• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, AHF said:

but I'm far from convinced it will be the best move possible.  Best move available is the real question.

What are some other moves you anticipate being available to us that might be better?  When I go through the list of teams that need a starting point guard, it is not a long list.

7 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

What are some other moves you anticipate being available to us that might be better?  When I go through the list of teams that need a starting point guard, it is not a long list.

One trade that I've seen discussed by another site is Murray to Orlando for Johnathan Isaac, Anthony Black, and the 18th pick.  That's A MUCH BETTER trade than any deal for Ingram.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

If we could get Suggs and Isaac from Orlando, that's a trade that helps us with defense and Isaac also adds size.  He doesn't help with health as he can't stay on the floor.  I also know that trading within the division is tough and Orlando might be reluctant to give up two rotation pieces from a team that just made the playoffs for the first time with this core. 

22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

One trade that I've seen discussed by another site is Murray to Orlando for Johnathan Isaac, Anthony Black, and the 18th pick.  That's A MUCH BETTER trade than any deal for Ingram.

I don't think the Magic will proceed with that, even though Murray would be a nice acquisition for them; they probably want us to add a pick to that deal.

• Premium Member

Is there any indication that Orlando is even considering trading for DJ?  I'm not completely sold on Isaac, aside from the fact the guy can barely stay on the court his entire career.  I feel like we have enough guys that are never available.  Suggs would be a nice piece though and I would prefer a trade centered around him over Ingram.

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I can come up with lots of deals I like better.  What will be available to us is speculation.

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

I can come up with lots of deals I like better.  What will be available to us is speculation.

I like to see some of them (getting the flamethrower ready)

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, AHF said:

Okay, when you said you were far from convinced it would be the best available, I thought maybe you had heard of other stuff in discussions -- everyone here can come up with better deals, but the bar will always be "is this better than doing nothing" because real GMing is much different than 2K.  I'm sure once the offseason gets ramped up, I imagine we will start to hear more rumors with more teams that will scope out possibilities

6 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Word of advice.  If you never put the flamethrower away it's always ready, baybee. 

😇

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I get the idea around this, but this is also why we reacted and traded for DJM in the first place.  When Miami blitzed Trae in the playoffs, the Hawks didn't have an answer.  That Hawks team wasn't coached by Quin Snyder.  It was coached by Nate McMillan, who didn't have an answer for any problem.  

Trae is elite at creating scoring opportunities for his teammates, and Quin is an elite coach.  I don't worry about replacing Murray with another guard, and I give the secondary creation role to Jalen Johnson.  Give me a spot up catch and shoot guy who can defend at the shooting guard spot.  

+1000 to all of this.  The part in bold, I've been beating that drum for years now.

5 minutes ago, Wretch said:

+1000 to all of this.  The part in bold, I've been beating that drum for years now.

It's really sad Klay Thompson has fallen off the cliff.  He is what we need and could be had for a reasonable S&T most likely.  Unfortunately, the injuries and father time have clearly taken their toll on him.  He has size at the 2, could defend most guards and wings,  and could shoot the 3 with the best of them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Okay, when you said you were far from convinced it would be the best available, I thought maybe you had heard of other stuff in discussions -- everyone here can come up with better deals, but the bar will always be "is this better than doing nothing" because real GMing is much different than 2K.  I'm sure once the offseason gets ramped up, I imagine we will start to hear more rumors with more teams that will scope out possibilities

I think it's more nuanced than that.  What you are looking at is a Brandon Ingram that is going to want a max extension and will likely get it from someone.  So, it's not as black and white as "is this better than doing nothing", because if you trade for Ingram, it has to be with other assets to make it good for the Hawks because Ingram on a max extension is not good for the Hawks in anyway.  

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I get the idea around this, but this is also why we reacted and traded for DJM in the first place.  When Miami blitzed Trae in the playoffs, the Hawks didn't have an answer.  That Hawks team wasn't coached by Quin Snyder.  It was coached by Nate McMillan, who didn't have an answer for any problem.  

Trae is elite at creating scoring opportunities for his teammates, and Quin is an elite coach.  I don't worry about replacing Murray with another guard, and I give the secondary creation role to Jalen Johnson.  Give me a spot up catch and shoot guy who can defend at the shooting guard spot.  

Keys if we are going to be successful building around Trae.

1.  Need shooters at every position.  The Center doesn't have to be a great shooter, just needs the ability to hit a midrange jumper to keep the defense honest.  This will unlock Trae drives again.

2.  Length and defense at every other position.  

I think JJ and Hunter both fit here.  We need to square up the 5 (I like OO but he will struggle against bigger 5's like Zubac/Lopez/Valencunis) so we will need a BIG 5 off the bench.  And we need an SG who can play D and hit the 3.

I'd be willing to trade DJM in a package centered around Herb Jones but I just don't think NOP would be willing to do that.  

Dyson Daniels can't shoot at all so I don't want him playing beside Trae.  To me he doesn't even have potential as a shooter, he's a career 64% FT shooter.  That will not work.  He's Andre Roberson 2.0 IMO

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Just sticking with NO, I would absolutely rather have Murphy or Jones.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Miami blitzed Trae in the playoffs when Clint was hurt and completely unavailable for most of the series and JC was just returning after months off and was a shell of himself.  That was a huge reason they could blitz him like that.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

It's really sad Klay Thompson has fallen off the cliff.  He is what we need and could be had for a reasonable S&T most likely.  Unfortunately, the injuries and father time have clearly taken their toll on him.  He has size at the 2, could defend most guards and wings,  and could shoot the 3 with the best of them.

I would still give Klay a shot if the opportunity was right.  He still averaged 18ppg and shot 39% from 3 last year on high volume.  He had some bad games but I think he's still a solid contributor.  

• Like 1