• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best possible offseason for all ready to make moves teams in the NBA

NBASupes

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I will be watching Gobert closely in this series vs the Mavericks.

You mean to say, you'll be watching Gobert being rendered a liability on defense over and over again? Yeah, we've seen that movie for the last 4 seasons in a row; it won't be anything new to those of us that pay attention. That's why I argued so vehemently last offseason that Bam is a better playoff defensive center than Gobert, by a mile. 

Just say no to overpaid and overrated aging Gobert. 

Edited by RandomFan

• Premium Member
On 4/8/2022 at 9:29 AM, NBASupes said:

He's a drop center, I don't know one center outside of Horford who can defend on the perimeter at a decent level and even he can't stay in front of the scorers in the NBA on the perimeter. Protecting the paint is a million times more value than protecting the perimeter in terms of impact on defense. 

Gobert has never been an liability on defense in my eyes. 

He's much better than Capela. Much better. 45 wins to 30 wins. With Trae, I truly think those wins would go up to 50 win and maybe 55. 

Of course he makes us a contender. That's easy money. 

You talk about Gobert like he's available. What do you think we'd have to give up to get him? Cap, Collins, and 1-2 FRP? Then resign Gallo. Our power forward spot would be bare bones and we'd be completely tapped out on money for years.

Just now, SalvorMallow said:

You talk about Gobert like he's available. What do you think we'd have to give up to get him? Cap, Collins, and 1-2 FRP? Then resign Gallo. Our power forward spot would be bare bones and we'd be completely tapped out on money for years.

No. More like Capela or JC and Kevin for Gobert. Maybe Charlotte 1st. His age and contract hurts his trade value

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 4/16/2022 at 7:59 PM, RandomFan said:

You mean to say, you'll be watching Gobert being rendered a liability on defense over and over again? Yeah, we've seen that movie for the last 4 seasons in a row; it won't be anything new to those of us that pay attention. That's why I argued so vehemently last offseason that Bam is a better playoff defensive center than Gobert, by a mile. 

Just say no to overpaid and overrated aging Gobert. 

Yeah, the best defender in the NBA is a liability on defense lmao... did you watch the game?  He was elite.  The rest of the Jazz are awful, as usual.  This play perfectly sums up the Jazz defense: https://streamable.com/9jhtr1

Gobert switches nicely onto Finney-Smith, locks him down, and the rest of the defense gets caught ball watching and the Mavs drain an open 3.  Rinse and repeat.  Meanwhile outside a couple miscommunication on lobs he locked down Powell in the paint and no one on Dallas had success scoring inside.  Don't conflate the shitty Jazz defense with Gobert's defense.  If Gobert lands on a well-coached team with talent on the roster, they will be an instant contender.  The fact he's been on the Jazz who have some of the worst perimeter defenders in the league outside of maybe Portland has colored a lot of peoples views on how elite he is.  

• Premium Member

Just watch Jazz games and you see opponents trying crazy layups, floaters from the free throw line, and all kinds of altered shots because of his presence.  His impact shows up in advanced stats but people always wanna dismiss him.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

His impact is seen.  The question is cost.  Is he $20+ mill/year better than Capela and is it worth giving up the package it'd take to get him?...and how do we fill in the rest of the roster

.....we keep asking/saying this^ but no one is responding to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, kg01 said:

His impact is seen.  The question is cost.  Is he $20+ mill/year better than Capela and is it worth giving up the package it'd take to get him?

Well, his impact is clearly not seen by a lot of people here...

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

.....we keep asking/saying this^ but no one is responding to it.

I mean, typically when talking about player fit people aren't expected to go full GM and complete a roster rebuild.  Also, I have no idea what Utah would want in a trade so it's pretty much impossible to say how to backfill who goes out without knowing... let's say we give up Bogi/Capela and a pick for Gobert.  We extend Wright for 2 years at $9M/year, extend Hunter for $18M/year for 4 years, figure out how to get off the Gallo $5M dead cap, bring Sharife up, and you have ~$10M left to fill out the roster that does not have glaring holes.  I'd vote for gritty defenders and another ball handling wing if we could find it.  I think this roster could contend with some luck and development

image.png

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, JeffS17 said:

I mean, typically when talking about player fit people aren't expected to go full GM and complete a roster rebuild.  Also, I have no idea what Utah would want in a trade so it's pretty much impossible to say how to backfill who goes out without knowing... let's say we give up Bogi/Capela and a pick for Gobert.  We extend Wright for 2 years at $9M/year, extend Hunter for $18M/year for 4 years, figure out how to get off the Gallo $5M dead cap, bring Sharife up, and you have ~$10M left to fill out the roster that does not have glaring holes.  I'd vote for gritty defenders and another ball handling wing if we could find it.  I think this roster could contend with some luck and development

image.png

And to add to this, I think this is a roster with a very high floor, and that means regular season success = more playoff games at home and less whining about scheduling

• Premium Member

Oh and this is all assuming Ressler is unwilling to go into the tax at all, which I believe is the premise of the "how can we afford him" question, even though Ressler has publicly committed to going into the tax if that's what it takes to compete

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

image.png

Trae would have to have the shoulders of atlas to carry this roster on offense. I like the idea of shoring up the defense, but we go into scoring droughts with bogi and Gallo on the roster, imagine how much of a struggle it would be to score with Trae sitting a few minutes for a breather. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

Trae would have to have the shoulders of atlas to carry this roster on offense. I like the idea of shoring up the defense, but we go into scoring droughts with bogi and Gallo on the roster, imagine how much of a struggle it would be to score with Trae sitting a few minutes for a breather. 

Still have Bogi on the bench, but yes our team would be way better balanced.  Teams with 25 ranked defenses do not win anything.  If we played Cooper some this year, we’d at least have an idea what we have with him

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Still have Bogi on the bench, but yes our team would be way better balanced.  Teams with 25 ranked defenses do not win anything.  If we played Cooper some this year, we’d at least have an idea what we have with him

Huh, how are you still having Bogi on the bench? In your scenario you traded him with Cap for Gobert amd you're filling in the rest of your roster with 'gritty defenders'. To @SalvorMallow point, where's the rest of the offense coming from. Trae currently has to put up a Herculean effort with Bogi and Gallo.

You'd be depending on Johnson and Cooper who played 'minutes' in their 1st NBA year to have amazing 2nd years for us to contend?

So no, this is not a more balanced team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Huh, how are you still having Bogi on the bench? In your scenario you traded him with Cap for Gobert amd you're filling in the rest of your roster with 'gritty defenders'. To @SalvorMallow point, where's the rest of the offense coming from. Trae currently has to put up a Herculean effort with Bogi and Gallo.

You'd be depending on Johnson and Cooper who played 'minutes' in their 1st NBA year to have amazing 2nd years for us to contend?

So no, this is not a more balanced team.

Yeah, no Bogi, that's my bad.  I originally wrote a scenario where we trade JC/Gobert instead and forgot which one I posted.  Either way, still a more balanced team.  Our defense would be top 5 and offense still top 10 with Trae.  The pieces to fill out the roster would be important just like any star player trade or scenario.

Adding another playmaker/scorer is going to get us to where the Nets are right now.  They have two of the most talented players in the league but will not get over the hump because their defense is so bad.  

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Adding another playmaker/scorer is going to get us to where the Nets are right now. 

The good ones to adequately take the scoring burden off Trae won't come cheap and we won't have the capspace to get one.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The good ones to adequately take the scoring burden off Trae won't come cheap and we won't have the capspace to get one.

Yeah, and I'm saying we don't need another one more than we need an elite 3x DPOY top 5 all time defender.  Kev can continue developing as can Hunter to help take the offensive load off Trae.