• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How would you improve the defense?

theheroatl

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Can we sign Bob E. Portis aka Crazi Eyes, for a 1-day contract to come in and tear errybody a new one behind the scenes?

We definitely need it. 

I'd give him a 10 day contract just to make sure that the messaging stuck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If they have an owner WILLING to pay it's a non-issue. They had a 42-40 record last year but still went all in resigning their guys with the potential to be in the Luxury Tax.

Next season they may yet make moves to get under depending on how this season ends up - but at least THEY HAVE BEEN GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY IT OUT. 

We don't get that around these parts.

Wait. They went into the luxury tax for players that weren't stars and with no guarantee that they will win a title?  That's insane!!!

• Haha 2

On 12/8/2023 at 8:31 AM, thecampster said:

Before last season, I was adamant that we ship Clint and what was needed to get Rudy Gobert.  Not sure if anyone has noticed, but Minnesota now has the best record and statistically best defense in the league.

We can have gobert on this team and it would still be a bottom 5-10 defense. Having gobert doesn’t change the fact saddiq is one of the worst defenders in the league and bogi is a cone. Would he help… absolutely but it wouldn’t solve a thing not at all at the price minny paid 

• Premium Member
On 11/21/2023 at 11:05 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

A lot of it is lack of communication (when I can hear the players talking thru my TV, it works) and/or sometimes miscommunication. Grabbing defensive rebounds is when the defensive assignment on that play ends. We are giving up too many OREBS which are directly leading to additional possessions and points. Fixing that part of it will help.

Last thing - if you are supposed to be a defender: defend like your life depended on it. Effort, effort and more effort.

@Diesel made a point about the scheme earlier in this thread. Saw it play out time again last night....OO (getting switched on the perimter), DJ and Mathews are low men in the paint along with Patty and Trent.(typing out that 5 man group 🤢). So we are depending on DJ and Mathews to get the rebound against a bigger Cavs line up.

On 11/21/2023 at 12:39 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

It would also help if we actually play some defense in the 1st quarter of games.  Too many point given up in the 1st has been too much of a bad habit.  Lots of WIDE OPEN 3s given up has been problematic.  Then we decide to play defense.  STOP DOING THIS!

Almost a month later.....still the same 1st quarter issues.

It’s just a frustrating continuance.  When they’re in man they are nonchalant on their switches.  In zone, if they play big in the paint, they don’t react quick enough to the perimeter.  They show flashes but it’s like they end up slacking off and end up being content with giving up a shot.  Hope for a miss and that the ball either bounces their way or a teammate gets it.

Pretty much handcuffed with JJ out. And unless they shoot lights out, a lot worse if CC doesn’t play.  Maybe Bruno will get more minutes now…who knows.  Q keeps us guessing.  At this point they’re just going to have to ride it out, grind it out until they get healthy.  Hopefully they can win 4 out of the next 7 and be back at it by January.

I like the fast offense, but…..I don’t know.  Running and gunning also gives the other team more shot opportunities.  Maybe try to slow it down more often than they do now.  Especially when/if they have a decent lead.  Work some offense, keep the ball away from the other team.  At least until they figure out how to put an effective defense on the floor. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Might also help to just rebound the ball.

would be interested to see where the Hawks rank in giving up 2nd chance points in the last 5 minutes of games. @TheNorthCydeRises

I look at this the opposite of Glen.  It gets harder to play good D when you're doing it in transition in the fourth.  All the free flowing offense seems to disappear in the fourth and we start iso'ing and bricking.  

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I look at this the opposite of Glen.  It gets harder to play good D when you're doing it in transition in the fourth.  All the free flowing offense seems to disappear in the fourth and we start iso'ing and bricking.  

I think part of it is when we are trying to nurse a lead and run time off the clock, the offense becomes stagnant, and we become easier to guard since we move away from what got us the lead. We are playing not to lose instead of playing to win. 

• Like 3

On 12/8/2023 at 9:51 AM, kg01 said:

Well last night I had a dream about Megan theeee Stallion and, when I woke up, I was adamant that I buy the lambo and the hillside villa theeeee Stallion and I shared in the dream.  Not sure if anyone has noticed, but ....

😥

:Bob: You need ta start dreamin' about Megan the Cashier, kg.  Your dreams got champagne taste butcho wallet got sprite finances.

That's harsh, Bawb. 

LOL @ Megan the Cashier.

I've seen some "Megan the Cashiers" in my lifetime.

• Thanks 1