• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young vs. James Harden.

Diesel

• Premium Member

For the Longest time, my secret comparative to Trae Young was James Harden.  That's because Harden is the only other player in NBA lore (Back to the real Big O) who could dominate the scoring and the assists stats.   Trae is a high 20 ppg/9+ apg player and Harden is a high 20 ppg/9+apg player.    Trae used the PNR...  Harden in Houston used the PNR.   In fact, Clint came over from Houston and fit seemlessly on offense. 

Here's the difference though...  Harden does a whole lot of his offense on the move.   He works on the move.   His PNR is more dynamic because he uses it on the move.   Harden is a beast in transition (eye test).   Where as Trae doesn't do his work on the move. His offense is a little more passive.    We barely have a transition game because in transition, all of our scorers run to the three point line.   When Trae does move on offense and allow the ball to move, he looks really good like against Toronto. 

I think Trae has pockets that Harden can't duplicate though.   Trae's midrange is deadly.   And his GOAT FLOAT is just as said...  This is why Trae is more like a Steve Nash offensively than Harden.  Harden will give you that transition play because he doesn't have a floater that makes the PNR twice as dangerous like Trae's ... and Trae doesn't have the transition play that Harden has. 

• Like 2

Hardin is super strong like "The King" and will run over people.  He is much more the bully than Trae.

To me, this is the greatest difference.  Anything other than this, Trae can do just as well as Hardin and some things better.

:sun:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Diesel said:

For the Longest time, my secret comparative to Trae Young was James Harden.  That's because Harden is the only other player in NBA lore (Back to the real Big O) who could dominate the scoring and the assists stats.   Trae is a high 20 ppg/9+ apg player and Harden is a high 20 ppg/9+apg player.    Trae used the PNR...  Harden in Houston used the PNR.   In fact, Clint came over from Houston and fit seemlessly on offense. 

Here's the difference though...  Harden does a whole lot of his offense on the move.   He works on the move.   His PNR is more dynamic because he uses it on the move.   Harden is a beast in transition (eye test).   Where as Trae doesn't do his work on the move. His offense is a little more passive.    We barely have a transition game because in transition, all of our scorers run to the three point line.   When Trae does move on offense and allow the ball to move, he looks really good like against Toronto. 

I think Trae has pockets that Harden can't duplicate though.   Trae's midrange is deadly.   And his GOAT FLOAT is just as said...  This is why Trae is more like a Steve Nash offensively than Harden.  Harden will give you that transition play because he doesn't have a floater that makes the PNR twice as dangerous like Trae's ... and Trae doesn't have the transition play that Harden has. 

This is true and I hate this. 

Trae loves to run back to the ball in transition which kills the, and the few fast breaks we do get result in either a Trae assist to a leak out at the rim, or a 3 pointer like you said. Not enough rim running with the ball in hand. That's Harden's game, and he is big/strong enough to make a living doing it. Trae is a lot is easier to block at the rim which is why he cant just bowl in to the paint through contact.

I do wish some of our bigger wings would attack the rim on the break more often and then kick it out to the open 3. That shot will always be there. Bogi/Gallo love to stop running at the 3 point line with no one else back to rebound

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Diesel said:

I said Trae was like mini Harden and got roasted on here.. lol

Thats not even a shot at Trae.. 

Harden is an offensive monster...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Trae is a lot is easier to block at the rim which is why he cant just bowl in to the paint through contact.

Never thought about it this way... but it does make sense on his part...

But Our wings have no excuse.  I cringe everytime I see them stop at the three point line on a 2 on 1 break.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, terrell said:

I said Trae was like mini Harden and got roasted on here.. lol

Thats not even a shot at Trae.. 

Harden is an offensive monster...

Statwise they are comparable... 

but Gameplay wise, you deserved the roasting. 

Harden puts up High Ppg and Apg stats just like Trae but they get them in different ways.   The only thing that's similar is that they both can use the PNR but even that's different. 

• Moderators

An importance difference between Trae and Harden that I expect to play out is how they are able to work with their teammates.

Harden hated Dwight Howard (and vice versa) and couldn't wait to be away from each other.

Everyone in Houston hated Harden and he didn't respect any of them; they couldn't be happier when he left.

Chris Paul hated Harden and Harden couldn't stand Paul and couldn't wait to be away from each other.

Russell Westbrook hated Harden and vice versa and couldn't wait to be away from each other.

Now just 20 or so games into playing with Kevin Durant, apparently Harden decided he couldn't possibly get along with Durant and demanded a trade (sandbagging the team with deliberately terrible play when they didn't move him fast enough).  And Durant has made it pretty clear (with the ASG stuff, etc.) that he is very happy Harden is gone.

Regardless of how good Harden is, it is tough if you can't get people to buy into playing with you.  Honeymoon phase has started for the Sixers but will Harden again leave a trail of dysfunction with Embiid and his teammates in Philly?

I'd like to think that if Trae played with a group of All-NBA players as diverse as the names that Harden has played with that he would be able to get along better and to coexist better with them than Harden has done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1