• Raised $390 of $700 target

You are the Hawks GM 23 draft

Spud2nique

What do you do if you are Landry?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with our 2023 1st round pick

• Stand pat and draft BPA #15
    • Stand pat and draft “position of need” at #15
    • Trade up into the top 5 (name your prospect and why)
    • Trade up into top 10 (same as above)
    • Trade down but still stay in round 1 (name the prospect)
    • Trade out of round 1 for a vet (name the vet 🎯)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/21/2023 at 04:53 AM

17 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I bet no one will know which I picked. 😏

Oh wait, I gotta name names?  Uh, I dunno, how about the other Jaylin Williams from OKC. 

We can’t have 2 Jalen’s on one squad I’m sorry :batman:

• Sad 1

I’ll tell you who I don’t like and others seem to like is the Thompson twins 👯‍♀️. I could be wrong but I don’t see their durability in the league if that’s a thing, I like their defense for sure with the length but personally I wouldn’t want my point guard to be that prototype I much prefer the Robin Williams 🪦:sad: of point guards in Trae Young. #shortfunnyandhairywhynot

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’ll tell you who I don’t like and others seem to like is the Thompson twins 👯‍♀️. I could be wrong but I don’t see their durability in the league if that’s a thing, I like their defense for sure with the length but personally I wouldn’t want my point guard to be that prototype I much prefer the Robin Williams 🪦:sad: of point guards in Trae Young. #shortfunnyandhairywhynot

If I were to bet, I would bet them being over rated and not living up to their projected draft slots   

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

If I were to bet, I would bet them being over rated and not living up to their projected draft slots   

I know it’s not right but the way they move reminds me of Dermarr Johnson. I dunno. I don’t mind a wing to move like that but a pg? Nah.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Went with what I think is the most likely approach.  Whether aid want us to trade up or down depends on the value coming back.  Since generally teams try to make deals that are tiled in their favor, I figure we will likely turn them down and stay still.  If we do, I like BPA rather than specific need.  Notably I don’t think we have a huge need as welll.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Was told by the OP to "name the vet"... so let's do that.....................

I've got Chicago desperate to elbow their way into the 2023 draft to gain a PG.

I've got Chicago more open than ever to moving Patrick Williams, though of course, the return naturally must be seen as a net positive.

So, I want to send the Bulls our #15 plus Saddiq Bey for Patrick Williams.

Why do they do that? They do it because if they didn't strike a deal ahead of us, then they've already lost out on any of the definitive lottery-level talents, and there's really only Hood-Schifino (Indiana) left on their presumptive board (... though, I personally am higher on Sasser (U-Houston) than most, fwiw). And in obtaining Bey, they retain the asset that they arguably most value in Williams, ie, 3 pt shooting.

Why do we do that? We do it because arguably the one thing we need more than anything else this off-season is to make a significant upgrade in our perimeter defense... and without sacrificing any offensive capability. I'm not trying to trade Bey here. I really love the kid, and would rather not see him go. But this would represent an important upgrade. (I get great dopamine rushes imagining Tatum being hounded by Dre and P-Dub, aka "The Paw" 🙂 next time we run into the Cs.)

We do it, too, because Williams is still very young (turns 22 in August), and it remains altogether plausible that he can turn into something very special, having his skill set compared with Kawhi by some observers.

Now, to make such a deal work, we'd also have to send out some filler that CHI can either keep or painlessly release... and that would mean Bruno and Mathews would be moved once again, yielding a very even payroll exchange.

In my book, this is the ideal. But/and, the likelihood for this or any fan-envisioned trade proposal is that it's not actually something one or both teams would consider. As an alternative to this, I'd be very interested to see if something could be worked out for Jonathan Kuminga.

In either case (Williams or Kuminga), notably, our good friend Steve Koonin could smile because we would have potentially satisfied his radio interview plea for the roster to gain a bad ass in the tradition of a Jimmy Butler--albeit, in either case, a projected, developing  bad ass, not actually one who has already gained that reputation.

(Both players have been reported by beat writers of the Bulls and Warriors respectively as being available.)

To me, no other deal is necessary or advantageous this off-season. While I cannot argue that there is great reason for skepticism that Peter Antony will be okay with keeping all the double-digit salary pieces, and paying tax, I can and have and will continue to argue that Landry helps this team succeed in 2023 by resisting deals involving those pieces... though, I won't bother to revisit those arguments in this post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, kg01 said:

I bet no one will know which I picked. 😏

Oh wait, I gotta name names?  Uh, I dunno, how about the other Jaylin Williams from OKC. 

whaa.gif .............. after dogging me all last off-season about my OKC fixation, now  you wanna go get an OKC asset???

So, more seriously... Jeremiah Robinson-Earl seemingly could be had for a fair price w/ Holmgren returning from injury. Maybe more than fair, actually... https://thunderousintentions.com/2023/05/08/jeremiah-robinson-earl-future-outlook/

OKC, of course, has 137 first round picks (or something like that) in the next 5 years, so if our FO wants to re-establish a FRP given up to SAS (2025 or 2027), I'm sure something could be worked out.

I'd be up for #15 in exchange for JRE and whichever 2025 OKC FRP our FO considers POTL (aka... pick of the litter).

The other highly-coveted OKC asset for me this past off-season had been Euro star Vasilije Micic. Would still love to acquire him, but it's less clear how he would fit in the ATL rotation and payroll now. Not seeing it.

Im Really liking Trayce Jackson-Davis out of Indiana as a glue guy. This is Dale Davis’s son. 6’9” with 7’+ wingspan. Hustle player that averaged 20 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks…. Didn’t shoot the 3 in college but showed he could at the combine. Not a candidate at 15. Too old at 23 yrs already....  

But if we trade down.......Im taking a hard look at him...

Edited by terrell

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Easy choice for me

Give me more length and size off the bench, especially if we do something with Capela and/or Collins.

He was very good in this game vs a tough defensive team in Michigan St. ( even though neither team couldn't establish their defense this game ).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Easy choice for me

Give me more length and size off the bench, especially if we do something with Capela and/or Collins.

Love him and his bro was my dude last year in the top 5. Him and Jabari but Murray’s ball.

2 hours ago, warcore said:

I'd also try and put together a DJ/Dre package for Jaylen Brown

I’m in for that. Bring him home.