• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Saddiq Bey to Atlanta, Finally!!!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Our team is not performing in a way that gives any visions of 2021-22 EC Finals again.

That said, a whole lot of that can be attributed to our perimeter shooting decline, and particularly from the PG and SG positions.

And given the context, where so many teams are in this same boat with us, and even the conference leaders right now are not exactly making a convincing argument that they're shoe-ins...

Though I was leaning toward a bigger deal going down, I'm intrigued to see what happens here.

We just effectively replaced a nothing asset at wing with a something asset... and then added another 3 pt shooter on top of that.

Our average margin of win/loss is -0.4... four-tenths of a friggin point.

That's suggestive that it shouldn't take very much to make a difference.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I guess the good news is that our immediate competition had similar or worse days

Knicks - added Josh Hart (for a first)

Indy, Wash, toronto, Bulls, Heat- did basically nothing (right?)

Nets blew it up so they should be falling in the standings. 

Hopefully our guys are motivated.  We'll see if JC and Bogi are.  I got to think they were pumped to get out of here.  In fact they probably had already told JC he was likely on the move to PHX right?   Bogi probably thought he was going to a contender. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Fojdu4RXgAUdjSw?format=jpg&name=large

Bey has had some very promising moments in the NBA, including a 50-point game last season that was the most surprising performance since Corey Brewer went for 50 roughly a decade ago. He’s had a down season for the Pistons during 2022-23, and the Hawks get a chance to add a quality wing to their rotation and their future. He’s under contract for $4.5 million next season, then he’ll be up for restricted free agency in 2024. There could be an extension in the fall if the two sides come to terms. But the Hawks get a little time with Bey before they decide he’s someone in whom they want to invest.

Bey has a chance to push rookie AJ Griffin and maybe even Bogdan Bogdanović for some extra minutes as the Hawks are reportedly moving Justin Holiday in a trade to Houston. Bey is just over 40 percent as a shot maker, and he’s at 34.5 percent as a 3-point shooter. Those percentages are pretty in line with his career numbers, so he’s more of a high volume shot taker than he is a high-volume scorer, if that makes sense. He won’t need to do as much with the weapons Atlanta has, so fitting in, playing defense and knocking down corner 3-pointers will be his primary role.

I like this move for Atlanta because I think there’s more to Bey’s game than what Detroit offered up. However, the Hawks haven’t been exactly a beacon of consistency.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Hunter. He plays Bey position. No?

That’s beautiful. Landry scores!

Hunter could be gone next season with AJ and now Bey on the roster for way cheaper..

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

toronto, Bulls, Heat- did basically nothing (right?)

Thought all three would, but especially given all the talk this last week, surprised about Toronto. I mean, getting Poeltl isn't chopped liver, but it's underwhelming.

Of course, probably a lot of outsiders saying the same thing about us.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, terrell said:

Better than selling the picks like we usually do.. lol

lol I forgot about that.   Good point.

instead of fans buying old seats from the arena or pieces of the hardwood floor the Hawks should offer fans a chance to buy a second round pick in an upcoming draft.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I posted this in another thread but repeating here so everyone can see it better:

Why did we have to give up 5 2nds for Bey?

One source response: Bey has a much more hard to find skillset than Bones does. Much easier to find an offensive PG that plays no defense (Bones) than a wing player that can play defense and hit three's (Bey). Also feels that Bey gives us a trade asset in the offseason should we need it.

@NBASupes has said this for months but I think people need to realize the truth of it. Big wing players that are 3 & D are just very hard to come by in the NBA and as a result it drives their value artificially up. It is just like the 1980's when every team needed at least two if not three solid centers. Now you need at least 2 if not three big wing players in the modern NBA. We now have two.

He's no "bigger" than AJ though...

Bey is 6'7 216 with 6'11 WS

AJ is 6'6 220 with 6'11 WS

Just sayin..

He makes us deeper though and he's better than JH..

Edited by terrell