• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's Quin Snyder Media Day

sturt

Snyder mentioned 16 years coaching experience in the NBA.
He thanks Tony and Jamie Ressler.  Then said Landry and Kyle were impressive (did not mention Nick Ressler).
He's already talked with team and is ready to go.
Landry and Snyder said the hiring process was quick but included all the standard aspects of a process.  
Snyder likes getting the rest of the season to try to go on a run as well as build a foundation for next year and beyond.  Also gets a chance to build relationships now.
Landry mentioned Snyder's player development experience overseas and in the G League.  
Snyder told players this morning that he wants to learn from them, despite some of their relative youth.  Focus will be on the "team" and supporting each other.
He wants to build a culture of humility and selflessness on and off the court.
Coming in mid season, Snyder wants to be mindful of implementing his plans while still trying to win right now and not disrupting too much. 
Snyder said that the players are going to need to trust each other and build genuine relationships to get through the highs and lows.  
That's all 92.9 carried.  I think the press conference is still going on BallySports.

Snyder sounded more subdued than I anticipated.  Maybe these guys have done so many press conferences that even during an exciting time, career-wise, as this for him, it's still just business as usual.  

Again, he mentioned Landry and Kyle several times but never Nick Ressler.  That comforts me.  

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You shouldn't be.  

NBATV is a business and what do you think will get more eyes on the TV or more advertising dollars?  A coaching press conference or Dame dropping 71? 

Every Laker New Coach press conference makes it to NBATV.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Every Laker New Coach press conference makes it to NBATV.

And the Lakers have the biggest fan base in the league.   Those coaching changes are generally off season also.  Just understand how advertising dollars work and you won't be upset about the programing choices. 

Ballysports had the press conference because the presser would add more eyes than any other programming it has. 

Edited by marco102

• Premium Member

Per Cunningham's AJC write-up...

2023-02-27_15-37-44.png

Was a little surprised... well, no a lot surprised actually... that no one's apparently asked about this specifically just yet. Didn't hear it in the presser, and haven't seen any tweets that dive into it. Someone please educate me if there's something I've missed.

One is left to conclude, of course, that Snyder was content with whatever affirmation he received. And maybe I'm being hyper-skeptical that he'll be able to depend on that affirmation. But I recall how much confidence this owner has voiced for the previous three coaches he's employed at times, and one thing we all  can agree, Tony Ressler is prone to change his mind. Within months, maybe weeks, of having said X, he has went back to say, instead, Y.

Hence, my strong preference that there be an actual title given to QS, POBO or otherwise.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sturt said:

Per Cunningham's AJC write-up...

2023-02-27_15-37-44.png

Was a little surprised... well, no a lot surprised actually... that no one's apparently asked about this specifically just yet. Didn't hear it in the presser, and haven't seen any tweets that dive into it. Someone please educate me if there's something I've missed.

One is left to conclude, of course, that Snyder was content with whatever affirmation he received. And maybe I'm being hyper-skeptical that he'll be able to depend on that affirmation. But I recall how much confidence this owner has voiced for the previous three coaches he's employed at times, and one thing we all  can agree, Tony Ressler is prone to change his mind. Within months, maybe weeks, of having said X, he has went back to say, instead, Y.

Hence, my strong preference that there be an actual title given to QS, POBO or otherwise.

So are these things negotiated with exact terms? Let's say Quin and Landry have a strong disagreement, who wins out? Doesn't the owner have to settle the dispute?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, bleachkit said:

Doesn't the owner have to settle the dispute?

giphy.gif

You had me goin for a second there, but I know you know the answer.

It's called a hierarchy. Also referred to as a line of authority. It's why none of the Waltons actually have to get involved in the decision making if a regional manager and a store manager disagree. We decide ahead of time who actually is in a better position to make decisions, and go with that.

So, no.

The owner has misled people into believing it's necessary for him to intervene. For his own reasons.

It is not. In fact, relatively few NBA teams have an owner so enmeshed in the basketball ops decision-making.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
Just now, macdaddy said:

I think Quin probably knows that if he has a voice in personnel decisions he can intimidate the other guys into getting his way

ScratchyWatchfulAsianporcupine-max-1mb.g

Yeah, if the coaching gig doesn't work out, he seems a natural for a role in a zombie movie with only a minimal amount of make-up. 😄

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

So are these things negotiated with exact terms? Let's say Quin and Landry have a strong disagreement, who wins out? Doesn't the owner have to settle the dispute?

I think, at a minimum, it means that no personnel decisions will be made without first informing Snyder and getting his input.  He'll have his say, and be part of the discussions, but he won't be able to overrule Landry.  
That would be my speculation.  I doubt there is anything contractual about any of this beyond his head coaching duties.  "Partnership" may be mentioned, regarding personnel, but no ironclad voting rights.  

I remember when I was one of the four senior administrators at a university I worked at for about ten years.  Faculty and staff members would approach me regularly and ask how I was going to "vote" in the senior staff meeting about subject "XYZ."  I would, when appropriate, tell them my leanings on the subject.  But I also reminded them that the senior staff didn't "vote" in those meetings.  We discussed, and often influenced the thinking in the room... but then the President decided.  

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

I think, at a minimum, it means that no personnel decisions will be made without first informing Snyder and getting his input.  He'll have his say, and be part of the discussions, but he won't be able to overrule Landry.  
That would be my speculation.  I doubt there is anything contractual about any of this beyond his head coaching duties.  "Partnership" may be mentioned, regarding personnel, but no ironclad voting rights.  

I remember when I was one of the four senior administrators at a university I worked at for about ten years.  Faculty and staff members would approach me regularly and ask how I was going to "vote" in the senior staff meeting about subject "XYZ."  I would, when appropriate, tell them my leanings on the subject.  But I also reminded them that the senior staff didn't "vote" in those meetings.  We discussed, and often influenced the thinking in the room... but then the President decided.  

Academia is a weeeeeeiirrrrrrrd working environment, of course.

Don't tell anyone, but I've actually heard of untenured faculty conducting performance reviews of tenured faculty. Fer real. 😉

12 minutes ago, sturt said:

Academia is a weeeeeeiirrrrrrrd working environment, of course.

Don't tell anyone, but I've actually heard of untenured faculty conducting performance reviews of tenured faculty. Fer real. 😉

Don't get me started...
I respect K-12 teachers.  College faculty, based on my experience, could use a reality check most of the time.  
"Shared governance" is a real thing in higher education, but it really only amounts to the faculty feeling more self-empowered than they really are.  Add tenure to the mix and you're really dealing with a lot of diva attitudes.  
And, yes, our faculty actually wanted to be able to do annual performance reviews of the senior administration and to have influence over hiring those positions.  I guess they forgot that one of the four senior administrative positions was the Dean of Academics/Provost who "represented" them in all discussions.  They also had a voting member on the board of directors, from within the faculty ranks, unlike any other department in the university.  
I lost my respect for them over time, which was personally painful as I was an education major and taught at the university level too.  I wanted so much to appreciate them but they made it exceedingly difficult.  

There are some similarities to the Hawks FO and the new head coach.  Hope it works out well in the end.  Trust and decency will help a lot.  

25 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Did anyone hear Quin on the radio?   I'm assuming they were chicken to say some of the bs they've been saying the last week.  

1. No, I didn't listen and won't listen and can't listen (for my own sanity).

2. At the risk of losing said sanity, what were they actually saying?  I already regret asking.