• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

We would be absolutely atrocious defensively and very limited offensively.  We would at least have that 7-footer even though he doesn’t fit the modern game.  

Opinion, like everyone else. Once we see where we are picking I’d love to see your assessment of other guys (honestly). But like I said, this is an Edey thread and I agree that he’d be good for this team.

2 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

If he actually goes in the lottery, he may not be on the board when the Hawks pick. I'm expecting Hawks to be in the playoffs.

Easily. It's not like we are far right now. We are literally a piece away 

38 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Easily. It's not like we are far right now. We are literally a piece away 

How so? Not even trying to be argumentative but this team is not one draft pick piece away unless you're talking about possibly making the playoffs.  A deep run, one piece? Not as constructed.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, deester11 said:

How so? Not even trying to be argumentative but this team is not one draft pick piece away unless you're talking about possibly making the playoffs.  A deep run, one piece? Not as constructed.

Our biggest issue with Trae and Murray is off ball play. They are terrible together at it because Murray is a 1 and Trae is a negative off the ball. You put them with Edey gravity and you have easily the best offense in NBA history for the next 10 years. Easily. 

Edey value for us is 10x than even for Luka and Harden and 100x compared to everyone else. Edey legit makes Trae a MVP candidate and he removes Trae's offensive weakness. 

• Premium Member

I stand corrected on Edey to the degree I didn't think he would be picked in the first round, and now mocks have him as a fringe lottery pick. He's also been very productive. To the people that say he can't contribute cause of his size/body, don't forget people said the same about Trae.

I don't know if I would want him, but he would be very interesting to watch for sure, and if the FO picks him, Ima be a fan and chug the koolaid.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aali34 said:

I stand corrected on Edey to the degree I didn't think he would be picked in the first round, and now mocks have him as a fringe lottery pick. He's also been very productive. To the people that say he can't contribute cause of his size/body, don't forget people said the same about Trae.

I don't know if I would want him, but he would be very interesting to watch for sure, and if the FO picks him, Ima be a fan and chug the koolaid.

I’ve seen nothing that would make me change my correct view of him.  

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Our biggest issue with Trae and Murray is off ball play. They are terrible together at it because Murray is a 1 and Trae is a negative off the ball. You put them with Edey gravity and you have easily the best offense in NBA history for the next 10 years. Easily. 

Edey value for us is 10x than even for Luka and Harden and 100x compared to everyone else. Edey legit makes Trae a MVP candidate and he removes Trae's offensive weakness. 

I like Edey, but this is a bit too optimistic IMO.  It's possible that you could be right, but a lot will depend on his work ethic and other things.  He won't have the same gravity in the NBA as he does at Purdue.

30 minutes ago, AtLaS said:

I like Edey, but this is a bit too optimistic IMO.  It's possible that you could be right, but a lot will depend on his work ethic and other things.  He won't have the same gravity in the NBA as he does at Purdue.

Everything seems optimistic till it happens. 

24 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This is where you always get in trouble with player evaluations.

Just stick to saying that Edy will be a positive to the lineup, if we add him. Don't go to the extreme and say that Trae + Murray + Edy = AII time NBA offensive production.

KB may be vastly underselling Edy, but you're overselling Edy the other way.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. 

The question is, which attribute will define him the most .... His offensive skills in the paint or his lack of defensive mobility in space?

I don't have many misses of late in the last three years. I've been spot on and I've never done my homework on anyone as much as Edey and it's not even close. 

I don't believe the truth is in the middle in this case. This is like Trae. Its either all or nothing in regards to stardom. I truly believe he makes Trae significantly better just due to taking away the off ball weakness. 

Now the best offense is the NBA history is hyperbole as its completely opinion based at this time but that's what I believe will genuinely happen. I am willing to say it and stand on it. 

I've also said that this is Trae's Draymond Green. He unlocks Trae like Draymond unlocks Steph. 

5 things to cover: 

1. I am coming out with the updated big board list in a few weeks. Post March Madness edition

2. Zach Edey isn't someone I see as a lock to be a star. In fact, I see him as a 6th to 7th man on most teams at best. 

3. To draft Edey, you need to answer these questions:

1. Do you use drop coverage or do you like using drop coverage? This is also for Clingan as well who's another drop coverage 5.

2. Do you see Edey as 1st or 2nd option? If not, he's a backup for you. In that case, do you see him as a 1st or 2nd option off the bench. I believe more than a handful of teams will say yes to this. 2

3. Most importantly, do you have one of the three heliocentric players who use their center as an ext of themselves. Those three players are James Harden, Luka Doncic, and Trae Young. If you do, Edey should be at the top of your list.

4. Based on as much film as I've watched. I believe Edey will be a 6th man or 7th man short and long-term unless you are a team with Luka, Trae, or Harden. In that case, he's a starter. Edey will produce but he needs to be featured unlike Clingan. This makes Clingan an easier fit personnel-wise. 

5. This is what Edey brings to an NBA team today that's already one of the best in the league: 

He's already a top 3 screen setter

He's already the best movement big man in the NBA just by having two movement packages.

Top 3 rebounder right now in the NBA

Top 3 offensive rebounder in the NBA right now

Top 10 defensive rebounder right now

Best box out-defensive big right now

Excellent roller

Elite finisher

Elite body control

Elite FT drawing ability

High-end mental acuity (BBIQ, feel for the game, awareness)

Ability to fix our biggest issue which is scoring an easy basket. Something we struggle with, when we need an easy basket, we can't get it. 

Elite motor

Values possession by possession hoops

Elite stamina

Elite health and mental makeup

Elite helper

Tremendous 1v1 post-up player. - top 90% in 1v1. 

This is what Edey brings right now at a high level to a NBA team.

Doesn't bring much of anything in terms of defensive versatility and is a B- to B drop defender. This is better than Damian Jones and Alex Len but not on the level of prime Dedmon in Atlanta much less any of our current 5s in Atlanta.  

For him to become a starter with most teams, I truly believe he will have to improve as a drop defender and become like Marc Gasol which could take years if it happens at all. 

Minutes matter. Oscar T is the best rebounder in the NBA if he got the minutes but he doesn't get the minutes. 

To me, Edey is unique. I haven't seen anyone like him before. If he was on the Hawks right now, with the improvements he's made this year. We would have a massive steal and we wouldn't be in the same position as we are currently. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

5 things to cover: 

1. I am coming out with the updated big board list in a few weeks. Post March Madness edition

2. Zach Edey isn't someone I see as a lock to be a star. In fact, I see him as a 6th to 7th man on most teams at best. 

3. To draft Edey, you need to answer these questions:

1. Do you use drop coverage or do you like using drop coverage? This is also for Clingan as well who's another drop coverage 5.

2. Do you see Edey as 1st or 2nd option? If not, he's a backup for you. In that case, do you see him as a 1st or 2nd option off the bench. I believe more than a handful of teams will say yes to this. 2

3. Most importantly, do you have one of the three heliocentric players who use their center as an ext of themselves. Those three players are James Harden, Luka Doncic, and Trae Young. If you do, Edey should be at the top of your list.

4. Based on as much film as I've watched. I believe Edey will be a 6th man or 7th man short and long-term unless you are a team with Luka, Trae, or Harden. In that case, he's a starter. Edey will produce but he needs to be featured unlike Clingan. This makes Clingan an easier fit personnel-wise. 

5. This is what Edey brings to an NBA team today that's already one of the best in the league: 

He's already a top 3 screen setter

He's already the best movement big man in the NBA just by having two movement packages.

Top 3 rebounder right now in the NBA

Top 3 offensive rebounder in the NBA right now

Top 10 defensive rebounder right now

Best box out-defensive big right now

Excellent roller

Elite finisher

Elite body control

Elite FT drawing ability

High-end mental acuity (BBIQ, feel for the game, awareness)

Ability to fix our biggest issue which is scoring an easy basket. Something we struggle with, when we need an easy basket, we can't get it. 

Elite motor

Values possession by possession hoops

Elite stamina

Elite health and mental makeup

Elite helper

Tremendous 1v1 post-up player. - top 90% in 1v1. 

This is what Edey brings right now at a high level to a NBA team.

Doesn't bring much of anything in terms of defensive versatility and is a B- to B drop defender. This is better than Damian Jones and Alex Len but not on the level of prime Dedmon in Atlanta much less any of our current 5s in Atlanta.  

For him to become a starter with most teams, I truly believe he will have to improve as a drop defender and become like Marc Gasol which could take years if it happens at all. 

Minutes matter. Oscar T is the best rebounder in the NBA if he got the minutes but he doesn't get the minutes. 

To me, Edey is unique. I haven't seen anyone like him before. If he was on the Hawks right now, with the improvements he's made this year. We would have a massive steal and we wouldn't be in the same position as we are currently. 

These are great points. My fascination with Edey is his pairing with Trae Young. Edey checks a lot boxes with the pairing of Trae Young and we can even keep Murray long term with Edeys size & skillset.

I would take Clingan also to pair with Trae. Unfortunately for us I do not believe the hawks FO are going to look at either…sadly. We really need a big man but I’m seeing most mocks have us drafting a guard and not a big man.

i think first pick for the hawks should be Edey but Edey is barely in most mock drafts lottery picks so that should tell you how much he’s valued to the so called scout experts. Maybe it’s because your reasoning you listed above of Edey needing to paired with a guard who heavily utilizes screens.

I can’t wait to hear from you and the other insiders on who the hawks are favoring in this draft once we know where they are picking,

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

How? How do we know the sky 🌌 isn’t red? We see it. 👀  :huh: That’s how playa! 😃 

Sorry Spud but that's BS. You would have said the same about Brook Lopez, AL Horford, OO, JC, KAT, etc...

None of them showed you anything in college and all have proven - to one degree or another - to be capable 3pt threats in the NBA.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JTB said:

These are great points. My fascination with Edey is his pairing with Trae Young. Edey checks a lot boxes with the pairing of Trae Young and we can even keep Murray long term with Edeys size & skillset.

I would take Clingan also to pair with Trae. Unfortunately for us I do not believe the hawks FO are going to look at either…sadly. We really need a big man but I’m seeing most mocks have us drafting a guard and not a big man.

i think first pick for the hawks should be Edey but Edey is barely in most mock drafts lottery picks so that should tell you how much he’s valued to the so called scout experts. Maybe it’s because your reasoning you listed above of Edey needing to paired with a guard who heavily utilizes screens.

I can’t wait to hear from you and the other insiders on who the hawks are favoring in this draft once we know where they are picking,

I don't believe anyone should worry about any mock in terms of who their team wants to draft yet. 

It's when you get close to the draft, a couple of trusted guys get Intel and that's usually what happens. For example. For two years straight, we tired to move up for Casen Wallace and Jalen Williams. But OKC blocked both. 

Edited by NBASupes