How would you improve the defense?

theheroatl

16 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Reasons why it isn’t happening? God only knows

just give each of these guys 30 minutes and call it a day..

why oh why can’t we do this… I’m sick of watching other lines up like the terrible Capela Hunter lineup

It isn’t happening bc Clint and Hunter are paid so much more than OO and Bey currently. 
If they’re still on the team next season (if Bey resigned), they’ll be pushed to the bench. 

I don’t remember who it was, but I recently watched an interview with a player who told a story of Quin telling him that even if he did everything right, he would never start over his healthy teammate because of their respective salaries. 

It’s dumb, but it’s business. 

• Premium Member

Those lineups are usually cooking bench units and those guys defensive flaws dont get exploited by those same bench units like they would starters.  Lineup stats are useful but you have to be careful with the conclusions you draw.  To me, our starting lineup being -8 is the biggest takeaway and most concerning piece of this.  That tells me were toast in any playoff series.  Really want to see a positive net rating for the starters before you feel good going into the playoffs… mid single digit + is what id look for before being optimistic 

• Like 2

Hawks are 25th in defensive rating. 3 Fixes, play the OO-Bey-Jalen-DJM-Trae lineup with starter minutes, bring Dre & Capela off the bench, and trade for some defensive studs immediately using Capela and Hunter as centerpieces. They are NOT defensive studs and are average, we must upgrade to a pure defensive stopper at the wing and frontcourt. 

We will NOT finish higher than 9-10th place if this rating continues.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Your defensive leaders have to have strong voices.  Has anyone ever seen Clint  or Dre animated and demonstrative when discussing obvious defensive events and strategies with teammates?  You have to be loud and pestering when breakdowns happen.  On the flip you have to be his personal cheerleader when your teammate makes a great effort or read.  GS puts up with Draymond’s foolishness because it’s helped yield 4 titles and obvious drop offs on both ends when he isn’t suited up.

The edict to defend hard has to come from the GM, who has first fully convinced the owner that poor defense won’t be accepted.  That way it trickles down to the 12th man.  The Hawks simply won’t survive year to year in the same division with the heat being satisfied with defensive ineptitude.  Now all of a sudden Orlando showing some defensive juice, the Hawks definitely have to right the ship and change this culture sooner than later.  Obviously this “Hawks DNA” Landry has spoken of the past few seasons ain’t about nothing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2023 at 6:41 AM, theheroatl said:

Hawks are 25th in defensive rating. 3 Fixes, play the OO-Bey-Jalen-DJM-Trae lineup with starter minutes, bring Dre & Capela off the bench, and trade for some defensive studs immediately using Capela and Hunter as centerpieces. They are NOT defensive studs and are average, we must upgrade to a pure defensive stopper at the wing and frontcourt. 

We will NOT finish higher than 9-10th place if this rating continues.

This post aged EXTREMELY WELL.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That's about the same time I went into my fandom "boycott"..

I can't suffer through a whole season without the necessary trades/moves being made. I'm sad.

The answer is clear from my original post, you MUST upgrade the defense. This team can score.. it has no stoppers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

Your defensive leaders have to have strong voices.  Has anyone ever seen Clint  or Dre animated and demonstrative when discussing obvious defensive events and strategies with teammates?  You have to be loud and pestering when breakdowns happen.  On the flip you have to be his personal cheerleader when your teammate makes a great effort or read.  GS puts up with Draymond’s foolishness because it’s helped yield 4 titles and obvious drop offs on both ends when he isn’t suited up.

The edict to defend hard has to come from the GM, who has first fully convinced the owner that poor defense won’t be accepted.  That way it trickles down to the 12th man.  The Hawks simply won’t survive year to year in the same division with the heat being satisfied with defensive ineptitude.  Now all of a sudden Orlando showing some defensive juice, the Hawks definitely have to right the ship and change this culture sooner than later.  Obviously this “Hawks DNA” Landry has spoken of the past few seasons ain’t about nothing.

I'm conflicted because I know you're right.  Let's just pretend i disagree so we can keep fighting.  Deal? 

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I like how Indy gets a few stops at opportune times.   I also like the idea of getting a guy like DFS in here. 

We don't have defensive communicators.   I don't know if DFS is one of those dudes but we need one because our team don't talk much. 

And if Dre don't stop dying on those picks...   He's big enough to stand up straight and punish the hell out of any pick setter... He needs a heart transplant. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I like how Indy gets a few stops at opportune times.   I also like the idea of getting a guy like DFS in here. 

We don't have defensive communicators.   I don't know if DFS is one of those dudes but we need one because our team don't talk much. 

And if Dre don't stop dying on those picks...   He's big enough to stand up straight and punish the hell out of any pick setter... He needs a heart transplant. 

We traded our best communicator for a $20m TPE. 

• Sad 2

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Before last season, I was adamant that we ship Clint and what was needed to get Rudy Gobert.  Not sure if anyone has noticed, but Minnesota now has the best record and statistically best defense in the league.

I mean Minny mortgage their entire future on Gobert. They were never gonna trade him after one season where KAT missed the majority of it. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Before last season, I was adamant that we ship Clint and what was needed to get Rudy Gobert.  Not sure if anyone has noticed, but Minnesota now has the best record and statistically best defense in the league.

I'm trying to think if there is any other difference between the twolves and hawks but i just can't think of anyth.....oh wait yeah they have the third highest payroll in the league, $40+ million more than the Hawks and their superstar player is making $9m a year.  

I know i'm being a smartass but who's on the Hawks if we have Trae and Gobert eating $80+ million of the payroll?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Well last night I had a dream about Megan theeee Stallion and, when I woke up, I was adamant that I buy the lambo and the hillside villa theeeee Stallion and I shared in the dream.  Not sure if anyone has noticed, but ....

😥

:Bob: You need ta start dreamin' about Megan the Cashier, kg.  Your dreams got champagne taste butcho wallet got sprite finances.

That's harsh, Bawb. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

It would be extremely difficult for us to build a complimentary team around a center that is an offensive liability who is making $43M a year especially with an ownership that is as cheap as Ressler.

The t-wolves are going to have a top 3 most expensive roster in the entire NBA at around $200M  next year once Edwards and McDaniels extensions kick in. Their luxury tax bill is going to be insane.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, yungsta said:

It would be extremely difficult for us to build a complimentary team around a center that is an offensive liability who is making $43M a year especially with an ownership that is as cheap as Ressler.

The t-wolves are going to have a top 3 most expensive roster in the entire NBA at around $200M  next year once Edwards and McDaniels extensions kick in. Their luxury tax bill is going to be insane.

If they have an owner WILLING to pay it's a non-issue. They had a 42-40 record last year but still went all in resigning their guys with the potential to be in the Luxury Tax.

Next season they may yet make moves to get under depending on how this season ends up - but at least THEY HAVE BEEN GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY IT OUT. 

We don't get that around these parts.

• Like 3