Can we please resign Hunter?

AtLaS

I don't see the reason to wait.  His price is very unlikely to decrease as he is a 6'8, 220, 3/D player at MINIMUM who is 24 years old.  Even if he doesn't improve at all he will be offered big money.  He can fit on any team.  Every team needs players like him and they are hard to find.

The other risk is that he has a breakout season and his price increases dramatically.  Obviously a great problem to have, but then we have to give him and Murray big money in the next 2 years.  No way we can afford that and we will have to get rid of some pieces.  

Resign him to 5/100 now and move on.  If he breaks out you have a bargain for the next 5 years.  If he doesn't you paid market value and he could be traded.  I see no upside in waiting.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, swanlee said:

I'd like him to stay healthy for at least one season before we drop alot of money on him

We will pay for that.  I don't see anything chronic with him that would prevent me from giving him a long term deal.  5/100 isn't bad.  Maybe we could get him for 4/85 or something.  

• Moderators

We don't know what he's looking for.   He and is agent may think they can do better than 5/100 next year with the cap going way up and everything.  

Herro just signed a 4/130.  That's $32.5/year.  You think Hunter is going to take $25 or less?  Herro has started 33 games in his career. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

We will pay for that.  I don't see anything chronic with him that would prevent me from giving him a long term deal.  5/100 isn't bad.  Maybe we could get him for 4/85 or something.  

I think with the tv going up, he will get more than 25 per season.   I think that's where the issue is going to be in a resign. 

19 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We don't know what he's looking for.   He and is agent may think they can do better than 5/100 next year with the cap going way up and everything.  

Herro just signed a 4/130.  That's $32.5/year.  You think Hunter is going to take $25 or less?  Herro has started 33 games in his career. 

I would be curious to hear what Hunter is asking for.  He's been hurt a lot and only averaged 13 and 3 last year.  5/100 is a killer deal IMO.  But he may want to bet on himself and I'd respect that. 

Herro is 2 years younger and averaged 21 ppg last year and shot 40% from three.  He's currently at another level offensively.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

I would be curious to hear what Hunter is asking for.  He's been hurt a lot and only averaged 13 and 3 last year.  5/100 is a killer deal IMO.  But he may want to bet on himself and I'd respect that. 

Herro is 2 years younger and averaged 21 ppg last year and shot 40% from three.  He's currently at another level offensively.  

Rumor is they are $20 million apart: Hawks offering 4/$80 mil, Hunter asking 4/$100 mil

Report: Hawks, De'Andre Hunter $20M apart on contract extension (nbcsports.com)

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I think everything now has to be calculated with DJM's deal in mind. 

Winning is going to have to be the thing.   We can start off like we did last year and these guys expect paydays.   But there's always trade for that.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 11:12 PM, Peoriabird said:

Y'all already know what I think...If you had no problems paying Gallo $20 mil per year at his age and injury history, WTF?

But that wasn’t fully guaranteed money. Schlenk threw a team option in there and say what you want about Gallo…during that ECF run he was a big time role player in playoffs which was exactly what was being asked of him at this point of his career.

Hunter on the other hand is still very much a WTF am I going to get out of him ? …I’m not saying don’t extend him but just be sure it’s the best move going forward.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JTB said:

Hunter on the other hand is still very much a WTF am I going to get out of him ? …I’m not saying don’t extend him but just be sure it’s the best move going forward.

Just put another serving of crow in the oven.  There might be a crow shortage soon if these kind of comments continue to appear on a Hawk message board.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Just put another serving of crow in the oven.  There might be a crow shortage soon if these kind of comments continue to appear on a Hawk message board.

I’ll gladly take it cause I want Hunter to be that damn good  and have a breakout season but I am worried about his consistency.

I’m actually not at all worried about the Trae/Murray/Collins fit…TO ME Hunter is the one guy in the starting 5 that can easily make us a 55+ win team or 43-45 win team. His role is just that important in my opinion.

I’m hopeful about Hunter but I’m definitely not over confident that he’s just going to easily not be the same player this upcoming season.

• Premium Member

this is a terrible idea.     i suggest we do something radical and make the guy earn his money before giving it to him.  He hasn't done shit to show he's worth a long term deal thus far in his career.  This is his contract year, let's see how he performs with that on the line.

Stop coddling people.