• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

'22 Draft Prospects

h4wkfan

Didn't see a collective '22 thread, and I've been watching quite a bit of college ball lately. More so than usual. This is not an exhaustive list, but figured I'd start the conversation on a couple of guys I would like to see the Hawks targeting. Plus a few takes on those that are being projected to be drafted way to early in my, very, uneducated opinion.

Love [The first 2 may not even come out this year, but I could very easily see teams making first round promises to them]

1) Jaylin Williams - PF/C - Arkansas -  He's really picked up his game since the start of '22 - even more so in the last 10 - going for 14.4 / 10.9 / 2.0 / 1.7 / 1.5 with 45 / 31 / 74 shooting splits. I actually find myself wanting to watch Arkansas games to see him play. Throw on top of that he leads his team (maybe tops in the nation or close to it) in charges taken. A large part of their offense runs through him too - as evident by averaging 2+ assists from the center spot. I don't think he'll ever be a 20ppg scorer, but I could see him having an elite impact on winning basketball. If we pick in the 16+ range this year, and he comes out, I wouldn't be upset if he was our choice. @NBASupes may murder me for this, but I get Horford-lite vibes from him.

2) Julian Strawther - Wing - Gonzaga - My 2nd favorite prospect on Gonzaga, and it's not close. Guy has an absolutely beautiful stroke, and plays off ball at a high level. Given his usage on the team, I think his on ball offense has way more potential than you are seeing at Gonzaga (watch him play in a more ball dominant role w/ Puerto Rico). Has a nifty floater as well in the arsenal that he goes to on dribble drive opportunities. To me, he's NBA ready position wise given that he is playing next to Chet + Timme. He will know his role, and play it effectively with room to grow. Defense is ok, but room to improve. Given his frame and effort he plays with, he has the tools. Any team picking in the 20s would be lucky to have him. Especially when you see guys mocked in the 20s like Kennedy Chandler, Harrison Ingram and JD Davison. Still thinking through a comp for him, but his game stands out. I also like the fit of his potential playing next to Trae. 

3) Justin Bean - Forward - Utah State - This is my 2nd round crush. Guy is a walking bucket that plays a very tough brand of basketball. Putting up 18/10/2.7/1.7/.5 on 56 / 47 / 80 shooting splits. He'll never be a starter, but the goal in the 2nd is to find useful rotation players. This guy could be an absolute gunner off the bench. He rebounds, passes, shoots very well. Doesn't turn the ball over. Everything you want out of a rotation piece. Athleticism will be a hindrance, but with effort and experience, he could become a net neutral defensively off the bench. 

Hate

1) Paolo - I think he'll put up a lot of empty numbers in the pros. I see his fit as being very, very difficult to build a winner around. Playing next to a guy like Bam I think would be an ideal fit in the front court, but I don't see a lot of guys like that out there - especially looking top 5. He's like a worse version of Sabonis to me - and we've seen how much that team wins when the pieces around him aren't great fits.

2) Patrick Baldwin Jr - Hate his game. He has been injured, so maybe that's it. But even then - in his 10 or so games at the level he's playing - he should have performed much better. Negative offensive player. Negative defensive player. Against a lower level of competition. Zero % chance this guy is a top 20 pick to me. I probably wouldn't take him in the 1st. 

I take back my horford comment re: Williams. He seems to be a little less physical, a little less crazy and a slightly better passer than Bobby Portis. Still a very valuable player in the league. 16-20 probably too early. But I still see him as a good pick for anyone in the 20s. 

• 4 weeks later...

I realize why I liked these guys so much. Everyone else in the 20+ range is bleh. The draft overall is bleh. I think Williams will be a useful role player, but that’s the ceiling. And before I really commit to that I’d want to see his measurements at the combine. 

chet is my favorite prospect. But he has tons of faults in his game. I’m more sold on banchero than I was. I likely take him 2 just by default. 

depending on team I could be swayed for Ivey or Jabari at 3/4. Then Duran at 5.

I hope we trade our pick. at our range. Maybe dyson Daniels or Jeremy sochan? They both have major issues in their games. watch schlenk take Christian Braun tho 🤦‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 7:07 PM, Gray Mule said:

Draft is tomorrow night.  Atlanta has the #1 pick.  Draft will be on ESPN at 7 PM.  Dream may take a guard.

👏

Dream get their girls!  #1 Rhyne Howard, a 6'2" all American guard and #15 Naz Hillmon, a 6'2" forward.

WNBA draft was 04-11-2022.  While the Hawks are out of action for the summer these WNBA teams will be playing their season.  Atlanta's entry has been rebuilt completely and are expected to give all their fans a great, entertaining season.

🥰

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All I want out of this draft is an undrafted gem after we trade all our 1sts for an actual upgrade, not a mythical one.

I got my eye on Juzang (UCLA), Devoe (GT).  I also wouldn't be opposed to getting Cockburn. For reasons other than the hilarious joke-name potential.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite?  The big center from Duke.  He's probably gone before our turn.  Maybe a trade?  It's not that far in the future until the draft.  

Hawks have "spare parts" players that may not be back next season as the Hawks make moves to trim the roster and payroll.  

Draft picks are useless if Nate refuses to play them.  Will we trade all of them, including the two from last summer, for some aged, overpaid veteran that he will use?

🧑‍🔧

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Thanks 1