• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

Just now, KB21 said:

Clingan, despite all his elite rim protection, can still only defend the 5.  Zach Edey can’t defend a chair.  Kel’el Ware has the potential to defend 4-5.  

He can play drop coverage at an exceptionally high rate. 

With Trae, that matters massively. 

We don't get killed due to PnRs, we get killed off the ball, in transition because of turnovers and PITP. Sarr ain't changing that with off ball failures like Trae on the court defensively. His metrics completely crater as a drop coverage big. He's world class as a switch, man, and rim protector. He got some exceptional qualities but Trae has a way to f*** them up just due to his lack of tools and measurements on D. His effort is there and he now.fights through screens and isn't much of a liability as a PnR and man defender. But he's still the worst in the NBA off the ball and really, nothing can change that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Offense matters a lot and defense does too. If you can't protect the paint and play well in drop coverage because you aren't a real big, you are basically a switchable big wing, nothing wrong with that if he's a 4. But as a 5, that's asking to be abused in the NBA. 

JJ also is our 4 and he's likely to be a broader line all star. We would have to trade him at some point for Sarr

Anyone thinking Sarr is this sweet fit is delusional af. There is nothing in his metrics or game film that shows a positive fit with Trae. He will be fine with Quin. He fits what Quin likes and Quin can find a center who fits Sarr. But that means we aren't playing Trae ball no more. 

If you want Sarr and you want him to work, Trae has to go. Otherwise, his bust potential is off the charts. He's terrible at every area Trae needs you to be great at. 

Interesting you say this because you were telling us how JJ needed to be traded early in the season and we needed to stop overrating our own players as fans.  I forgot what you were trying to support when saying this. 

Your issue is you are saying JJ OO and Sarr are this one thing.  They are all tweeners. OO can defend the paint.  JJ can defend 3 and 4's. Sarr can defend 2-4's.  

That's seems to fit to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If we trade for BI/Daniels/picks. We need Clingan. 

Trae

Bogi

BI

JJ

Clingan 

Gives us a legit 50 win+ team yearly. 

Supers,

I dont agreed with that, I been looking at Clingan stuff and he looks like another Capella plus he does not have a jump shot or range to deal with the mobile 4 and 5 in the league. 

• Like 2

Just now, marco102 said:

Interesting you say this because you were telling us how JJ needed to be traded early in the season and we needed to stop overrating our own players as fans.  I forgot what you were trying to support when saying this. 

Your issue is you are saying JJ OO and Sarr are this one thing.  They are all tweeners. OO can defend the paint.  JJ can defend 3 and 4's. Sarr can defend 2-4's.  

That's seems to fit to me.

JJ got a lot better. He did what he was suppose to do. Improve and build a skillset that could help us in terms of winning games. 

I don't know how that's a shot at me. I can't project if someone makes minor improvements over the years and they have a massive jump, that's not predictable. It doesn't fit the metrics charts. 

JJ was someone many felt should be most improved. That's a testament to himself. 

3 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Supers,

I dont agreed with that, I been looking at Clingan stuff and he looks like another Capella plus he does not have a jump shot or range to deal with the mobile 4 and 5 in the league. 

I'll take that. That was getting us and Houston 10-12 WAR. That's us being in the top 3-4 every year and being better than the Knicks and Pacers. Give me that.  He's better than Capela to me but if that's what he is, I'll take it. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If you want to sell me on Sarr potential, I can see it as well but not with Trae. 

I thought Trae was a superstar he should be able to play with anyone and make them better,  right?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, marco102 said:

It wasn't a shot at you. It was just an example to show you that these metrics are one thing and fine to take them into account, but they no way predict the future.  I don't overreact either way to most things because it's out of my control.  Whoever, the Hawks pick I'll wish them the best. 

I'm not even the biggest Sarr fan, yet but I can see the potential there and okay if they go for that.

All I ask is they improve this defense and not get killed on the boards with improving this defense.

And btw, when someone brings up something you've said in the past, it's not a shot at you. It's to calm you down when you go on these rants.

We all see the potential because he's extraordinary talent. Someone just upped a post from me saying only Edey with the Hawks and Sarr in the right situation can be a MVP from this class. So it's not like I am down on this kid completely. I am high on his talent and if you are patient, you could hit a grand slam with his upside as a big wing.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Vol4ever said:

I thought Trae was a superstar he should be able to play with anyone and make them better,  right?

We already seen that, that's not the case. Sadly, Trae is a poor floor general. He's an elite offensive juggernaut who excels at the PnR. The best PnR player I've ever seen 

Just now, NBASupes said:

We all see the potential because he's extraordinary talent. Someone just upped a post from me saying only Edey with the Hawks and Sarr in the right situation can be a MVP from this class. So it's not like I am down on this kid completely. I am high on his talent and if you are patient, you could hit a grand slam with his upside as a big wing.

Big wing, whatever you want to call him. If that's what he turns out to be that's good for us. 

As long as he can defend, rebound and take on certain centers, we'll be fine.  As far as lineups, you'll have to imagine the unconventional from time to time.  That's what GS did and that got them several rings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I'll take that. That was getting us and Houston 10-12 WAR. That's us being in the top 3-4 every year and being better than the Knicks and Pacers. Give me that.  He's better than Capela to me but if that's what he is, I'll take it. 

The only strategy that team seems to employ is to draw him out of the lane or shoot over him. Similar to KP and Horford in Boston, they create a gap in the middle as wide open as a 24/7 shop, putting us in a precarious position.

37 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We need Clingan. 

Wait, weren’t you arguing that Edey, the projected teens pick or lower is better than Clingan for a couple months now. :huh:

Dude, you got me twisted 24/7. If that’s your thinking then why not take Edey 1st overall 😆 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

@NBASupes Hawks University should help him adjust. I saw Deandre Hunter go from a ball stopper with tunnel vision to someone who could flow within the offense and make decisive reads in a season.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Big wing, whatever you want to call him. If that's what he turns out to be that's good for us. 

As long as he can defend, rebound and take on certain centers, we'll be fine.  As far as lineups, you'll have to imagine the unconventional from time to time.  That's what GS did and that got them several rings.

The reason why I say he's a big wing is because he's strong in areas you want big wings to be exceptional at. 

Offensive rebounds

Attaching aggressive closeouts

Finishing when slashing straight line 

Can finish through contact from the perimeter 

While he's not a good C&S guy yet, I clearly see the upside. 

I really think he's comparable to Jaden McDaniels but he's better. Way better. Bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, better lateral quickness. I think Sarr is a potential monster if used right. His offensive upside is legit. While he's more of an open court guy, his ability to dribble and create for a 7ft + is rare. He's not KD or anything like that. But a potential 18ppg with world class defense for a big wing who's 7'1 is groundbreaking. He can lock up small guards. That's what makes him different. His offensive floor is extremely low but he has promise. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

The reason why I say he's a big wing is because he's strong in areas you want big wings to be exceptional at. 

Offensive rebounds

Attaching aggressive closeouts

Finishing when slashing straight line 

Can finish through contact from the perimeter 

While he's not a good C&S guy yet, I clearly see the upside. 

I really think he's comparable to Jaden McDaniels but he's better. Way better. Bigger, stronger, faster, quicker, better lateral quickness. I think Sarr is a potential monster if used right. His offensive upside is legit. While he's more of an open court guy, his ability to dribble and create for a 7ft + is rare. He's not KD or anything like that. But a potential 18ppg with world class defense for a big wing who's 7'1 is groundbreaking. He can lock up small guards. That's what makes him different. His offensive floor is extremely low but he has promise. 

This is why we need him. No one in this draft is a perfect fit, but if we get someone who can be a point of attack defender, I don't really care about their offense while they develop.  Trae will take care of that.  

• Like 1