• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just to be Clear…

benhillboy

I’ve never been knowledgeable on transaction stuff.  But simply, the Hawks gave up 4 Firsts for DJ?!?!?!  I thought it was 3, which is awful enough.  @JayBirdHawk please tell me these picks are devalued in some way.

It’s shaping up like they swapped Delon (the far better compliment to Trae), Kevin, 4 Firsts, and 2 regular season wins for a player with dreadful metrics who will likely walk after next season?  I can’t.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I’ve never been knowledgeable on transaction stuff.  But simply, the Hawks gave up 4 Firsts for DJ?!?!?!  I thought it was 3, which is awful enough.  @JayBirdHawk please tell me these picks are devalued in some way.

It’s shaping up like they swapped Delon (the far better compliment to Trae), Kevin, 4 Firsts, and 2 regular season wins for a player with dreadful metrics who will likely walk after next season?  I can’t.

It's 3 picks:

We gave up the Charlotte pick we received from NYK in the Cam trade, it will likely end up being two 2nd round picks from Charlotte.

Hawks are on the books for their own two picks unprotected picks in 2025 and 2027.

Then a pick swap in 2026, Hawks get the worse pick.

48 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's 3 picks:

We gave up the Charlotte pick we received from NYK in the Cam trade, it will likely end up being two 2nd round picks from Charlotte.

Hawks are on the books for their own two picks unprotected picks in 2025 and 2027.

Then a pick swap in 2026, Hawks get the worse pick.

If it becomes 2 2nd round picks like we all assume it will be at this point. 

Then in the end it was   2 1sts, 2 2nd's and a pick swap in 2026. Which for Murray is pretty fair value he is a talented player.  Sad part is im not sure how well he meshes with Trae and the team at this point.    I'll for sure take my crow on that one as i said Murray was exactly the type of player i thought we needed.  A 2nd playmaking scorer with all nba defense.  Which in theory is what we need but for some reason it hasn't worked out great.

Edited by Threezus

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Threezus said:

If it becomes 2 2nd round picks like we all assume it will be at this point. 

Then in the end it was   2 1sts, 2 2nd's and a pick swap in 2026. Which for Murray is pretty fair value he is a talented player.  Sad part is im not sure how well he meshes with Trae and the team at this point.    I'll for sure take my crow on that one as i said Murray was exactly the type of player i thought we needed.  A 2nd playmaking scorer with all nba defense.  Which in theory is what we need but for some reason it hasn't worked out great.

Because he's not really all NBA defense.   That's the main issue.   Secondary is that he's not a great 3 point shooter although on the Hawks he's looked pretty good.  But maybe that's in comparison to our other awful shooters. 

Offensively, Murray is definitely the right fit for Trae and the Hawks. Defensively, he's been a major disappointment with his inability to stay in front of people.

Yes, he gets timely steals, but he's been getting torched all season. 

I do think that Murray and Trae need to work on their defensive footwork in the offseason and become better on ball defenders.  Trae has improved a little but still has a ways to go with his defensive awareness. 

It's just disappointing to say that Murray has a long way to go as well.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Until they have arrived, all players have a long way to go. 

It took JB and Tatum 6 years to figure out how to "mesh" well.   Yall expect Trae and DJ to do it in 1 season with changing coaches?

This series is not over and I expect us to push Boston.   However, that Hawks team I saw last night... I'm not mad at that team.  Aside for a drought in the 2nd, I think they played well.   Some mistakes.. some bad calls.. but they didn't play badly. 

The dynamic between Trae and DJ is a good one.. I just need DJ to get a little more weight on him.   His grown man body. 

With that grown man body, i would love to see him improve on his man to man defense.   A little improvement will take us a long way.   Trae too.   Trae's maturity is mental.   I have seen him mature a lot this season actually.. his thing is trust and aside from being a distributor (which he is great at), he has to become a floor general.   I believe that comes with knowing the playbook. I don't know if we know quins playbook, but we will get there. 

• Like 4

Quin will, I believe, have a different offense and defense next season.

One thing I hope we have, three point shooters.  Presently, who do other teams fear that they will get hurt because of the Hawks three point shooters?

If I'm the Hawk's opponent, Bogie.  That's one.  Trae hasn't been really good this season but we cover him because he's the PG and he can cause all kinds of trouble.  Who else?  AJ Griffin, maybe, in the future but he's not playing right now.  Waiting for him to mature.

Hawks have others who take, and make three point shots.  Sure.  But, who do you worry about??

The dunk, the floater and the three point shot.  What else is there in today's NBA?

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Offensively, Murray is definitely the right fit for Trae and the Hawks. Defensively, he's been a major disappointment with his inability to stay in front of people.

I do think that Murray and Trae need to work on their defensive footwork in the offseason and become better on ball defenders.  Trae has improved a little but still has a ways to go with his defensive awareness. 

It's just disappointing to say that Murray has a long way to go as well.

Agreed on offense - they need time to work on kinks, but ok so far.

On defense - oh boy. I have no clue what Murray is doing. He's not moving his feet and trying to actually stay in front, seems more like he is sending the player to help that just isn't there. Try to cut off the guy.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Trae and DJ can work but it's going to be expensive.  We still need an elite player in the frontcourt in the worst way.  And at that point the question will be do we DJ at his price or can we get by with AJ or someone else.  

I don't even think so much as elite, just more skilled and CONSISTENT!

If Clint was a monster on defense and rebounding.

If Collins was hitting his 3s and rebounding at a high level.

If Hunter was more consistent on both offense and defense and had the ability to make a play for teammates.

These 3 have just not been good at the things they do best with any level of consistency to raise the level of the starting unit, particularly when Trae or DJ are struggling.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

show me a timely steal for Murray and I'll show you another play where he gambled and lost which led to an easy basket for the other team.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Trae and DJ can work but it's going to be expensive.  We still need an elite player in the frontcourt in the worst way.  And at that point the question will be do we DJ at his price or can we get by with AJ or someone else.  

We would love to have Amare Stoudamire reborn... but I dont think it will take all that. 

Trade out JC for KP and I think we'd be better than fine. 

Then Again, I don't know what to expect with Quin.   Where does he like his PFs?  Quin has only talked Energy and Spacing because it's not his offense.   I think he lets Prunty deal with the Xs and Os and where he can help he does.. but his main focus is coaching guys up and explaining spacing.  He's a brilliant guy... he looked at Nate's two page flyer of an offense and came up with reasonings behind what we do.  The actual teaching part of coaching.   Something that Nate didn't do. 

So.. it's hard to say what our team should look like because I don't know what Quin wants to put in place.  But he does. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't even think so much as elite, just more skilled and CONSISTENT!

If Clint was a monster on defense and rebounding.

If Collins was hitting his 3s and rebounding at a high level.

If Hunter was more consistent on both offense and defense and had the ability to make a play for teammates.

These 3 have just not been good at the things they do best with any level of consistency to raise the level of the starting unit, particularly when Trae or DJ are struggling.

I appreciate Hunter for stepping up some last night.   Boston was ridiculously disrespectful.  They left him open... and when he wasn't all the way open, RWIII and JT were so far away that their close outs were not threats to touch the ball.  Hunter, used that to score.   Once he even dribbled passed the close out for a better shot.   If he can add passing to his game...and better dribbling, he'll be an allstar. 

• Like 2