• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

OO is a damn good defensive center.  He has to cover to much for the poor perimeter defense to truly appreciate how good his overall defense is.  He can do everything defensively.  He can rim protect.  He can guard one on one.  He can switch and keep guards from penetrating.  

With Edey, you will have to plant him under the basket because he can’t do anything else.   He will have the defensive three seconds rule to deal with in the NBA that will hurt him. 

Even in a drop scheme, you have to be able to move quickly from playing the level of the screen to dropping into the paint.  He will get boat raced by NBA players in that setting.  

Ron Holland, Stephon Castle, and Ryan Dunn are all great POA defenders.  Tidjane Salaun has great tools.  Jakobe Walter has tools. 

OO weakness is covering for the entire defense. He's late on rotations and he's out of sync more times than Bruno or Capela. 

His strength his his iso defense which is world class. Obviously, he struggles with Sabonis but everyone has a guy that gets the best of them. 

I don't know what OO you talking about but this ain't my brotha, Oyneka Okongwu. He doesn't do everything defensively. None of our defenders do. Bruno is probably the most capable but he's such a terrible paint protector, he's useless when Trae is in the game. 

There is a lot more to defense than switching, rim pro, and isolation defense. 

Thats not true, even Hollinger went into detail about this with Edey. 

We showed you plenty where he handled the drop coverage well in switch situation but you ignore it and said, wait till he's in the NBA. Your message is consistent. Anything good is bad, anything bad is accurate. 

Holland is not a great POA at this stage. 

Castle and Dunn are. Neither are close to shooting at the level they need to, to really get PT in year 1. Dunn shooting is Capela level, I am not sure he will ever get there but you never know. I won't count out any man. Hard-work, great coaching, and proper development matters.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Ah, it’s the old “Al Horford isn’t a center” group only it’s about OO now.   Got to get the guy that can’t do nearly as much as OO on the court because he’s big.  

Al Horford is the greatest player in Atlanta Hawks history to me. Ask @AHF how I feel about Al. I don't see OO anywhere in the same area code much less state. 

Steve Kerr said it best

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/26/steve-kerr-praises-al-horford-as-perfect-modern-day-center/

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/2/5/18202643/the-quiet-brilliance-al-horford-boston-celtics-brad-stevens-kyrie-irving-warriors-thunder-adams-nba

This is literally what I wrote about Al on RealGM

He's been the main piece behind two #1 seeds.

His impact on the game is always beyond numbers and ALWAYS appears on the game tape.

His movement both on offense and defense, ability to break from the play to the right read like a top tier NFL route runner.

His defensive awareness.

His defensive movement with his quick hands.

His elite agility off of the ball.

His screen setting ability, especially off script screens which are backdoor cuts, flares, pin down curls, at the ability to finish while making an elite decision off of that.

His intangibles are as good as anyone I've ever seen in the NBA ever.

His ability to run all sets of offenses. You can put him in an isotype offense, movement type offense, grit n' grind type of offense, uptempo, midtempo, slow tempo, perimeter-centric, post-centric, screen-centric, PnR centric offense.

His ability to defend multiple positions and not just protect one player on the court but ALL players on the court on defense.

His ability to blend into his teammates' strengths which further helps them in terms of development and impact.

We have seen this with almost every player who's played with Horford.

He's the most impactful player I've seen that gets no respect for his impact. I mean, we see Giannis, LeBron, Kobe, etc. But it's like Al does SO MUCH more to make others better but gets no respect. I've heard knowledgeable fans compare him to Horace Grant who was, all in all, a good role player but he didn't make no one's life easier. He just had a define skill-set which is similar to Al's but it completely removes all of what Al can do above which Horace could NEVER do.

Maybe I just see the game better than most and of course, I've seen 100's of Al's games live or different versions of the tape so I have more experience with him than many others do but at some point, put some respect on his name.

OO just isn't that. What I love about OO is he can switch, his isolation post defense is world class, he can rim protect, he plays with a good motor for the most part but his awareness is lacking, he doesn't feel confident in space and fouls too much, you really can't ask him to do too much. I feel like Bruno and Clint can be asked to do more even if they aren't great at it. They can do it. OO just gets lost mentally. He was a perfect fit with Nate who just wanted OO to do what he does at a high level. 

Edited by NBASupes

Every single team that has NBA talent has either simply beat Edey to the rim with the PNR or they have the elbow jumper all game long because of his inability to drop deep and then close out.  Connecticut had 44 points in the paint in the championship game.  

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Every single team that has NBA talent has either simply beat Edey to the rim with the PNR or they have the elbow jumper all game long because of his inability to drop deep and then close out.  Connecticut had 44 points in the paint in the championship game.  

We know. Edey is worse than Boban to you. He's makes Tacko Fall look like Shaq to you and no one can develop him because he can't be developed. Everyone can be developed by Hawks University but Zach Edey. We get it. 

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

OO is a damn good defensive center.  He has to cover to much for the poor perimeter defense to truly appreciate how good his overall defense is.  He can do everything defensively.  He can rim protect.  He can guard one on one.  He can switch and keep guards from penetrating.  

OO problem is that he lacks size. It’s very clear that OO cannot be a guaranteed starter in this league. Even when he does everything right his size combined with his strength plays against him. We were getting out rebounded and absolutely torched when OO started at center for us this season. Unfortunately OO could not beat out Capela for the starting role for clear reasons.

i like OO at the 4 as a backup at this point but he to keep putting the work in on his shooting. Great progress this season however. 

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:With Edey, you will have to plant him under the basket because he can’t do anything else.   He will have the defensive three seconds rule to deal with in the NBA that will hurt him.

again I believe Edey moves better than you give him credit for especially for 7’4 guy. Also you have to keep in mind how much ground this guy covers with his length alone!…God didn’t bless him with exceptional athleticism but he did bless him with size and length combined with good IQ and hustle.

Even in a drop scheme, you have to be able to move quickly from playing the level of the screen to dropping into the paint.  He will get boat raced by NBA players in that setting.

this is why it all matters because it all works hand in hand. Better perimeter defense is going to be needed no matter what center is starting next season that’s just facts. Edey is not going to just get ran over by every nba player. He has enough size to allow him to defend in space and a crazy ass wingspan to allow him to  retreat and protect the rim. There is no perfect center available. I will say Clingan is better defensively for sure and I will take him in a draft but you still have to address the POA defense on the perimeter even if it’s 1 player who’s an upgrade.

Ron Holland, Stephon Castle, and Ryan Dunn are all great POA defenders.  Tidjane Salaun has great tools.  Jakobe Walter has tools. 

I like Castle but not high on the other two. I guess I was expecting you to come back with some actual trade targets and I should have made that clear. I don’t see any perimeter draft player capable of helping us immediately personally. 

• Like 1

OO as a back up but Edey is a starter due to his size.  😂 

I guess Boban should be starting due to his size as well.  

Someone should tell Miami that Bam Adebayo is too small to be a center.  

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Unfortunately, Quin isn’t God.  He will never be able to make Edey a better athlete or defender.  

Yea that kind of black and white statement is crap and you know better.

18 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Someone should tell Miami that Bam Adebayo is too small to be a center.  

Well shit I thought they learned this last season when jokic whooped his ass in the finals but I see the lesson has to be learned again vs the Celtics.

YEAH….the heat lack size and it shows. Not hard to see. Bam is great and holds his own best he can but he’d be a lot better if he weren’t their only true big man that can play long minutes for the heat.

i think the hawks, warriors, heat all need to get with the times and rethink how this league is structured when it comes to centers.

too many legitimate skilled 7 footers or very close to 7 foot centers impacting the game today to simply just ignore it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

Well shit I thought they learned this last season when jokic whooped his ass in the finals but I see the lesson has to be learned again vs the Celtics.

YEAH….the heat lack size and it shows. Not hard to see. Bam is great and holds his own best he can but he’d be a lot better if he weren’t their only true big man that can play long minutes for the heat.

i think the hawks, warriors, heat all need to get with the times and rethink how this league is structured when it comes to centers.

too many legitimate skilled 7 footers or very close to 7 foot centers impacting the game today to simply just ignore it.

Yet you want to use the 10th pick on an unskilled 7-footer who isn’t anywhere near the ball park that Chet Holmgren and Victor Wemby are.  

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

On the same show

McCants said he needs to be top 10 and the Hornets and Hawks need to take him

Sheed said he should he the 1st overall pick. 

On the same exact show. 

Just now, NBASupes said:

On the same show

McCants said he needs to be top 10 and the Hornets and Hawks need to take him

Sheed said he should he the 1st overall pick. 

On the same exact show. 

They are idiots then.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Yet you want to use the 10th pick on an unskilled 7-footer who isn’t anywhere near the ball park that Chet Holmgren and Victor Wemby are.  

Averaging 30+ PPG per40 and 28+ PPG per36 which is more than Shaq, Wemby, Chet, or most other elite players but he's unskilled, right....

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Skill.  Dribble, pass, shoot.  

So he lacks skill.  He can’t cover ground quickly.  He can’t jump.  

But he’s 7-4, so let’s take him.  

Bro trying to change locked in definitions in real time to fit his agenda. Hilarious!

Edited by NBASupes

21 minutes ago, KB21 said:

They are idiots then.  

So if I agree with KB, I am smart

But if I disagree with KB, I'm an idiot 

Is that how this works?

Put me on idiot island. 

I want to be with the people who use the eye test for deductive reasoning, watch a lot of film, evaluate all data and statistics available to them, make constructive reports and provide transparency at all time.

The smart folks don't have to do that. All they have to do is use the eye test. Nothing else is even needed. Must be nice.