for Miami, who can now legally re-sign him thanks to the San Antonio trade. 

• Gary Harris: Harris flat out forgot how to shoot in his last few years with the Nuggets, but once he got to Orlando, he rediscovered the form that once helped make him one of the NBA's highest-paid shooting guards. Harris brings a little bit of everything offensively and remains a useful defender against most guards. He should be in a playoff rotation if he wants out of Orlando. 

Realistically, none of them will sign. Harris and Dragic got better options and Favors wouldn't get tick here. Also, Favors has another year on his contract as well. 

Edited by NBASupes

50 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Realistically, none of them will sign. Harris and Dragic got better options and Favors wouldn't get tick here. Also, Favors has another year on his contract as well. 

Better options? Dragic to Heat or Mavs I guess.. Harris..? Favors could be a voice in the locker room he tells it how it is he prolly would have said YALL WE PLAYED LIKE $HIT LAST NOGHT THATS UNACCEPTABLE.. and players would listen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Better options? Dragic to Heat or Mavs I guess.. Harris..? Favors could be a voice in the locker room he tells it how it is he prolly would have said YALL WE PLAYED LIKE $HIT LAST NOGHT THATS UNACCEPTABLE.. and players would listen.

Dragic - Mavs or Lakers

Harris - Back to Denver

Favors has another year left on his deal, is he really available?

Edited by NBASupes

Just now, NBASupes said:

Dragic - Mavs or Lakers

And the Lakers are a better situation for him than us? I disagree, with us he can literally let loose on the 2nd unit. We need a point that takes initiative as a backup to Trae. I love Wright but he can’t shoot off the dribble he has to be set, we need a dude that hits like Dragic with the body contorted every which way.

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Harris - Back to Denver

That’s a good fit actually wonder if he’s willing to go back after they shipped him for AG.

• Premium Member

In a buyout situation, there's not much financial concern usually to the decision... so a Dragic or a Harris are almost certainly going to choose a new team on the basis of (1a) how much playing time they think they're going to get and (1b) the likelihood of getting into the playoffs. If there's an outright starting role and there's reason to believe the team will get to the post season, the decision makes itself... unless, of course, there are multiple teams that can meet those qualifications, and in that case, have to suspect the choice is the larger market where there's more attention.

Not saying anything that anyone doesn't already know... or at least I don't think I did.

We don't have a starting role to offer any of the buyout candidates. The best we can do is to offer them a back-up. But the GM's comment about his concern with not messing with the chemistry...

... leaves one to think Schlenk wouldn't be making any promises to anyone that they'd have a back-up slot as they walk in the door.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

In a buyout situation, there's not much financial concern usually to the decision... so a Dragic or a Harris are almost certainly going to choose a new team on the basis of (1a) how much playing time they think they're going to get and (1b) the likelihood of getting into the playoffs. If there's an outright starting role and there's reason to believe the team will get to the post season, the decision makes itself... unless, of course, there are multiple teams that can meet those qualifications, and in that case, have to suspect the choice is the larger market where there's more attention.

Not saying anything that anyone doesn't already know... or at least I don't think I did.

We don't have a starting role to offer any of the buyout candidates. The best we can do is to offer them a back-up. But the GM's comment about his concern with not messing with the chemistry...

... leaves one to think Schlenk wouldn't be making any promises to anyone that they'd have a back-up slot as they walk in the door.

That’s makes sense all around. Due diligence but don’t bring in a Lance 💃. 👍 

Edited by Spud2nique

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Well, in this situ Schlenk should bring up one of the young guys... i.e. JJ.  Unless he's injured too.   Just to see what he got. 

He's been recalled from the GLeague - but I doubt Nate gives him any meaningful minutes. That's just Nate.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Philly's talking like they're keeping Millsap. For now anyways.

As said in another thread a moment ago, though, Schlenk/McM designated Hunter for PF duty when they decided to fill the 15th slot with TLC instead of a big... that was said outright in October.

I look for Hunter, Gallo and JJ to get PF time, then.

So, it's 9:30 CST as I write this... we're now beyond the 48 hour mark, and so waiver claims on Bembry should have been made by now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Philly's talking like they're keeping Millsap. For now anyways.

As said in another thread a moment ago, though, Schlenk/McM designated Hunter for PF duty when they decided to fill the 15th slot with TLC instead of a big... that was said outright in October.

I look for Hunter, Gallo and JJ to get PF time, then.

So, it's 9:30 CST as I write this... we're now beyond the 48 hour mark, and so waiver claims on Bembry should have been made by now.

So you went from Schlenk avatar to Nate. What’s next? Tony Ress? You didn’t feature him already did you? 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, sturt said:

Not sure what's going on... double-checked what we were told about that 48 hour thing, and also the possibility that it is somehow altered if there's a weekend or holiday involved.... nope... there should have been some conclusion reported already.

2022-02-13_11-17-23.png

• Thanks 1