• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

With all the (good) problems that we now have with overcrowding I wonder what we will do with two new small forward players - - Tyrese Martin - 6'6" and A J Griffin - 6'6" along with our 6'1" Point Guard - Sharife Cooper and our 6'8" PF - Jalen Johnson.  

Does the Hawks have enough free agents leaving to make room?  I would love to watch these four young men have a go at being regular players for Atlanta.  We appear to be headed for the "win now" mode.  Still, wouldn't it be wonderful if these four got to play and they all end up playing really great!😎

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Gray Mule said:

With all the (good) problems that we now have with overcrowding I wonder what we will do with two new small forward players - - Tyrese Martin - 6'6" and A J Griffin - 6'6" along with our 6'1" Point Guard - Sharife Cooper and our 6'8" PF - Jalen Johnson.  

Does the Hawks have enough free agents leaving to make room?  I would love to watch these four young men have a go at being regular players for Atlanta.  We appear to be headed for the "win now" mode.  Still, wouldn't it be wonderful if these four got to play and they all end up playing really great!😎

Our current guaranteed players:

Trae,

Murray, Bogi

Hunter, Huerter, Griffin

Collings, JJ

CC, OO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

I do not think we are in Finals or Bust mode.  Our top two players now are 24 and 26.  (a) Murray has two years left on his deal, but we will control his bird rights beyond that.  

(b) I just don't see these next two years as our only window.  Not at all.  

Just got sat down from an all-morning road trip, and catching up...........

(a) I think what's assumed, but shouldn't be, in that analysis is that Murray ends up being 2021-22 Murray, and not something more like his previous 4 playing seasons, or worse, more like his one lost season to injury.

You're assuming we'll resign the guy, but if we fail to make the NBA Finals in these next two years and he didn't prove to be the asset that he's expected to be, that's a recipe for a whole new re-calibration.

Everyone is happy happy right now, and good vibes are flowing, of course... which is great... I'm happy too. I'm happy, though, for the specific reason that I believe this franchise might be on the verge of its most significant and rewarding outcomes ever... if there is disappointment, that's going to have ramifications.

(b) I agree that I don't see these next two years as our only window, in the sense that, as you've suggested, these guys are so young... but given what I just said above, I suggest that any additional window depends on big success in these next two years, otherwise there's going to be another overhaul. In other words, if this turns out well this season or next, then there's every reason to believe that the window will be extended; and if not, there's every reason to believe that Ressler will again press his FO to reshuffle the deck...

(c) And you know how the NBA works... it's always plausible in a worst-case scenario that the owner decides he needs to overhaul his front office if he's not gotten the results he's wanted... and/or... that Schlenk would feel it's that time in his career to jump ship.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Gray Mule said:

I think it is crucial for these guys to get minutes and develop even if we are competing for a chip. Especially since we have traded away multiple first rounders. It is important that the roster have guys on rookie deals that play well so they team will always have some financial balance. Plus I think they are really good players. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, RandomFan said:

Unfortunate he didn't get to play more, seemed pretty solid whenever he got a chance.

His next team should be getting him for cheap and will be surprised at just how good he is. Should've taken every Lou minute this year.

Also, is Cooper looking like Trae's backup this year? Because that would work out pretty well offensively. Defensively, can't get much worse than Trae...

1 minute ago, akay said:

Unfortunate he didn't get to play more, seemed pretty solid whenever he got a chance.

His next team should be getting him for cheap and will be surprised at just how good he is. Should've taken every Lou minute this year.

Also, is Cooper looking like Trae's backup this year? Because that would work out pretty well offensively. Defensively, can't get much worse than Trae...

Trae and Murray should eat up all the PG minutes. Would expect Sharife to be 3rd string. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
Just now, RandomFan said:

Trae and Murray should eat up all the PG minutes. Would expect Sharife to be 3rd string. 

I think the salary counts now, unless someone offers him a deal and we don’t match but it gives us additional roster flexibility for the 15 man roster throughout the season. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Would expect Sharife to be 3rd string. 

I don't. Can play two PGs if that's both of their only jobs. When you want the two PGs, though, to play together for substantial amounts of floor time, you have to have another PG you trust.... that is, if you are serious about contending... not so much if you don't, I suppose.